Author Topic: Requesting Reinforcements!: Forgotten Hope 2 Update  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
Update coming at 21:00 GMT.

Requesting Reinforcements!

Enjoy! If one can say this for this update.  ;)
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Reinforcements!: Forgotten Hope 2 Update
« Reply #1 on: 04-06-2012, 21:06:29 »
Not bad :)

Offline Yoghurt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-06-2012, 21:06:11 »
Will I ever see you on a server again nissi?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-06-2012, 21:06:54 »
Is that a goodbye update from (or for) Azreal? I feel sad again...  :(
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-06-2012, 22:06:23 »
I am sad and excite at the same time.
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-06-2012, 22:06:23 »
Update?! now? did I miss something?

That can only mean one thing, more shermans!

Offline OlBloodnGuts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-06-2012, 22:06:24 »
Interesting timing...
BloodnGuts - On to the Rhine, on to Berlin!

Offline Yoghurt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-06-2012, 22:06:04 »
It will be about them needing new devs. Any bets?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-06-2012, 23:06:05 »
Good title :)

Yay! First!

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-06-2012, 08:06:43 »
In soviet Russia, landscape create you!

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05-06-2012, 13:06:57 »
Can't answer to this call. I'm already on France 1940 (alone).
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-06-2012, 14:06:43 »
Can't answer to this call. I'm already on France 1940 (alone).

Not necessarily that alone. You got a PM however.

Offline Beatrix[NL]

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-06-2012, 22:06:54 »
Although I am not involved with the development of this mod, I have been an long term player and fan.
I do strongly suggest, however, to consider a move towards a stand-alone version of Forgotten Hope. As a professional 3D artist myself with connections in the game industry I can quite objectively say that the content of this mod rivals  the quality of AAA commercial titles.

A move towards the UDK engine might offer many more opportunities and is more affordable than ever. The way I feel about this mod now is that amazing talent and countless hours are being put in a project that is rapidly decreasing in popularity, which makes me sad and quite frankly a little frustrated.

A move to new technology will attract a new playerbase and most likely many more developers (including myself :) ). The mod has many assets that can quite easily be ported without needing much (if any) rework on them, as they are of high quality already.

Hell, many crappy projects get crowd funding nowadays and the climate for indie developers has never been better. The big advantage this team has, is that many many assets are ready and it could therefore launch a full game in a relatively short period of time. Sure it will be hard work, but I honestly believe that it will lead to a much brighter future for the project.

I appologize for what might be experienced as a bold statement, but I really had to get this off of my chest.
Please feel free to comment.

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-06-2012, 22:06:45 »
It would've been worth moving to stand-alone A LONG TIME AGO, because if they decide to do it now, it will take a shitton of time to convert everything they've done until now. But if they do, I'd suggest a kickstarter project, and informing TB of the project, so he can promote this in his Kicksmarter show.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Beatrix[NL]

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-06-2012, 23:06:40 »
It would've been worth moving to stand-alone A LONG TIME AGO, because if they decide to do it now, it will take a shitton of time to convert everything they've done until now. But if they do, I'd suggest a kickstarter project, and informing TB of the project, so he can promote this in his Kicksmarter show.

Kickstarter might be an idea, especially since this mod already has something to show. It would be unrealistic to port the full mod, but this essentially is a luxury issue when you think of it. The devs can basically decide which theatre would be most appealing or suitable to start with. Launching a game with 5 maps is perfectly acceptable.

To elaborate a bit further, I am not necessarily suggesting that the mod should go commercial. What I am essentially saying is that the current engine does not have any future, and that further development (in my opinion) is wasted effort (put harshly). This would not be bad if this were a amateuristic small project.
I think many players don't realize how much time and effort goes into making something as simple as a static object (especially at this level of quality). This is what frustrates me most, seeing all this awesome work go into a project that runs on a game with an ever decreasing playerbase. FH should evolve, the time has never been better to do so with multi-million dollar game engines free of charge (UDK, CryEngine) and at 25 percent royalty when used commercially, projects like Kickstarter (as Steel_Lion_FIN mentioned), a very loyal fanbase, and above all one of the most talented development team ever.

Then again, who am I to judge? I realize that most developers foremost see this as a hobby, which makes perfect sense. The thing is, however, that I for one think that none of the existing commercial titles come even close to offering such a fine-crafted, well balanced and atmospheric experience as this mod does. In my opinion the developers owe it to themselves to give this mod a shot at becoming something much bigger.
The sad alternative I foresee is that in a year or two it will not have any playerbase left.