Author Topic: A beginner's map  (Read 1321 times)

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
A beginner's map
« on: 08-03-2011, 15:03:59 »
Well, I got a nice idea for a desert map ( I know Russia would be better  ::)).
I made a concept and want to put this map to practice.
It should be 4x2 km big and should be playable for 64 and maybe 128 in future.
I have not done any mapping before, so I don't know if I have the power to finish it, but I will at least try.
This concept could possibly with some changes also adopted to European theater...

Pls give some constructive criticism and maybe suggest a name that fits, a theater would be the best

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: 08-03-2011, 17:03:19 by TheRevoluzer »

azreal

Re: Desert Map
« Reply #1 on: 08-03-2011, 16:03:13 »
There is no such way to have a 4km by 2km map. It must either be 2km by 2km or 4km by 4km. That being said, generally 4km maps are a bad idea. They are too big for FH2-style gameplay and are a bit more work to produce.

Since this is your first map, I would start with a smaller 1km by 1km map to learn how mapping in BF2/FH2 works.

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
Re: Desert Map
« Reply #2 on: 08-03-2011, 17:03:19 »
Ok

I am not sure, but a layout like this I have in mind would require a bigger map.

Maybe it put this concet aside and make try something in Europe with forests and so... a Bulge map

Concerning a 1x1 km map, how big is St. Lo for comparison?
« Last Edit: 08-03-2011, 17:03:46 by TheRevoluzer »

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
Re: A beginner's map
« Reply #3 on: 08-03-2011, 17:03:20 »
I think St Lo is 2km

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-03-2011, 17:03:24 »
I'm pretty sure St Lo is 512 x 2 which owuld make it 1kmx1km, however, it is smartly set up and uses most of the available space. For example Brest is 2kmx2km but most part of the map goes unused.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-03-2011, 19:03:26 »
sure you can have 2kmx4km maps, 2kmx1km, etc etc azreal  :P you just let 1km un each side be unused and so on..

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-03-2011, 20:03:19 »
i think 2x2 would fit this map fine but if you are new to mapping you better start of with a 1x1 map and remove the planes.

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-03-2011, 22:03:21 »
i think 2x2 would fit this map fine but if you are new to mapping you better start of with a 1x1 map and remove the planes.

Concerning the map size, can I change it later again, or is it set in stone, once started a map?

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #8 on: 08-03-2011, 22:03:53 »
If not impossible atleast difficutl.

Basically you can copypaste somethings by hand with some resizing. Not much though and most likely not worth the hazzle.
CMP Gaming

azreal

« Reply #9 on: 09-03-2011, 00:03:42 »
Concerning the map size, can I change it later again, or is it set in stone, once started a map?

You can, but it's way beyond the scope of what a beginning mapper should be doing/concentrating on. It was done to Anctoville and it caused us a whole bunch of problems and headaches with the map.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #10 on: 09-03-2011, 07:03:41 »
    Start small guy!  I still can't map for shit but my first map was huge and it ended up being binned.  Second map was a small pile of crap but it was manageable and might actually get played some day.  Everyone told me to just get over those first couple of shit maps and move on because that was just how it works.  After many learning hours of mapping I have to say they was all right!   Mapping is really not that hard but you will fuck up often trying until you learn some techniques.  Do a small map and finish it.  You will not set the FH2 mapping world on fire with you POS map but you will learn and do better from the start next time.  Best advice I can give is just to get on TS and ask those who actually know some advice while you you are making your first map.  Saves you a great deal of time scrolling through the internets and you just might learn a thing or two.  If not for the guys at WaW I probably would have giving up after my first round of failure.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-03-2011, 08:03:02 »
You can, but it's way beyond the scope of what a beginning mapper should be doing/concentrating on. It was done to Anctoville and it caused us a whole bunch of problems and headaches with the map.

hm what? What I did with ancto was changing the scale, not the size.. the headaches was when we had it as scale1, but when I did it to scale2 it runs smooth. (also did a lot of other performance opt though)