Author Topic: Day Z (Survival Zombie Simulator)  (Read 16610 times)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Day Z (Survival Zombie Simulator)
« on: 16-05-2012, 17:05:42 »
Last week I saw that a friend suddenly bought ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead. He never liked ArmA2 and it wasn't on sale so I asked him why he had bought it. The answer was Day Z.

What is Day Z I hear you ask? You didn't ask..? Well I'm going to post it anyways! Day Z is a survival zombie simulator that is based on ArmAII and Operation Arrowhead. Some sort of disease infected a lot of people and turned them into mindless flesh-craving zombies. You, the survivor, are in Chernarus and the situation is bleak. You only got a Makarov, some cans of beans, a bottle of water and some medicines. You spawn randomly along the coast of Chernarus and need to survive. Basically, this game is what you see in shows like the Walking Dead, movies like Dawn of the Dead. You are just out there, paranoid and scared, trying to scavenge and survive.

That is the whole point of this mod, to survive. And it is not easy. You can't compare this zombie game to Left4Dead or any other zombie game you ever, ever played. This is the hardest game ever and the developers even stated that they did absolutely no balance, they avoided balance. Frankly I even think they hate balance.

You are out there all alone and need to move quiet and slowly, the wild nature is mostly empty. The Z's are all in the urban areas. But the problem is, all supplies are in the urban areas. And you need those supplies. Weapons, food, water, medicines, ammunition and vehicle parts, it's all there. And yes, car parts. Because you can fix up vehicles. Even helicopters. But the zombies are not the only challenge. The zombies are the easy part. You know what the hardest part is? Other survivors. You never know if you can trust them because it's anarchy and everyone needs their stuff. Some people might co-operate but others might rob you or kill you for your stuff. And did I tell you that there's no respawn? If you die, you die. You lose your stuff and need to start a new life. I told you it was hard.. But it gets worse.

Let me sum it up a nice list of the things that make this game hard:
- The nights are dark and full of terror. I mean it, the nights are pitch black and you can't see a damn thing and the flashlights/flares attract both zombies and survivors.
- There's no respawn, if you die you lose all your stuff and you need to start all over again.
- You can't see names above people so you never know who you are dealing with, this game makes you really paranoid and indecisive.
- You can sneak around zombies with crouch and prone but if you get busted and shoot one, many more will come. Zombies are attracted by light and noise.
- All supplies are in urban areas, guarded by zombies. But guess who are also in the urban areas? Bandits, the survivors that choose to kill others for their own benefit.
- You need to drink and eat to survive. If you don't drink and eat enough you will weaken. In the end you will starve to death.
- Servers run real time, when it's dark out your window, it's dark in the server. So if you are a Euro, join US servers. US other way around.
- Your character is saved and you can use the same character on every server you join.

This is one of the most intense games I ever played, I am continuously thrilled while playing it. Scared, paranoid, I am all of those things. And the immersion is fantastic. Sadly it is only in Alpha phase, the game is very buggy, hard to install and because it's so popular, all the servers are usually full.

http://dayzmod.com/
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z (Survival Zombie Simulator)
« Reply #1 on: 16-05-2012, 17:05:21 »
Watched a few videos about this mod and it really looks promising.
It´s no run-and-gun/blast-em-to-hell type of game, such as L4D, but more a FPRPG, where you have to stay alive and overcome not only the living and the undead, but also your own physical needs.

I´ve never really been a few of the Arma series, as it felt really sluggish and hard to get into, but this mod sounds really promising.
Except for OA, is there anything else I need to play this mod (or maybe other Arma mods, such as the I44 mod)?
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16-05-2012, 17:05:49 »
Let me sum it up a nice list of the things that make this game hard:
- There's no respawn, if you die you lose all your stuff and you need to start all over again.
- You can't see names above people so you never know who you are dealing with, this game makes you really paranoid and indecisive.
Bandit status however follows you even after death, so think twice before going on killing spree.

Player names show or don't show depending on server settings. I play on regular difficulty servers, mostly to have 3p view and they usually have name tags on. There is even some swedish servers that play on some super easy difficulty with player showing on map and other people appearing on map if they are within viewrange.

