Author Topic: Feedback on Sound and Effects  (Read 4186 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Feedback on Sound and Effects
« on: 20-07-2011, 09:07:51 »
THIS THREAD IS DEDICATED TO FEEDBACK OF ALL KINDS OF SOUND AND EFFECTS
(INCLUDING ANIMATION) IN FH2.

(Please write out your feedback as clear to the point as possible and possibly bolden salient point so that it can be picked up immediately - We understand we have people from a multitude of colourful and glossy cultures and English is not always our first language, but let's not be fancy ;))

« Last Edit: 20-07-2011, 09:07:24 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on Sound and Effects
« Reply #1 on: 20-07-2011, 09:07:44 »
First on my line of trait.....
Sounds
1. Rocket whizz is excellent, and although I am not sure it does justice to the idea of 'Screaming mimis', the sound of nebelwerfer rockets is definitely scary.
2. Mortar whizz - Also excellent
3. 3rd person sound for most rifles - Especially love the inclusion of a reverberation, especially with the No.4, No.1 and Kar98. That said, it makes you feel the rifles at close range, in 3rd person, would be louder than they are. Also most other guns 3rd person sound dont do the guns justice. Most are still POP-POP and completely lack reverberation, making them not sound like real guns at all, but game-guns. Especially bad, is the Thompson, which sounds as bad in 1st person, which completely lacks the ability to sound right in single shot, and completely lacks reverberation i.e. Echo.
4. Distant tank cannon, also exceptional, but again, you wonder how the close range tank sound is so quiet compared to it. You kind of expect to be louder and less distinct. The Panther and Tiger close range sound are perfect though (Albeit, a tad quieter than I'd hoped)
5. Howitzer shell whizz - EXCELLENT sound. May it NEVER change!
6. New Horn is a welcome change, although, I am not sure I want it for ALL vehicles (Dunno if its historically accurate though), and I wonder if it can't be made not to loop, and rather stay the same when depressed, only given the cleft note once the depression stops - Excuse the Punn.
7. HE ground explosions could still use more body though - including grenade explosion, but they are definitely an improvement.
8. I completely miss the Panther turret traversal sound. I am not used to the buzz sound we have now, and not sure it should be for ALL tanks. Also, it doesn't quite make sense why the Quad .50 rotation sound is so loud and its German counterpart, nor tank turret sound is close to as loud. Consistency may be suffering here.
9. AA cannon sounds, besides the Flakvierling and Bofers aren't great. Although, that minimod 20mm was very SPR-ish, it did have the 'scream' that is completely lacking from that in Vanilla Fh2. And worst offender is the Quad .50, which is supposed to be FOUR-count-em-4 .50 cals, and yet it doesn't even sound as intense as the one.
10. I also think the engine startup sounds should be louder before they quieten. i.e as soon as you get in a vehicle. Ironically enough, it is for most GP vehicles, but not tanks.
11. Love the new mg34 sound for tanks though. It does give it a sense that part of the sound-origination is going on inside., which is nice.

Use this first post as a template so we keep a consistent, easy to read thread going.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-07-2011, 13:07:35 »
Mortar whizz still a bit of a teapot for me, but better then a few internal patches ago.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-07-2011, 13:07:20 »
Mortar whizz still a bit of a teapot for me, but better then a few internal patches ago.

I like it - Its subtle, but it does make me dive to the ground once in a while

Addendum:
plane bombs, imo are cartoony and louder than neccesary. I feel that plane bombs and mortar shells need to have similar whizz. In fact, I dare say, plane bombs CANNOT be louder in dropping than a mortar bomb, considering the height and velocity is is traveling at.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-07-2011, 14:07:38 »
Yeah I'll give you that, it is subtle.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-07-2011, 14:07:14 »
Biggest gripe: MG42 sound. Sounds whimpy. Where is the deep, bassy BRRRAAAPP, BRRRAAAPP?

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-07-2011, 05:07:52 »
Quad 50 is the worst... it really needs something better. Its just not beefy for a platform carrying 4 .50 calibers...

Also plane .50s... sound terrible too.. the P51 sound is different from the P47 sounds.. and the P51 mg's sound better..  even though both still dont sound very good.

The MG's on the german fighters ( not the 20mm) and the british planes ( not the 20mms) sound terrible too.

