Author Topic: Static AA-Bren Hit Indicator  (Read 1881 times)

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
Static AA-Bren Hit Indicator
« on: 30-07-2012, 09:07:55 »
The Fixed AA-Brens can now shoot horizontally. Thank you very much for this improvement. However I do still have a question: Do they hit anything? While I sometimes manage to get a hitmarker when firing the usual Bren (kit weapon) at planes, I never saw a hitmarker while using the static bren, though I was also firing at slow moving targets. First I led the target, as with any weapon, but as there was no marker I increased and decreased the leading but I still got no marker. I cannot tell if there was damage or not because I was not the only one firing at the planes. It irritates me because without the marker I cannot tell if I got the right leading distance or not. I cannot tell if the static brens hit anything earlier because I don't know anybody who can confirm a hit with them.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Static AA-Bren Hit Indicator
« Reply #1 on: 30-07-2012, 11:07:25 »
Bah, hit indicators are the biggest enemy of flying out there... It got better (but totally unrealistic because the stukas now take a dozen 20 mm shells and still keep going) with added angle mod on planes but I still think that flying would benefit from the removal of hit indicator...

In reality it's really hard to hit a fast moving plane, especially with WW II targeting equipment. The current situation in game is aim for 2 seconds while you lead and get hit indicator and a second later you got yourself a kill.

So about the Bren issue... I can't remember but I think I don't get hit indicators either... This needs to be looked into, if there are hit indicators they need to be activated for every weapon...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-07-2012, 13:07:28 »
You don't get hit indicators. But you get used to how to use the Bren AA. It's not even uneffective and you hit even when there's no indicator. It's a good thing. Would be too easy otherwise.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-07-2012, 17:07:58 »
You don't get hit indicators. But you get used to how to use the Bren AA. It's not even uneffective and you hit even when there's no indicator. It's a good thing. Would be too easy otherwise.
I remember getting them with the Bren AA. Leading the target is unnecessary on a Ju52 ;)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-07-2012, 18:07:29 »
Hmm, strange. I'm pretty sure I did not have them but I shot down planes nevertheless. I'm not 100 % sure though. Sorry if I told something wrong. Gotta check it out again when I have time :)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-07-2012, 20:07:16 »
Hmm, strange. I'm pretty sure I did not have them but I shot down planes nevertheless. I'm not 100 % sure though. Sorry if I told something wrong. Gotta check it out again when I have time :)
Same here, because I might be wrong there too: maybe it was back in 2.4 where I had them.

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31-07-2012, 05:07:33 »
I'd like to see the hit indicator removed from FH2 since its so cheap imo. Have players do it the FH1 way, double tap, wait for kill message then advance. I'd think that Dogfights and AA would be nerfed tho, since the engagements would actually be longer  due to the player's lack of relying on a hit indicator.
« Last Edit: 31-07-2012, 05:07:42 by Cheesus Krighst »

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01-08-2012, 22:08:45 »
My impression is that planes are quite powerfull because of their ammunition having a great range of destruction, while the AA capabilities are constantly reduced. I'm good at AA and see the pilots getting frustrated and then complaining here and in the next patch the AA range and ammo is reduced and bombs radius increased. This is not fair.
I shot pilots with bren and rifle out of their planes because they flew too low though it was 1 in 100 attempts, I shot karel's and other good players planes in 2.4 several times with bofors. But in the process I died more often than they did, but this is not told. The pilots complain if they cannot shoot everything on the ground without a threat, but AA should be a threat to planes and not only a trap for infantry believing in its inexistent AA capability.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-08-2012, 00:08:56 »
Same here, because I might be wrong there too: maybe it was back in 2.4 where I had them.
I checked it today on the 130 server, and I didn't get any hit indicators, so I guess my memory was from 2.4

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-08-2012, 13:08:22 »
Brens are already very weak against planes. The damage is minimal, so why removing the hit indicator only for the brens? Please remove it for all weapons or for none. I'm for the latter.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05-08-2012, 16:08:13 »
Please don't let it become an issue on wether to keep or do away with hit indicators. They belong in the game, and make it playable. Especially if you have jerk-o-vision or lag it's nice to know if you hit something or not. In a perfect world I'd say remove them, but for balance-sake keep them in.

But to stay OT: the AA Bren on Crete doesn't have one, and since you will never shoot down a plane on its first strafe with it you don't have any way of knowing if you actually doing any damage to the plane. This makes the AA part of the Bren kinda useless (although I like that they changed its traverse)
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-08-2012, 17:08:43 »
I don't feel it's that useless. You will find me at one whenever I'm Brit on Crete, because I actually like them. It's true, it does not make superior damage, but I killed some Ju52 or Stukas which were trying to get height and  were therefore slow. But even at normal flight you can damage them enough that they have to turn away and fly back to base or to make it easier for the Bofors guys to finish em off.

The traverse change is indeed nice. You can hold off infantry coming from the beach towards Chania pretty succesfully. Furhtermore there is less of a "dead angle" where you can't hit the planes because they are right above you. I'm fine with it and it's not meant to be a superior AA weapon. Not everything in the game needs to be a generally powerful tool. But yea, I see what you are thinking. When all other weapons got hi indicators, why should it not have one too ? So yea, I agree to add them.

Relating the hit indicators: I personally don't care if there are hit indicators or not. Played a FlH tournament without them and it was nice too. Imo, you get used to it very fast. Non existing hit indicators are really nice when flying a plane imo, feels a lot better in dogfights. But sometimes it's nice to know if you hit the long range shot and to know if he got injured or you simply missed him. I'm indifferent about that, but because most people might not like them to be removed, it's probably better to keep them.
« Last Edit: 05-08-2012, 19:08:33 by Surfbird »