Author Topic: Bayonets: When and How  (Read 2341 times)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
Bayonets: When and How
« on: 11-04-2011, 08:04:18 »
Welcome! This thread would be, as stated, about the art of using bayonets in the game of FH2. If you have any ideas please share them, if you don't consider them as a secret.

Introduction

The bayonet is one of the underused weapon in FH2, because in many circumstances it is not really useful. Players use bayonets merely for fun or/and humiliation, i.e. to stab an unawared enemy from behind, or as an reaction to a guy who pulls out a knife in a close fight. Of course, we'll not discuss a lot about these, as the former is intuitive, and the latter is more like the common FPS-skills rather than decision making.

Before talking when to use bayonets, why not first to talk about when NOT to use bayonets. A bayonet, is obviously a short ranged weapon, you will have no hope of killing your enemy unless you get very close to them, so do use your rifle for medium/long ranged engagements. Also don't use the bayonets when you're tired - well it does not take the mind of Einstein to figure out that you cannot stab effectively if you don't even have the stamina to sprint.

If the bayonet is that crappy, why should we use it other than in the most desperate moment? It is actually the same reason as why you pull out your knife when you run out of ammo in a close fight - a bayonet does not require reload and just require minimal aiming. A bayonet is a very time-efficient weapon, that is, a weapon that traded space for time. Another good thing about the bayonet is that it is quite psychologically shocking to your enemy if you managed to get really close to your enemies, and they won’t fire as effectively as careless shooting might end up TKing 3 of their teammates and himself stabbed.

The main point here is that, under a certain circumstances, the bayonet could be useful even as an assault weapon.

Fool’s Courage

There is a few important points to notice, when you are thinking of using the bayonet to assault:
-   Using bayonets requires a super-human courage, but having a super-human courage doesn’t means that you should use bayonet
-   Do you have sufficient cover for you to get close to your enemy? Charging in an open area like in the movies don’t really worked.
-   Could you take out the target more effectively using your rifle?
-   Do you have enough stamina to approach the target quickly?

Bayonets are useful in the follow situations:
-   When your enemies are pinned in trenches, or generally, pinned by fire, in those situations people’s judgements and reactions aren’t as good and you could take advantage of it. Bayonets could be used effectively even if you’re suppressed by friendly fire (accidentally).
-   In places with a lot of cover, like a building. It might be difficult to shoot 3 guys with your bolt-action up close but a bayonet charge might ended up stabbing all 3 of them due to the “chaos” you induced among them.
-   When your enemies are throwing grenades and thinking that they are safe, just charge forward and stab them.

Tips

1.   10 meters should be the maximum distance, under very few cover, you should charge through. Use smoke as a measure of cover is a good idea.
(note: the smoke shouldn’t be blinding yourself – instead it should blind your enemy)
2.   If possible, charge with full stamina, the worst situation is running out of stamina right in front of your target.
3.   Plan ahead your movement before your move out of cover, including where and when you stab.
4.   If you cannot stab the target effectively, consider running around like mad – your teammates would take care of your enemies as your enemies would be severely distracted by you, which they’d automatically consider as the greatest threat.
5.   Tossing a grenade do help getting your enemy to hide in cover – a good moment to charge without getting shot. Don’t get blown up by your own grenade.
6.   If you have a Garand, don’t use the bayonet, just reload for a new clip.
7.   Switching targets wisely would not only save your life, it’d also earn you some kills.
8.   Don’t hesitate when you’re on the way already, unless you have a chance to hide in cover.
9.   Don’t run in teammate’s line of fire – it’d only get you TKed.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Bayonets: When and How
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2011, 13:04:39 »
How to use the bayonet properly:

1. Find where the enemy spawns
2. Stand near the spawn (not right on it cause you will block it)
3. When enemy spawns, stab him!
4. Repeat for infinite kills!
5. ?
6. PROFIT!

Seriously that's probably the only situation where your bayonet will prove somewhat effective (well that and bayoneting campers from behind...), as anyone not holding a bolt  action or MG will probably manage to shoot you  at close range, and quite a few people will just back off and shoot you anyway...

Which brings us to another problem... why can't you charge with the bayonet properly... cause of engine limitations, which means people must slow down to walk speed to be actually able to use their weapon... that is the main problem...that and having to stab people a couple of hundred times (yes I know I'm overreacting) to actually kill them due to lag/ping etc.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-04-2011, 13:04:40 »
Bayonet is useless as of last patch.You have to slash someone only to get killed.I've lost interest since that happened in doing bayo kills (after many failed attempts).

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-04-2011, 14:04:14 »
Oh no it's not useless. I'm a great bayonet killer !
If you keep moving, it's actually your best chance to deal with someone aiming at you with a rifle at close range. With some practice and some luck you can even defy people that hold a SMG.

But it's true that you need some training to be really effective with it (unless, of course, you attack from behind, which is actually the best tactic for close combat beginners ;) )

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-04-2011, 15:04:05 »
Oh no it's not useless. I'm a great bayonet killer !
If you keep moving, it's actually your best chance to deal with someone aiming at you with a rifle at close range. With some practice and some luck you can even defy people that hold a SMG.

But it's true that you need some training to be really effective with it (unless, of course, you attack from behind, which is actually the best tactic for close combat beginners ;) )

I used to stab even MG gunners, they are just stabbed before hitting me fatally.

Bayonets DO require some experience to use effectively frontally, but they are really really effective in some cases.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-04-2011, 15:04:02 »
1) Fire gun until empty
2) Enemy charges with bayonet
3) Walk backwards, reload, cap his ass
4) ???
5) Profit!
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-04-2011, 19:04:58 »
1) Fire gun until empty
4) ???
5) Profit!

I have to agree that it is not a very good idea to fight a bayonet with a bayonet... I'd rather get a handgun in that kind of situation.

But assaulting with a bayonet is different, you have the bayonet already ON when the fighting started.

Offline Viktor2a5

• Act natural act natural. We've done nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-04-2011, 09:04:03 »
1) Fire gun until empty
4) ???
5) Profit!

Tryed it, not working...

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-04-2011, 08:04:37 »
1) Fire gun until empty
4) ???
5) Profit!

Tryed it, not working...

You should try to sprint sideways rather than backwards. (it is slow) That is to the left or right of the knife/bayonet guy. He won't be likely catch you if you plan a good running route. And usually just wait for your teammate to shoot him while you are running like crazy.

I commonly use the dolphin dive thing when bayonet charging since it help me avoiding bullets (you could dive sideways as well, which is rolling), kind of lame, but it is just maybe to compensate the lack of kung-fu in the BF2 engine? This is a practical hint as bayonets are always accurate that you could just do whatever you like. The most extreme move is bunny-hop bayonetting which I never know how to perform (I saw it once and lolled, fun to watch my teammate hop to his target)