The M24 chaffee.. you guys made it sound like the M4 Sherman.. number 1 its a different system. number 2 it is a Twin Cadillac Series 44T24; 16 cylinder (8/engine)   the M4A1 sherman is a Raidal 9 Cylinder aircraft engine.  the M4A3 is a GAA V-8 engine made for a tank  and the M4A4 is a chrysler multi bank engine  all engines are different and sound different.

To be honest the only couple american tanks that should sound mostly idenical is the M4, M4A1 and the M3Grant. all used the R975 engine.

THe M18 used a similar engine to the M4 sherman  the R975 C4 teh Sherman used teh C1. slight difference  the current sound for it sounds like the M10 which is a diesel sounding engine. But most sound of an engine is the exhaust or atleast most audible sound hence why people put crazy exhaust/ muffler systems on cars.  it does sound different

The M10 uses the same engine as the M4A2 sherman ( when it comes in the pacific and or russian front =]  )   GM 6046 

the M4A3, M26 pershing and the M36 used the GAA V8 and wouldnt be suprised if they sounded near the same save the difference in weight and strain placed on the engines.

The M3 and M5 stuart used different engines aswell the M3 used a radial 670 engine and the M5a1 used a Cadillac 42 series engine.

ANd personally i love tank engines but they atleast for americans and a couple other tanks just dont sound the best. yes i know its hard to find sounds etc but im just putting my 2 cents in that i think they could be better.

I really want to see the M24 get its own sounds.   

Also i really hope some time down the line tanks get better sounding, longer engine ignition sounds. I think tanks are really due for some sound changes.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #7 on: 21-07-2011, 07:07:14 »

I still think that one we had a couple months back was the best by far.  That thing gave me a woody and made me shit myself all at the same time (maybe I should see a doctor about that).
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-07-2011, 21:07:21 »
panzer 3 and 4 based tanks really need some help too. There is no ignition sound.. no reving up of the engine.. and i think the idle and running sound could be better.

Also this might be something that plays around with sounds of tanks..  The sherman interior sound that all tanks use.. it might be too loud. Id rather be hearing the engine rumbling on idle then hearing the echo of the inside..  It should be there yes but not nearly as loud as it it now IMO.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-08-2011, 12:08:24 »
I suggest that sounds for cannons in particular, tanks, howitzers, nebelwerfer (Not exactly a cannon, but still) get ALOT louder. They should be almost jarringly loud to justify their distant sound scheme. And at range - wa-ay range, they should be a dull thud or a pure disembodied reverberation, also to get a sense that they are loud. I mean, they wont merit causing concussion without being that loud.

Also, for effects, I wish the Howitzer and AT gun rocked from firing. Their tyres should bounce and they should raise clean off the ground except for their rear support and land back again.

I even wish, and this is WISH.. that someday, a complete animation is done for the gunner i.e having them actually move around it to reload and get back in firing position.

I already explained that I want the 76mm M3 gunner to be right BEHIND the gun - Animation is perfect as is, best animation for any gun to be honest. I'd even go ahead and say, that same animation should be on the mobile Flak gun too, rather than the crouched animation we have currently.

Offline hunterjojo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-08-2011, 23:08:25 »
Hey gents...Im having trouble hunting down the new loading theme for operation Luttich.... I love the song Well meet again but i can't find the new one. Any help would be appreaciated.
Also the planes sounds were painfully evil at first but you grow use to em... On the other hand stuka sirens are every where and it's kinda annoying now.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-08-2011, 00:08:01 »
Can't please some people  ::)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-08-2011, 00:08:41 »
On the other hand stuka sirens are every where and it's kinda annoying now.
Whaddya know, the sirens were meant to unnerve people IRL.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-08-2011, 01:08:17 »
yU-up

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23-08-2011, 23:08:51 »
Biggest gripe: MG42 sound. Sounds whimpy. Where is the deep, bassy BRRRAAAPP, BRRRAAAPP?

Thats also my biggest problem with the new weapon sounds next to the 1 st person sound of the Thompson. I have to say that I like all other sounds especialy the sounds, when you are in a house. But the the MG42 sound of v.2.3 was better than in 2.4.

Could you imagine the frearsome sound of 2.3 MG42 in Hurtgen forest? At the moment it is more like stumbling of a MG42 gunner in the forest than to avoid him because you are scared by the sound of it's weapon.

The Thompson sounds a bit overpowered, more like Hollywood and not like a real gun in 1st person. But all other sounds are very impressive.