Author Topic: Giving Aberdeen some love  (Read 12388 times)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Aberdeen some love
« Reply #15 on: 30-01-2011, 23:01:46 »
*highfive Tor

To be honest, I love Aberdeen. It is one of my favorite maps (mostly because of the scout planes and doing tihngs star wars trench run style)

I do support this thread though, Aberdeen gets stale midgame once camping position are set up. (Though if you do manage to get an opponent to the boxing ring, its awesome)

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31-01-2011, 01:01:14 »
The trick is not in fixing Aberdeen - it's in finding a developer willing to waste time on what is quite generally considered to be the worst map in FH2. With no Eastern Front maps and only a handful of Ardennes maps, why would anyone want a mapper to spend time on this piece of work?

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31-01-2011, 01:01:57 »
guderian have expressed himself to me that he would love to fix it

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31-01-2011, 01:01:49 »
Because there are a bunch of mappers in the community that are not in the dev team.  F|H guys, WaW and others. 

Perhaps set it up like a community contest.  Set 4-6 weeks for time for the mappers to rework their map.  Put all the maps into an easy installer, then plan a date to mass play them to find a favorite or two.  Then those reworked ones could become Aberdeen_32, Aberdeen_16 if not just replace the current _64.

- Maps must be renamed  operation_aberdeen_YOURNAME
- Mappers can do multiple submissions operation_aberdeen_YOURNAME_2
- Goal is light effort rework ( Light/No Terrain Changes, Light/No static changes, Change Flags, ObjectSpawners, Bleed, Etc)
- Post the maps by Date X
- Play testing event on Date Y

Bribe someone to put together an advert for it.  And get enough people to play test the versions.  Have them give their feedback and Lightning gets to announce the losers.

I can think of quite a few people that I know have the skill to do this and are not on the dev team (maybe not the time atm).  Zeno, Tass, Taz, Kummitus, WasntmeNL, Lister, Behr, Elander.  And those are just the F|H guys I know.  I'm sure there are a slew in WaW and well.  Also there are a bunch of individual guys that post their maps in the modding area that would have the skills to do it as well.  If a mapper contributed, they would know that they layout would get played atleast and possibly become part of the mod.

I think it would be great if the community outside of the dev team put their ideas down, added a little bit of elbow grease and their input would result in FH2 becoming better.

We would need
- MS paint Monkeys to brainstorm ideas for different layouts (come on djinn)
- A few skilled mappers to lend a day or two of time
- A few graphics, A server for a day or two
- A news post to get more interest for mappers and play testers.

Let's turn a lemon into lemonade!
« Last Edit: 31-01-2011, 02:01:48 by phillip »

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31-01-2011, 02:01:08 »
Lets all murder Aberdeen and replace it with some Eastern Front maps  8)
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31-01-2011, 03:01:08 »
I don't mind it.  I also really really like Tunis for that matter.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31-01-2011, 03:01:05 »
Aberdeen was awesome in the old days.

But then came maps like Mareth and then Normandy and, it simply died.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31-01-2011, 04:01:04 »
aberdeen was never awesome..  ::)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31-01-2011, 04:01:32 »
Dont be like that :(, it was

a w e s o m e

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31-01-2011, 06:01:05 »
Balance problem is not about map, it's about weapon. Aberdeen worked just fine in 2.15.

I don't understand why the desert panzer pzg40 was reduced to 3 per tank. Those HVAP in Normandy needs to be reduced since it one shot even KT to the front, the pzg40 in aberdeen for example, can't even damage the Matilda to the front, and needs 2-3 shots to kill it from the side. And then again the top armor and pz3 cupola issue, it's these things make the map imbalance.

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31-01-2011, 07:01:13 »
Balance problem is not about map, it's about weapon. Aberdeen worked just fine in 2.15.

I don't understand why the desert panzer pzg40 was reduced to 3 per tank. Those HVAP in Normandy needs to be reduced since it one shot even KT to the front, the pzg40 in aberdeen for example, can't even damage the Matilda to the front, and needs 2-3 shots to kill it from the side. And then again the top armor and pz3 cupola issue, it's these things make the map imbalance.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ALSO TEAM LOCK THE AT GUNS. Germans lose half their tanks to captures PAK guns, such bs it seems like most of German AT weapons are positioned to be used by the British.
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31-01-2011, 08:01:27 »
You all seemed to forgot the infantries again.

It was the guys manning the 88 who did big stuff in the battle. Not to mention the Indian infantries holding their position strongly.

The towns and villages in this desolate map seems pretty pointless IMO. It has every infantry equipment, but totally useless for tanks to actually visit if it wasn't for capping flags. We could just waited outside and storm the shit out of careless tankers trying to cap the flag.

I propose a dig-in tank positions. Much like dirt walls where tanks can dug in and fight with moar protection.

I guess I was influenced by Blitzkrieg game too much.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31-01-2011, 10:01:06 »
I like Phillip's idea.

Also, if the devteam is so disappointed in the map as is - having been "officially" tested and all - then what would be the problem if it was replaced by a version the community feels to be superior? Because it did not go through the "official" process? Because it was not tested by the betatesting team only? Honestly, that's just bureaucracy and red tape, can be bypassed if it needs to.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #28 on: 31-01-2011, 11:01:53 »
*highfive Tor

To be honest, I love Aberdeen. It is one of my favorite maps (mostly because of the scout planes and doing tihngs star wars trench run style)

I do support this thread though, Aberdeen gets stale midgame once camping position are set up. (Though if you do manage to get an opponent to the boxing ring, its awesome)
Aye, Aberdeen is not fun for the battle, it's fun for the eastern village. Whoever gets there first and grabs the scout plane. Then fly high, dive low and annoy enemy tankers.

Or hide in Central Village with a Boys and mininukes and wait for some stupid German to cap the flag in a tank.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31-01-2011, 12:01:02 »
Actually, Aberdeen is one of my favorites map in FH2. Aberdeen and Bardia: <3

Woaw, realy ?  :o

I don't even see why we are discussing this map. The work involved is so big we could have a complete other desert map instead ...