Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2 wants YOU!  (Read 13350 times)

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
Forgotten Hope 2 wants YOU!
« on: 21-02-2011, 13:02:19 »

3D Artists, Gamer Designers and Level Designers needed!

We are looking for talented modders with a passion for World War II and comitment to work hard. The focus has previously been on the North African campaign and Normandy/West Front but we need new fresh talent for our new campaign Russian front 1944. The mod was released on december 14th 2007 and is currently the second most popular mod on the bf2 engine and won the 2010 Moddb awards players choice.

What we can offer you:
Forgotten Hope 2 is an excellent start to break in to the gaming industry, some of our previous members now work or have worked for EA DICE, Tripwire and Microsoft to name a few studios. Our artwork is considered to be among the top of the entire modding scene rivaling many commercial titles.

You will work with a multi-national team of 20 people, building team and project skills and also having lots of fun during development and testing. You will learn to give and receive constructive feedback from our development team and our 50 man dedicated testing team. Skills that are absolutely essential in the gaming industry.

We're on the lookout for talented:

3D artists Prop, Player, Weapon or vehicle modeling. Must be able to unwrap and do lowpoly modeling. Exellent Photoshop texturing skills. Good texture artists are also welcome to apply (must be able to unwrap). Help us with your skills to make a beatiful Russian front. We use 3ds Max 9 so knowledge in max is beneficial but not required.

Game designers / Game Coders / Exporters Knowledgeable in bf2 or any other common engine for exporting, balancing and coding: weapons, soldiers, vehicles. Also python coders working on our game code and stats system are most welcome. A true dedication to making the players experience better is essential. Duties also include collecting feedback from testers and sorting out bugs in our bug-tracking system.

Level Designers You are exellent at building innovative designs and maps and sketching out ideas. You have experience in bf2editor or any other common level design tool set (Unreal, Hammer, Crysis Sandbox). Your main resposibility will be to build the playable area in a map with roads, ditches, hills, towns and make sure its balanced and fun to play. Our large testing team will give you feedback will guide your work. Our art team will help you with creating new statics, terrain, lighting, effects and textures for your level. Experience with another multiplayer mod and basic modeling (to show artists your gameplay/level ideas, simple temporary props) is benificial but not required.

For all positions: You're a communicative teamplayer that loves computer games and/or world war 2. For maps we often rotate the project between different developers to speed up development time and make higher quality maps. All our Game- and Level designers are required to join our gameplay tests 2 days a week (Thursday/Sunday).

And as always: We will consider applications in all areas of modding/game development.

Apply by email to fh2mod@gmail.com

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2 wants YOU!
« Reply #1 on: 21-02-2011, 16:02:39 »
Concerning level design:

How much talent/ experience is required to get accepted by the team and is it necessary to create Easter Front maps or are you open for every theater (except pacific  ;) )?

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-02-2011, 18:02:01 »
It depends on how you define talent, we dont want people who can make nice panaromas that are unplayable. We had far to much of that in our previous releases sadly. The focus of the designer is to create a good experience for the players, if it can be done from a "real" scanario even better. This position is for work on the russian 1944 campaign for now but of course we wont stay with that forever.

Your job as the designer is to layout the overall design of the map. Planning out distances, how the map is going to play from a fixed point (combined arms, tank map, infantry map, city map)

*Work on the playable areas heightmap to give nice flanking positions, ridges, roads, chokepoints.
* Use statics to provide cover (boxes, sandbags, wrecks, craters)
*Make good flag areas with team spawns so that the fights are always over the flags and not some random defined area, you plan out how the fights for each flag is going to take place.
* Make sure that main bases cannot be baseraped easily
*Adjust the map with feedback from testing (this is the most important part since no matter how well you plan your map, hardcore gamers always tend to find loopholes in your design  ;) )
* Make sure all paths and roads are logical and smooth (apply spline etc)
* Make sure your design works from performance constrains laid out by the engine/content.