@homer, you need both arma 2 and arma 2 OA as far as I know. Mod is launched through "Combined operations" (or something), that includes both.

Edit: I have posted some pics on screenshot thread earlier.
« Last Edit: 16-05-2012, 17:05:23 by ajappat »

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16-05-2012, 19:05:41 »
Played it last month. Like with many games, it plays better with people you know.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-05-2012, 21:05:18 »
I have never given two fucks abot them zombie games, but this looks like it could actually be a lot of fun.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16-05-2012, 21:05:43 »
It doesn't feel like a normal zombie game but it actually feels like the world you are watching in movies and series. It's scary but also awesome. And teamwork is the key to survival, so gather friends on Ventrilo/TS and go scavenging.

Though joining servers is really, really hard. Their servers can't handle all the players.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Tolga<3

• (No longer) terrorizing terrorists. :<
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16-05-2012, 22:05:07 »
You sound like a brochure there Fuchsy ;D Played it, very short time and thats the reason I didn't enjoy it. You need long term dedication if you want to get anywhere in DayZ :)
Epilepsy is bad.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-05-2012, 22:05:03 »
Thanks, I really liked the game and need writing practice.

But yes, if you play it make sure you got an hour or two to spare on the night you play it.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16-05-2012, 23:05:37 »
Even though it is only in Alpha, it is what Left 4 Dead for have been.

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-05-2012, 00:05:35 »
sounds too spookily for poor little CPS

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-05-2012, 04:05:41 »
Nope.

I still dont get why people are amazed by this. Apart from the persistence and realtime thing, this is pretty much Arma modding 101. I guess the best ideas are the simplest at the end of the day.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-05-2012, 05:05:06 »
Don't know if it's the same mod, but you might enjoy this Fuchs. My Arma2, friend gave it to me, will continue gathering dust however. It all looks nice and wide, I hate repeating myself, but it's an alpha engine at best.

Anyway, with wittering! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFIbjXeQmw&feature=relmfu

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17-05-2012, 11:05:27 »
Alright, played my first hour of this mod.
It´s really, really immersive. Right when I spawned there were around 6 Zombies close, only a few metres away. Fortunately these guys are rather slow and blind so I was able to sneak away.
I followed the coastline and suddenly spotted another figure coming my way. It turned out to be another survivor.
I didn´t trust him and he probably didn´t trust me, either, so we slowly parted, always checking our backs, incase the other would open fire. Fortunately that guy was one of the "good guys" and nothing happened.
After walking for a while I found a lighthouse, which was unfortunately empty, so I kept following the coastline, untill I hit a larger city with an industrial complex.
There were tons of Zeds, so I avoided that area. I tried to break into a house in the outskirts, but since there were just too many zombies around, I retreated.
Later I found a small farm which was inhabited by two Zombies. After dispatching them I searched their corpses but didn´t find anything. The farm also turned out to be empty. Damn.
Now I´m slowly running out of water and food, which means that I´ll sooner or later have to get inside a city. And city means many Zombies. And I also don´t have that much ammo for my Makarov. Damn, again.

Anyway, this mod is really good. Despite having killed only two Zombies it´s really, really immersive. The music and sounds are great and generate a paranoid feeling. It´s definately no run-and-gun-game, but more of a RPG, where staying alive is the most important thing.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline K.Cower

• I use immersive HUD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17-05-2012, 14:05:25 »
Sinn Féin

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17-05-2012, 15:05:39 »
Hah. I honestly don't get it why people are yelling in global chat about where they are. Also, "friend or foe"? Really? Obviously "foe" would answer friend, to get easy shot on that poor guy. And it happens so often  ;D

Edit:
I still dont get why people are amazed by this. Apart from the persistence and realtime thing, this is pretty much Arma modding 101. I guess the best ideas are the simplest at the end of the day.

Maybe. It might be simple, but something "new". Not month ago we were playing some killing floor with my friends and talking how it would be nice to have real zombie survivor game, with emphasis more on surviving, less on shooting their brains out. This turns out to be just that and is going even deeper (the "illness" meter, yet to be implented).
« Last Edit: 17-05-2012, 15:05:05 by ajappat »