Author Topic: NML Is Open!  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Graf_Radetzky(CZ)

• View Profile
Re: NML Is Open!
« Reply #15 on: 03-03-2011, 18:03:56 »
Have them use 0.6b for now, and when I get an hour or two of free time this week I will hook up a new 0.6c version, where i'll fix the Lewis Gun and some other minor stuff real quick.
Yep. So mates, how do you like the beta?  :)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03-03-2011, 21:03:05 »
Havent managed to find a link to download it...

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03-03-2011, 21:03:49 »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03-03-2011, 21:03:22 »
So its open beta for everyone now?

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03-03-2011, 22:03:28 »
Well.... it wasnt planned but eh..... it is...... but half of the stuff is heavy WIP, but i think we might get some more devs this way....

(as it is archi's choice, i though we ll keep it private until the real kits ll be done)

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03-03-2011, 22:03:05 »
Its up to you guys, you can do whatever you guys want, I don't have much free time these days anyways. I've got like five minutes here before Im out the house again.

The DL Link is there for anybody who wants to try the public beta version.

Please note,

Some maps do crash,

Runs from FH2 Shortcut

In order to play Fh2 after you will need to restart FH2.

Lot of items are still WIP in here, you'll easily notice which are and arnt being worked on, we know almost all problems.

Let us know what ya think!

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04-03-2011, 00:03:11 »
WTF?!

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04-03-2011, 01:03:34 »
Guess its open to everyone now.

Your Gew98 sight is wrong, should be exactly the same style as the K98k when you look down the sights.

Stosstruppen shouldn't be on any maps prior to around 1916.

Why do NCOs not have a rifle?

Why are there no trench maps?  All the maps seem very generic, very unenthralling, and the main reason I think is a complete lack of any form of WW1 trenches.
« Last Edit: 04-03-2011, 02:03:03 by VonMudra »

Offline Pascucci the Whiner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04-03-2011, 02:03:49 »

Your Gew98 sight is wrong, should be exactly the same style as the K98k when you look down the sights.

Why are there no trench maps?  All the maps seem very generic, very unenthralling, and the main reason I think is a complete lack of any form of WW1 trenches.

Agreed. The maps just feel bland and generic. Maybe you guys should just add a classic trench map? Just because the NCO's only carry pistols in the movies doesn't mean that it is the case IRL.

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04-03-2011, 03:03:52 »

Why are there no trench maps?  All the maps seem very generic, very unenthralling, and the main reason I think is a complete lack of any form of WW1 trenches.

Agreed. The maps just feel bland and generic. Maybe you guys should just add a classic trench map? Just because the NCO's only carry pistols in the movies doesn't mean that it is the case IRL.

The NCO's only carry pistols to give them an alternative motive when playing. Eventually maps will not be easy at all to play, and it will require the use of each kits special attribute to make a successful gain. Squad leaders, in addition to playing the role of a mobile spawn point, will have the only binoculars in any kit, besides the sniper (random pick up kit) and the only smoke grenades, including visual cover smoke, and marker smoke. Using the squad leaders smoke grenades, and his unique ability to call in artillery coordinates, means those are his jobs. The pistol is for self defense, and the whistle only for show. This decision has less to do with historical accuracy, and more with game-play.

Similar examples are such as the Grenadiers, who will have long range rifle grenades that can be pretty accurate when aimed, clever use can have then taking out entrenched positions before an assault.

The rifleman kit is the only non-limited kit, and it is the most basic kit of all, Rifle and Bayonet, and it was our intention that it would be the primary kit on the field, and would be one of the most effective in hand to hand combat, because the bayonets are pre-attached and deploy quickly (based on kevs original design) All other kits would use shorter range, longer deployed hand weapons, such as boot knives and entrenchment tools.

Assault classes carry your standard rifle, but come with the addition of hand grenades, which means an assault in your squad would be the man at the front of the room and trench clearing operations.

Your medics of course are there to revive comrades, and the bleed time has actually been increased, because there are no bandages for the individual soldier, so we found that the wounded man needed more time to find a medic, or in the future, a medical stash or box. Medics have a pistol for self defense.

Your engineers will eventually be the work horses, being as it were the only kit with anti-personnel mines, and anti-vehicle mines, as well as wire cutters for eventual destroyable barbwire, and a number of tools for building and repairing trench assets.

These kits are designed for roles.

addition:

And as far as maps being generic are concerned, we have really had problems with this project because things keep showing up. Im only able to write this reply after a long ass day. Making maps with intricate trench systems like I want is a monumental task, and getting them to play right is even harder. Plus, Grafs original idea was early war, where trenches were not as heavily dug, maps like the Argonne and a few others are designed to represent battles where there were not a heavy presence of trenches involved.
« Last Edit: 04-03-2011, 03:03:20 by Archimonday »

Offline RoniSaysWoot

• View Profile
    • No Man's Land
« Reply #25 on: 04-03-2011, 05:03:40 »

That is because NML only has 1 mappers, people are too lazy, has no time or arent interested about the mod to come and help. It just amazes me how much we even got work done with a team of around 4 active developers.. So if you think the build needs something more just go and help the guys out, but its just way too much work to create something even in the scale of WWI.

Register to support No Man's Land! at: www.nmlmod.forum-motion.com

Offline Chariot

• Rememberer of the unremembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04-03-2011, 05:03:02 »

That is because NML only has 1 mappers, people are too lazy, has no time or arent interested about the mod to come and help. It just amazes me how much we even got work done with a team of around 4 active developers.. So if you think the build needs something more just go and help the guys out, but its just way too much work to create something even in the scale of WWI.
If someone could teach me how to map I would join the development team in less than a heartbeat. Alas, bf2 editor doesn't seem to work on vista and I don't have any mapping skills.
« Last Edit: Today at 18:07:17 by Chariot »
Also known as HMS Campbeltown

Anyone who supports the UN is a closet totalitarian and most likely supports a one world government which will enslave us all.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04-03-2011, 10:03:44 »
And well Josh and Rookenloos are working on trench maps...

@Chariot: there should be tutorials on the forum somewhere
@Mudra: Well i dunno, we will work on the ironsight, but both Kev and Archi made it this way.....
And it isnt NCO, but officer. So he carries just pistol. If the kit still says NCO, it ll be fixed.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #28 on: 04-03-2011, 10:03:18 »
@chariot: you need to set the installer and the .exe after installation to xp compatibility mode, after it bf2editor works like a charm
CMP Gaming

Offline Duke_Dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06-03-2011, 01:03:29 »
First impression: It looks really great, I was expecting something like this. I enjoyed the GW 98, Fokker Dr1 and the MG 8. Pity only one map works, but this is only momentum. There are of course there are always thing to fix as I can see, especially mapping and custom 3D objects. But keep up the good work lads.  ;D

(by the way, Is it possible to sign in as Tester?)