Author Topic: FH2 maps and you  (Read 15839 times)

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
Re: FH2 maps and you
« Reply #30 on: 08-08-2009, 16:08:06 »
You forgot to say, that Bir Hakeim is not longer a flag.

The only german tactic I saw working at Sidi Rezegh was to hold only Administration during the whole round, because it´s the easiest flag to defend, with up to 3 squads, so the allied bleed will never stop. This was resulting in the first german victory I´ve ever seen on this map.
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08-08-2009, 16:08:36 »
You forgot to say, that Bir Hakeim is not longer a flag.

I wrote it under the minimap and never mentione the flag.

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #32 on: 08-08-2009, 16:08:29 »
Oh, my fault. Didn´t saw it.
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10-08-2009, 22:08:38 »
Fall of Tobruk

German assault
vs.
British defend

Sniper rifle locations (I know of)
1. In one of the little outskirt houses just north of the German mainbase (on a table beside an smg-scout kit)
2. At Outskirts, on top of the south western building
3. At admiralty house, on the wall overlooking the approach from Town Center
4. At admiralty house, on the balcony of the big building overlooking harbor
5. Tobruk church (now guess where exactly ;))

Overview
My favourite map, although I almost never get to play it somehow (Mostly because I avoid Aberdeen like the plague and that one always comes directly before FoT) Incidentally, I need someone to write a guide for Aberdeen.
The map is infantry centered and features house to house combat. The German get some tanks and an AT-Halftrack, the Brits are reinforced by Stuarts after the Germans have advanced into the city. The flagzones are all very complicated and it would be impossible to list all approaches and secret passages here. I will try to give a short overview, explain the push system and reveal some tricks I have up my sleave ;) but since the two rules of a successful FH2-player are
1. Never reveal everything you know
and
I will keep it short.

Flags

Outskirts
This flag has to be capped before the Germans can advance into the city. This often proves to be harder than you might think, mostly because of well positioned british infantry and the two british mortars zeroing in on the rather open approach. In my experience smoke and fire from the own mortars usually leads to a quick success for the German team. So you have captured the first flag. What now?

First of all: Don't run of at once! The British spawn quite a distance from the flagzone and the Officers Building flag is quite close. This often leads to a fast counter attack. As for flags, after Outskirts has fallen, there are three main possibilities:

Mussolini Plaza -> Church
Town Center -> Church
Officers building -> The Harbor

The Admiralty House flag only gets unlocked after every other flag is capped.

Officers Building
This flag can prove to be a constant thorn in the Axis' side, due to its close proximity to the valuable outskirts flag. Especially early in the round, losing outskirts can be very annoying, as it locks up the other flags.

The Harbor
The whole eastern Harbor area is quite open, especially if compared to the rest of Tobruk, although there is still cover in form of boxes and bomb craters. Overlooking the flagzone are both the big house to the west )some spawnpoints in there) and the admiralty house building. Being lower than most of the other flags, it is often subjected to fire from the promenade.

Town Center
This flag is often the center of attention for both teams. It has many approaches (some underground) and is therefore quite hard to defend.

Mussolini Plaza
The flagzone is actually under the plaza, in a tunnel running from south to the north. The Six pounder spawning there is quite useful to deny tanks the use of the road, although the fast pace means you are often outflanked by infantry.

Tobruk Church
The plaza infront of the church is quite open, the safest approach is to flank that area through the building and alleys surrounding it.

Admiralty House
This one is the last flag to be unlocked and seldomly fought about. Tanks can only approach it from Church, while infantry can climb the wall guarding it from Harbor and town center in various places. One of them is the quite obvious wooden stairway, but you can also climb the hill directly from harbor.

