Author Topic: Help with career choosing...  (Read 1196 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Help with career choosing...
« on: 30-06-2011, 13:06:26 »
So it's that time of my life when I have to choose which career to pursue... But there's a little problem... I can't quite decide what I want to do in my life. At the end of elementary school I couldn't decide either so I went for Gymnasium which gave me a broad array of options to choose. (maybe it was a mistake?  :P). Now I'm facing the same problem. I have always been a very good student, and I can study pretty much everything as I can easily get into any subject and find it interesting... Well except Maths, which I don't really like studying for some odd reason (probably laziness)...

So far I have narrowed my choices to:

Economy:
Pros - I have always been fascinated by the world of finances, stock markets, global goods flow and all that
stuff.

Cons - Unsure future, hard to find a job as economists make the biggest share of unemployed people in my country. I'm not really outgoing and quite shy so that could be a problem in this profession. Also I don't like traveling very much.

Computing

Pros - Much easier to find a job, pays are generally good, I like computers, and find programming an interesting and useful skill to learn in the modern world, although I never took the time to learn it past the basics of basics. More hardware oriented that Informatics (not sure if that is a pro as I don't really have any basics of Electrical engineering)

Cons - Maths is definitely not my favorite subject, although I had an A through my whole schooling, my teacher wasn't the best, he was too permissive and we could always use a paper with formulas on exams so I never learned all of them... Also I don't really know if I have a good foundation in Physics as our teacher wasn't the best either, he often skipped solving of problems and concentrated on theory. He was also sick for a long time so we didn't go through a part of the program.

Law

Pros - if you can find a job, the pay is generally good. No maths  ;)

Cons - A lot of unemployed people with a degree in law, you have to learn a lot of stuff by heart, and some subjects seem boring (Roman law for example), my shyness could prevent me from being a good lawyer

Marine and traffic logistics and management

Pros - sounds interesting

Cons - Not considered a hard college, so I don't know about the pay, shyness

Informatics

Pros - Career in demand, and is expected to rise in the future. Has a choice between business informatics , teacher or Information and communication systems graduate course.

Cons - Lots of Maths and Physics, but they go from the beginning and expand existing knowledge.

So I ask you nice fellows to tell me what is your career, how did you end up choosing it and why do you like/dislike it?
« Last Edit: 30-06-2011, 13:06:35 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: Help with career choosing...
« Reply #1 on: 30-06-2011, 14:06:37 »
If you don't like maths (and it seems that you don't) and you're from Croatia (my guess is Zagreb or somewhere near) don't even think of getting into FER. It's a damn hard college with a lot of Physics and math.
What about journalism or linguistics?

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-06-2011, 14:06:12 »
If you don't like maths (and it seems that you don't) and you're from Croatia (my guess is Zagreb or somewhere near) don't even think of getting into FER. It's a damn hard college with a lot of Physics and math.
What about journalism or linguistics?

Yeah I'm not from Zagreb and FER is really not a good option considering the distance and the difficulty. Also same about journalism (distance, no work and all that). Linguistics are a fine choice but you have to be quite communicative and social IMO so that's not the best choice for me... Also I can only speak English fluently and Italian to some degree. Languages never interested me that much. (Probably another mistake as knowing German would come quite handy IRL and FH2 :D)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-06-2011, 14:06:02 »
My Niece is now starting a career in traffic logistics and management, and it seems quite interesting, if you have a mind for organizing stuff and don't mind a lot of excel sheets and numbers it might be your shoe.
But if you have the highest school degree and thus have the possibility to go and study at a university, then definitely do this, you basically have to relearn maths at university anyway and you'll have much better professors/teachers. I know many guys who hated maths, but who really took off at university. I would risk it. :)

The most important thing with studying is that you manage to get something that fascinates you.

If you aren't the extroverted type, then go for an engineer of any colour, you'll have a safe employment and generally good pay. Should you lose your shyness along the way, then you can still manage to go full throttle into a managing position with the added bonus of knowing your stuff, which is something that people with an MBA most of the time don't know.
« Last Edit: 30-06-2011, 14:06:54 by DLFReporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-06-2011, 15:06:29 »
Thanks for advice Reporter!

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-06-2011, 16:06:58 »
I can confirm your fear about journalism, different country maybe, but no work. The people that get through are the pretty ones below 25. It doesn't seem to matter that they can't spell or have a level of common knowledge comparable to an amoebe. Big boobs or low salary costs are pré's.

