Author Topic: Help :| hi build a new computer!  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
Re: Help :| hi build a new computer!
« Reply #15 on: 11-10-2011, 05:10:40 »
Are there any recommended ram companies, or I should say recommended brands to buy ram from?

Corsair makes good ram, I'll take a DDR3 model along with a mother board from asus and you'll be set.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-10-2011, 06:10:05 »
Alright, I'll get corsair for ram, as in previous threads I have also heard of good experiences with it.

I'm looking at a asus motherboard right now, actually

Thoughts on this? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-10-2011, 06:10:39 »
Alright, I'll get corsair for ram, as in previous threads I have also heard of good experiences with it.

Thoughts on this? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730

It's good. If you're planning to get an i5, i7. I recommend 8gb of 1066 ddr3 ram. And a powersupply of 750W. Graphic cards can get stubborn and can suck plenty of power. 800W just to be sure.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11-10-2011, 08:10:33 »
After having no problems with the budget/generic RAM I bought for my first PC (which is still soldiering on years later), I've continued to cheap out on RAM... :)

When I built my current rig, I bought the cheapest DDR3 RAM the PC shop had (Brand? Strontium), and was able to tighten the timings to 7-7-7-20-1T @1333MHz from 9-9-9-25-2T.

@Yustax: 1066? I always thought speed was better when it came to Intel?

@Hi: If you decide to go AMD, just make sure you get a motherboard with the AM3+ socket.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11-10-2011, 09:10:47 »

It's good. If you're planning to get an i5, i7. I recommend 8gb of 1066 ddr3 ram. And a powersupply of 750W. Graphic cards can get stubborn and can suck plenty of power. 800W just to be sure.
Whoa no no wait what? 800W PSU? 500W is more than enough for basic i5/570 setup.
« Last Edit: 11-10-2011, 10:10:16 by Thorondor123 »
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11-10-2011, 10:10:31 »
I'm running i5, ATI5850HD, 6GB, etc. on a 500 W PSU. Calculated the peak consumption (based on tomshardware statistics and wikipedia), even this combo barely reaches 250W under maximum load.

Rule of thumb is that your peak consumption should not exceed 80% of your PSU's nominal max power output (drawing more power than the PSU can deliver may damage the PSU and/or the components; as PSU ages, it gives out less power, hence the safety margin).

You will only really need the "beefy" PSU's if you intend to run a very top-of-the-line graphics card (or two of them). Even upper-middle-class GFX card won't really require a 800 W PSU.
« Last Edit: 11-10-2011, 10:10:05 by Kelmola »

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11-10-2011, 11:10:33 »
I have a powersupply from Be Quiet with 600W. My last one has gone and damaged my mainboard so I decided to get a better one just to be sure. Next to this fact you can be sure, that you can have this powersupply propably for the next ten years if nothing serious happens. With the future in mind I would recommend you to spend a littlebit more money (around 100 bucks) for the powersupply. Be Quiet have a good variation of products so I would look for their products. I think around 600W should be ok. And keep in mind, that the GPX of the future will propably need a bit more power (also all other system parts).

http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/?StoryID=1&websiteLang=en

If you have a bit more money left you should spent it on an Intel based system. AMD is cheap but concerning gaming systems Intel is much better.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-10-2011, 20:10:47 »
Whoa no no wait what? 800W PSU? 500W is more than enough for basic i5/570 setup.[/quote]

And what if he wants to SLI graphic cards? The idea is to be sure and having a system that last 4-5 years.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11-10-2011, 20:10:51 »
Whoa no no wait what? 800W PSU? 500W is more than enough for basic i5/570 setup.

And what if he wants to SLI graphic cards? The idea is to be sure and having a system that last 4-5 years.
Then he would be horribly bottlenecked by his processor :P

800W for a 560/570 IS overkill in any case.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11-10-2011, 22:10:31 »
"Future graphics cards" or "what if SLI" is a poor excuse for a ludicrously overkill PSU. Power requirements for upper-middle class GFX cards have not increased several hunders of watts during the last few years, usually the next GPU generation gives more power for roughly the same wattage.

Sure, if you are going to run the ridiculously power-hungry, not to mention overpriced "best card ever - for the next two months", or two, then you will need that miniature nuclear plant. However, if one needs to ask for a recommendation, one is hardly going to go for those alternatives. SLI/Crossfire is just double the waste of money. Hello, it won't keep your system fastest on the block long enough to be a sensible investment. By buying the "next best thing" that's almost as fast, at a fraction of the price, means that the mighty 1 kW PSU will be idling even under full load.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12-10-2011, 01:10:24 »
Unsure about power supply? Got several harddrives? Wanna burn a dvd while scanning pictures? Try a calculater once you know your components:

http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/index.php?StoryID=44&websiteLang=en

http://www.be-quiet.net

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13-10-2011, 21:10:22 »
Currently I am looking at this to be my next harddrive : Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB
It is a 128 GB SSD. Enough to install Windows, your applications and games on.
If you want to speed up your loading time, get an SDD.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14-10-2011, 02:10:54 »
You'll suffer if you try to make a backup of your OS partition, realizing that you'll have to backup 128GB of data. ;D

My games partition got 448GB of data. So, wouldn't be an option for me. Even though I admit that it contains games that I didn't play for years.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14-10-2011, 09:10:14 »
To all considering purchasing a SSD: consider having a "regular" HDD as well and keep the swapfile, temporary directory, and the files you work with there. This is because SSD's only have a limited number of write cycles.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14-10-2011, 12:10:00 »
To all considering purchasing a SSD: consider having a "regular" HDD as well and keep the swapfile, temporary directory, and the files you work with there. This is because SSD's only have a limited number of write cycles.

Kemola, except under Extreme Lab enviroments this will not affect your SSD until after 10 years. Especially for the newer ones with the latest firmwares. Put the swap file on the SSD, it's faster and swap file is 70% reading and 30% writing, give or take a few.

Your temp dir on a regular HDD could be a bottleneck when downloading large files, because of the slower writes.
Agreed on the work files. These can be put on your regular drive.

@Dukat
Wow  :o

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)