General advice
As infantry it is advisable to stay of the broad mainroads. Not only are Panzers using them, but you also fall prey to smarter infantry who knows that there are safer ways to get around in Tobruk: trenches, tunnels, alleys and roofs. Seek them out as much as you can, they will make your life a lot easier. There are a lot of ways to combat tanks in the ruins. There are several AT guns hidden in fortified positions, but they lose in usefulness due to the fast gameplay. Much more interesting are the hidden heavy AT-kits you find in trenches and similar positions. There are also some Commando kits around that might prove useful in the close quarter fighting.
The British might be the defending team, but sitting in the same hole all round long will usually get you nowhere. Keep moving, mount counter attacks, think aggressive. Most positions can be outflanked through some tunnel anyway, so why not being faster than the enemy, getting him first?

The map in one sentence
Infantry fights in a destroyed city full of secret passages and surprises.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27-08-2009, 18:08:28 »
Mersa Matruh

German
vs
British
meeting engagement

Sniper rifle locations (I know of):
1. At Quaryet El Quibashi, on a bed beside a tent.
2. At Garawla, on the top floor of the two story building with the balcony.
3. At Mosque, on the tower (duh)
4. At Matruh East, in the enterable building with the commander radio.

Overview
This is one of the rare maps in FH where none of the two sides has the bleed at the beginning. There are 5 cappable flags, 4 of which are in British hands at the beginning. The Garawla flag is German from the start. Generally the map is more open than other urban maps. There is plenty of room for tanks even inside the city and the hiding places for infantry are somewhat limited. To get the British bleeding, the Germans have to capture Mosque and Matruh east. For the British, capture of the Garawla flag is vital.

Flags

Matruh West
This flag is usually attacked early on from Quaryet El Quibashi. There are several movable 6 Pounders in the area, that can be used to defend it against tanks coming over the southern ridge. The water tower is sometimes used as a spot for snipers or artillery spotters, but generally is too exposed for that use.

Matruh Station
This is more or less a staging area flag. The flagzone is closed off to tanks and there are several AT-Guns in the area. Note that some of the spawns are in the little building  and the walled of section to the north.

Mosque
The mosque building this flag is named for is not enterable, the tower however is accessible. Its value as sniper position is rather limited, however.

Matruh East
This flag is sometimes spawnraped by a smart Panzer driver, positioning his tank behind the AT obstacle and palms guarding the flag from the south. Note that some of the spawn points are in the west, in a little walled of area beside the british tanks.

Garawla
This flag has to be capped, if the British want to win. Not only gives it the bleed, but also extra tanks and 88mm guns to defend the village. A nice place to hide a squad leader is under the railway bridge.

The map in one sentence
City with lots of room to maneuver tanks and AT-Guns.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27-08-2009, 20:08:40 »
In Sidi Rezegh there is sniper kit straight south from 7th brigade outpost. There is destroyed convoy. At the flipped bedford, last in the convoy, is a sniper kit its  right beside it.
« Last Edit: 27-08-2009, 20:08:51 by Paavopesusieni »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28-08-2009, 15:08:09 »

German assault
vs
British defense

Sniper Rifle positions (I know of):
1 and 2: There are two rifles in the German main, both on tables.
3. Near 4th Light Armoured Brigade, among the crates of the big storage area.
4. At the last british flag, on some crates near the tank spawns.

Overview
This map is roughly similar to Siege of Tobruk. The German Panzers have to break through three defensive positions. However, the map is larger than SoT and British tanks play a bigger role, especially in midgame, when the round is decided.

First line
The first two flags that can be captured are 4th Light Armoured Brigade and 7th Motor Brigade. I will refer to them as western and eastern flag. After one of these flags is in German hands, the the closest flag of the second line is unlocked and can be capped. However, it is advisable to first cap both first line flags, because they are easily recapped due to their close proximity to each other. The main defenses of the first line are AT-guns (2 and 6 pd). Veteran players usually know their positions and can take them out early and without problems.
The line usually falls very early and is rarely defended very long. However, a good squad may delay the unevitable by counter attcking the first lost flag while the German team splits up between the two other possible attack points.
The terrain is generally quite nice for hiding among the stone trenches and shell craters. If you like sniping: Take the rifle, hide in one of the shell holes, wait until the Germans have overrun the line and then proceed shooting German infantry troops spawning there and 88 crews. A skilled sniper can rack up quite a lot of kills that way. Always relocate after a few shots and don't forget to S-mine the crater you just left.

