Author Topic: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)  (Read 44733 times)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)
« Reply #30 on: 06-12-2012, 06:12:41 »
Bots dont enter any vehicles when they are fighting in the middle of the combat.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06-12-2012, 17:12:38 »
I have this topic that makes me think its worht bringing back up again. No bots obey my commands; for example when I shout "get in!" when im in a vehicle, none of  the bots do. They did obey in BF2 and other mods. They seem to be only getting in when they have no other choice than walking, like if they are in thr middle of the desert, and a vehicle is passing by.
This issue is well known, sometimes in the future we'll fix it. But commo rose is usually overshadowed by other issues with maps, vehicles and weapons, so it doesn't receive much needed attention.

I think the AI has more of it's own mind now with the mod than it did before.  It might see walking as a better way to stay alive than jumping in a jeep in the middle of a combat zone.
Bots dont enter any vehicles when they are fighting in the middle of the combat.
Well, occasionally they do. I've seen enemy bots, completely ignoring me 3 meters away, just because they smelled a jeep nearby and were racing to take a seat.

Oh, and speaking of the AI, it doesn't see to follow attack commands (as commander) very well.  The squad leader stay god knows how far back, behind friendly lines, and just stays there while the AI squadmates spawn on him and get mown down 10 minutes later after walking to the attack point.
In SP Patch B you can see a rather successful attempt to prevent bots from spawning god knows where. Yes, it was done only for 3 maps - Cobra, Luttich and Tunis, but we plan to implement this on all the maps sooner or later.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04-01-2013, 19:01:46 »
Could you guys redo the SP support for Keren 64? It really sucks at the moment. Also please do the navmeshes for the 32 version, I love it but I cant play it since its rarely encountered on servers and there is no SP support for it at the moment  :(

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-03-2013, 14:03:02 »
Also Crete SP is totally fucked. (Actually the map itsef was fucked when 2.45 came) Any chance to fix it for the next hotfiX?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16-03-2013, 14:03:11 »
Sorry, but the map list of the next hotfix is frozen, no place for Crete.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16-03-2013, 15:03:11 »
Aww. :( Ok then, I can wait until another hotfix or the next version of FH2  :)

Offline Doc_Wade

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20-01-2015, 13:01:26 »
Hey !
I wonder if it's possible to obligate all squad members to spawn on the squad leader (only when you're the squad leader). Cause for now spawning seems to be really random (?) and in SP sometimes it's hard to take a flag when your squad spawn far away.
Thanks.

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #37 on: 20-01-2015, 13:01:08 »
Hey !
I wonder if it's possible to obligate all squad members to spawn on the squad leader (only when you're the squad leader). Cause for now spawning seems to be really random (?) and in SP sometimes it's hard to take a flag when your squad spawn far away.
Thanks.

That's actually a pretty clever idea.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20-01-2015, 16:01:55 »
^agreed, that would be a nice function to have

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21-01-2015, 03:01:22 »
With the usual disclaimer of "according to my current knowledge", that is virtually impossible. We do can disable spawning on flags for AI bots, but only for the whole team, not for some specific bots like your squad mates or "all but squad leaders".

Anyway, in my experience, it's not that hard to make your subordinates to spawn on you. I even occasionally use the following "camping" strategy: say, you are the leader of a 5-6 men squad. Come close to the target flag, but without entering its flag zone since the defenders will smell this. Keep a low profile and wait for 3+ bots (about a half or more) of your squad to be dead. As soon as it happens, the chances that they all will spawn on you are very high. It may take a while, up to a couple of minutes if you are far away from any friendly flag, but they will come and then you all rush the flag. Overall, my rule of thumb for getting squad reinforcements is: be alive, do not sit in a tight place where bots can't navigate, do not sit in a vehicle with all the seats occupied.

Offline tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24-01-2015, 08:01:17 »

Don't suppose you can reveal when that'll be released?   ;)

Offline Doc_Wade

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26-01-2015, 20:01:33 »
Okay, thanks for the answers.
I already practice these kinds of behaviour in order to manipulate bots spawning  ;D But as you said, sometimes it takes time...

An other question is : would it be possible to obligate bots to use every artillery positions? One day I had points by spoting enemies with binoculars, I don't know if it's pure chance or if bots can obey to these orders?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27-01-2015, 03:01:35 »

Don't suppose you can reveal when that'll be released?   ;)
Unfortunately we still don't have proper navmeshes for Crete.

An other question is : would it be possible to obligate bots to use every artillery positions? One day I had points by spoting enemies with binoculars, I don't know if it's pure chance or if bots can obey to these orders?
When it comes to using alternative cameras like the spot one in artillery guns, AI is not very smart, to say it mildly. So actually bots shoot only at what is directly visible from their positions.

As for the reason behind the spotting score you got, the artillery system still tracks spots in singleplayer and assigns them to all active artillerymen, even if they are AI bots. That's why everything they hit while your spot is alive gives you spotting points. BTW, in the next release the spot tracking system will be turned off for AI artillerymen in order to save a few CPU ticks on processing the targets.

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27-01-2015, 17:01:29 »
BTW, in the next release the spot tracking system will be turned off for AI artillerymen in order to save a few CPU ticks on processing the targets.

Does this mean you prevent AI from effectivly using mortars?
Don't you dare!  :-\  I love AI Arty raining down randomly. So much immersion! You can't turn this off..

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28-01-2015, 16:01:24 »
Don't worry, they'll keep raining explosive stuff down randomly. That sentence was about cutting a thing which bots don't understand anyway. The only differences in gameplay will be no more unfair spotting points and maybe one or two additional frames per second on the maps heavily laden with arty.