What you need in technical skills:
Working with heightmaps in bf2editor (the common tools, plattform tool, apply spline)
Level editor in bf2  (placing statics, measure tool, road tool)
Being able to paint in editor to create masks for the artists to use (mask out areas with gravel, dirt fields etc)
Make basic Overgrowth needed for gameplay.

But most important: Youre fanatical about creating a good and solid experince for the players,

Art skills: lighting, texturing, statics, undergrowth, effects, sounds and advanced heightmaps are made by the artists/sound guys. What is good is if you can communicate visual concepts of lighting, statics, terrain to artists trough drawings or photos but not necessary. Thats also why strong teamplay and communication skills are necessary.

If you have previous experience from mapping another mod or tournaments thats ideal.
« Last Edit: 21-02-2011, 18:02:10 by Fenring »

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-02-2011, 18:02:51 »
Hm, I have no experience and I don't know if I would have the will to finish such big projects but maybe I will try...
 ;D

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #4 on: 21-02-2011, 19:02:32 »
I would really like to apply for this, however since I did not have enough time for playing with DLF, which whould have first priority, I must understand that I will not have time for this... Sadly, epic oppertunity.

FHT dudes - show em what you've learned in fht mapping team - this is your shot.

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Vernah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-02-2011, 19:02:07 »
What exactly would the coder be coding for fh2 and are there already FH2 dev coders?

azreal

« Reply #6 on: 21-02-2011, 20:02:14 »
We have three coders: Spit, Kev4000, and Gunnie. Although they are usually backed up with fixing bugs and exporting vehicles so the more the merrier.

I'm not really sure what would be required of a coder, but you must have some knowledge of how the BF2 code system works. I'll let Kev or Spit explain in more detail.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-02-2011, 21:02:09 »
Well regarding coders, you know all those things unique to fh2: deployable weapons, fly-overs, prone-only mgs, camera-shake, suppression? Thats the coders you're seeing there. The unsung heroes of the mod.

Ever wanted to make a grand idea come true in fh2: useable ships, torpedos, better airplane and tank handling, real suppression, commander assets, Tow-able AT guns etc? that frontier is yours to explore

I love all the work devs do, but personally, these are the real badasses.

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-02-2011, 22:02:44 »
if I had the talent and patience to create maps, it would be for me a pleasure and an honnor to help the Fh2 development team, but with Vista, trying to run the BF2 editor is praticaly impossible. If I could found a way to make bf2 editor, I will first try to get the basics of the editor and then, maybe post my candidature. for the moment I wish the best luck for devs to continue this wonderfull mod.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #9 on: 21-02-2011, 22:02:58 »
bf2editor works smoothly on vista and 7 but you just need to have the installer and the program itself run in xp compatibility mode.
CMP Gaming

Offline Vernah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21-02-2011, 23:02:45 »
A friend and I are interested in trying out Python coding in Fh2, we're going to help with some stuff at WaW and see if we can play around with some stuff. We need to add some projects to our portfolio and there's no better way to start than on the mod we jerk off to every morning.

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #11 on: 22-02-2011, 01:02:42 »
Well, i've submitted my application. What is there to lose?

Apart from your dignity.

*prepares for the cold hand of reality to slap in the face*

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #12 on: 22-02-2011, 01:02:40 »
  Does FH2 want me?
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22-02-2011, 02:02:22 »
  Does FH2 want me?

We all need you, Lainer.

Uh, i dont know, i'll have to do the mapping bit again, would be an honor to serve the 2010 MOTY winner :D

I Remember the days when Aggroman helped me with 3dsmax :o, certainly it was fun. I'll see what i can do in the next few months ;)

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #14 on: 22-02-2011, 04:02:22 »
  Does FH2 want me?

Sure ;)

FH2 loves you all.. it needs you and feeds on your love and affection for it, your care and understanding. Your blood and your tears and your mind and your soul! It runs on the fires of your motivation and impulsion! It lives forever in the memory of man, and it is Driven by your highest hopes, hopes that are not forgotten but right "there", in your heart and uncrushable dreams, save only by your own potential and limitations.
We want you all, we need you all, for without all of you FH2 would only be a distant vision, crossing the horizon at twilight, unknown to its own potential, a potential that could change the world.