2nd line
Herre the gameplay is more open and the map plays a bit like Gazala. The two outposts are defended by infantry, while the Grants and Panzer III/IVs slug it out in the open desert. The westernmost flag is generally harder to defend for infantry. It basically consists of a small depression in the ground, which is easily rapable by smart Panzer drivers. The eastern flag is easier to defend, due to trenches and artillery guns that can be used point blank.
The round is decided in the phase. Using the open terrain and their tanks to their advantage, smart players can outflank and destroy enemy attempts at capping both flags. If you feel that one side is pressured a lot less than the other, mount a fast counter attack on the first line. This usually buys a lot of time before the Germans manage to recap it.

3rd line
The third line consists of the two western flags of the last three on the northern ridge. They are only unlocked after both second line flags have been capped. In this phase the Germans usually have the upper hand. More often than not the British tanks are besieged in their base and German tanks are roaming comparatively free. If the British managed to hold the Germans long enough at the second line, victory is still possible. The terrain is very similar to the first line, with lots of trenches and craters. After these two flags are in German hands, the last one is unlocked. This is quite rare, however.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28-08-2009, 16:08:12 »
i want to add to alam halfa:
germans have a lot of amor in their base
once they capepd a complete line and have advanced taking the next the armor in their mainbase stops spawning but instead spawns a line further.

so if for example germans have 3 flags under their controls the majority of their tanks will spawn in the first British defensive line.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28-08-2009, 17:08:04 »
I didn't know that. Cool feature.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28-08-2009, 18:08:46 »
Also, if British lose the second line but they have ticket majority, the smart thing to do is wait at the last line for the Germans. Don't try and recap the second line, it might mean defeat in the end. While the Germans really need to cap the last three flags for a victory, the British can wait it out and kill any jerry attempting to cap one of the last 3 flags. Defense is the key word.

This also works the other way around: when Germans have ticket majority, don't try and cap any of the last three flags, just defend second line. Much easier and safer: the Brits will be killed many times in their attempts to take back second line, which will mean their demise if Germans defend well.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28-08-2009, 20:08:32 »
I didn't know that. Cool feature.

this was done to maintain the pressure from the german tanks as theri infantry alone was to weak in the open. once a tank died at the front the time to respawn and drive to the front from the mainbase was extremly long.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Herpes911

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31-08-2009, 06:08:05 »
On Siege of Tobruk, too many times I see the German team trying to hold all three frontline flags at once.  I hope more people will realize from this thread that you only need two of them (HQ plus either flank) two reach the second line and stop the ticket bleed, after which point the German team has the game in the bag pretty much.  Not only does the ticket bleed stop, but the second line flags are much easier to defend with armor (which the German team clearly has the upperhand in on this map).

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #42 on: 31-08-2009, 13:08:13 »
Fall of Tobruk, never underestimate the eastern flank!

A lot of squads rush to the first flag and the British as well, but if you flank from the east and then go in on the first flag you can do some serious damage or flank over to the office building if they cap the first

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06-09-2009, 09:09:27 »
Lovely review... Please continue for the remaining maps and Normandy.. I
m putting this together for a FH2 survival guide... I think the devs should do that too - Make a survival guide separate from the official guide for 'further reading'

ALso, if you want to make this an ultimate survival guide, and I think you should, add other pickup kits to each map, or have someone append to them thus. And perhaps add a spoiler with a disclaimer, the location of all easter eggs :-)

« Last Edit: 06-09-2009, 10:09:11 by djinn »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06-09-2009, 13:09:26 »
Well, since I can't play 1.5 online my review of the normandy flags will ahve to wait.  :'(