How about healthcare? It's a lot of fun, and real life, instead of staring at a pc screen your whole life. You will meet a lot of different people too, might help with that shyness. History maybe? I personally kinda regret, might still happen though, studying journalism instead of archeology.

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-06-2011, 16:06:22 »
Wow you're the same guy than me or?

I'm interested in economy too but I SUCK in maths. I could learn them but I HATE maths.

I'm interested in the computers domain too but like you I never took the time to learn it past the basics of basics.

So my solution was human sciences! Me too I'm shy like you, but I hope human sciences will help me to go through this. And I love the brain and psychology domain and there's a lot of programs that open themself to you at university. Consomation Science, Sociology, Anthropology (boring here for me), Psychology and many others  ;)
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-06-2011, 18:06:00 »
I can only answer a few, since my experience is limited. I try my best to recall some of the things I know about the subject.

Computing:

Awesomeness: Totally!
I did some programming in .NET C# (my main language) and Visual Basic (not too much, just grasping the similarities with C#), also a bit of Java (fixing codes and debugging only). They are pretty much interesting to the point when you find a lot of bugs you did not expect. Making concept and writing is fun, but debugging is hell. Updating is even worse. I stopped programming ever since. But it gives you the sense of l33t-ness amongst self-calling "modern world" people. Imagine solving your everyday problem, or finding problem just for the sake of making program to help you solve that. During my programming years, i often write useless software such as random-breakfast idea generator, GPA calculator, and such. It is all pointless since it could take me some 3-5 hours to write one, but the utility is none of the matter. I create them just because I can. There is no limit in this, just pure creativity.

Career path: Suck.
My friend landed in one of the top 5 multinational IT consulting company, the pay is so-so, but the workload is ZOMFG, so she went into another employer, there is a pay increase due to her previous experience with the top 5, but the job remains the same, probably forever.
You can also try to make games, or work for a developer. As the career progresses, if you show some management skills or leadership, you might become the CEO. But this is very rare case. Most of the times, you end up being chief programmer or something like that.

Best option:
Try your luck by making some great software or website like Bill Gates, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, or Mark Zuckerberg and be multibillionaire. When you got l33t skills, you don't work for someone else, you gotta work for yourself.

Economy:

Awesomeness: So-so.
This is like being jack-of-the-trades, while experts-of-the-none. Economists (like me) are mostly bullshit, since they rationalize everything that happens everyday and include it in their science. Economy involves the understanding of your favorite subject: e.g. consumer business & transportation industry (for me), or green energy, or automobile industry, or natural resources (mining, oil & gas, etc), medical, basically anything that runs for money. So economy is not just about trading, marketing, finance and accounting.
Economist tries very hard to understand the subject they don't even know shit about and direct resources (money, of course) to that sector. Economist built their expertise on various ways: formal or informal education. Personal interest or professional interest. Anything goes.
I have an ex-nuclear engineer friend working as a marketing guy for securities company, he is always in favor for non-polluting industries. The other is an ex-pharmaceutical industry guy, he advises wealthy people on which drug company is good for the money. Me, I fix companies most of the times, telling them where to spent their money and effort in order to improve their performance.
The only awesome thing about economy is that it never gets boring. It is not like in the TVs where you got people sitting all day behind desks or yelling to each other at a stock market. But you meet people of different interests, different aspects, different world. I recently get into NGOs, helping jungle people establish their economy. It is like playing farmville or tycoon games with real people. Telling them how to report their financial, how to read the indicators, and how to expand their business.
We pride ourselves in our understanding of financial world, something that so many people in the world are ignorant about. Some financial tools like derivatives are utterly complex. It took us 2-3 courses in a financial degree to study about derivatives. But when things go too complex (clusterfuck), you can always draw yourself back into the good old principle of simplicity: it always worked in economy.

Career path: Great.
Think about the highest paying job of all? It is not sales commission you receive out of selling stuff for other people, but by managing funds, handling other people's money, rich people's money. Hedge fund managers is officially the highest paying job in the world, you can earn $800 million a year, including all the bonuses. Economic downturn won't affect you, as long as you stay in the right path (positioning against the market in bad times or put your money in the most sustainable business like Warren Buffet does).
If you are to confused with investment world, you can always go down into business world, running business operations, managing its financials, or even running a real company. Most CEOs of big companies came from economic degree, discounting the fact that Bill Gates (MSFT) took law degree he never finished. Some do came from other school like engineering (Rex Tillerson of ExxonMobil and Mike Duke of Walmart) But guys like Peter Voser (Royal Dutch Shell), Jeff Immelt (GE), Akio Toyoda (Toyota), and Warren Buffet himself (Berkshire Hathaway) studied economics.

Best option:
Economics leave you with the widest career path available for you to choose. You can be an NBA player with an art degree or Dinamo Zagreb player with an anthropology degree. But economics degree will lead you somewhere if you don't really know where to go to.

Informatics:

Awesomeness: Nah!
This is actually my first degree. I studied the so-called "information systems", it turned out to be "an IT guy trying so hard to understand business world." Kind of, football fans trying to understand rugby rules. This is all about IT meet business, geeks meet the real world, when Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" don a suit and talk some sense to people with real business. These guys try to find the answer on how can technology help business run better, grow bigger, predicts the market better, etc. When we say business, it can be any business... war business, monkey business, science business, or money making business... anything that needs information.
This science is the reason why you see people sitting in front of so many monitors on their desk: information. Like economist, IT guy must understand the subject of their interest, then ask themselves: how can a computer help those guys out? E.g. arranging HUD information layout into the most efficient layout ever possible.
During the study, it was compulsory for me to take several accounting and marketing subjects besides computer science courses. Some examples of "purely" Information Systems subjects: database design, system design, (IT) project management, human-computer interaction, and such.

Career path: just OK.
I landed in assurance service for this, making sure that some company's computer that they use for financial reporting is in compliance with some American Senator's passed bill.
Thanks to recent financial meltdown and paranoia that follows after, the job is really on the demand. To this day, they still ask me to do this nonsense.
You can finally land into some company, probably big ones like Fortune 500 companies, and become their CIO (Chief Information Officer). Everything in this path is pretty straightforward.

Best option:
Since you are in that jack-of-all-trades position again, you can't never be awesome enough. What they have to offer is just job safety, you can land on any business of your liking, in their IT division. Any... really, any business, as long as they have computers.

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-06-2011, 21:06:07 »
I agree on what ZooMotorpool said about Economy but don't be put of by the math. The math is actually quite basic and most of the time you get by on just calulating percentages or a derivative here and there but nothing advanced at all (unless you're into quant stuff).

What also is good about economy is that you can always find a job that suits/interests you. If your shy and don't like to meet people then you can be an accountant hiding in the company's cellar. Also, you can do marketing, banking, consulting, buisness planning and lots more.
I choose Economy partly due to the reason that I wasn't fully shure of what I wanted to do but now I'm almost fininshed with my master and have found a niche that suits me perfectly and I'm looking forward to starting full-time soon.

EDIT: Now that Croatia officially will join the EU you can work anywhere in Europe with a degree in buisness economics.
« Last Edit: 30-06-2011, 21:06:39 by Miklas »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-06-2011, 21:06:46 »
As an engineer I can only say, don't sell your soul to economics!
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-06-2011, 21:06:11 »
Study the topics you enjoy the most. (even if they seem lame to you). You will enjoy your studies more and that will make you more likely to do well at them. These course will be most likely to lead you into a career that makes you happy.

And happiness is the only true measure of success.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-06-2011, 21:06:37 »
Engineering is easy!

But then again we never covered the mathematical portions since it was a generic one size fits all engineering class  :P

EDIT:  Airtraffic Controller is a great job in the U.S., don't know about your area though. Once you start moving up the chain of airports, you can start earning in the 200k about 10 years before retirement xD
« Last Edit: 30-06-2011, 21:06:22 by :| Hi »

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #12 on: 30-06-2011, 22:06:03 »
Study the topics you enjoy the most. (even if they seem lame to you). You will enjoy your studies more and that will make you more likely to do well at them. These course will be most likely to lead you into a career that makes you happy.

And happiness is the only true measure of success.
Listen to this man!

If you see something what seems to be a lot of fun to you, go after it. If it's fun, it's good. Don't get some boring ass job just for the pay, get a job you like. If you like it you are more likely to be good at it, the pay simply follows then.

Oh and I recently decided my future by aiming at studying history at a university. I will need to finish this study, then do 1 year history teacher on a higher school level and pass with good grades so I can swap to university. But hell, I don't regret taking the long road. I enjoy this.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-06-2011, 22:06:54 »
Become inspired, join the armed forces of your country!  ;D

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-06-2011, 22:06:25 »
Thank you all for your posts, now on to exploring my interest for a bit more, and finally making the big step forward!

Become inspired, join the armed forces of your country!  ;D

Not that bad of an idea, but I'm a pacifist and not really physically capable - even running for 6 minutes almost gets me killed :P