Ramelle-Neuville
Sidi Rezegh
Siege of Giarabub
Siege of Tobruk
St-Lo Breakthrough
Supercharge
Tunis
Villers Bocage
Damn, one option to much that can't get removed.

Author Topic: What 5 maps would you miss the least?  (Read 15667 times)

azreal

Re: What 5 maps would you miss the least?
« Reply #15 on: 25-01-2011, 22:01:15 »
My opinions:

Bardia - It's an early FH2 map that is quite ugly by today's standards. Also the gameplay is quite "bleh".

Operation Aberdeen - Need I say more? We have maps like Alam Halfa, Gazala, and Mareth Line for large NA tank battles.

Mersa Matruh - It is kind of bland as well. Has good intentions but I think would need a serious overhaul to make it fun again.

Tunis - Kinda agree with Flippy. Some parts are fun, but it also feels like Counter Strike:FH2 at some points. It also lacks the interior design details that other maps have.

Couldn't pick a 5th map.

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25-01-2011, 22:01:43 »
Anctoville - Only map that lags me to hell when playing on Euro server
PHL - Bored to death of predictable linear push mode maps
Operation Superchange -  Bored to death of pred.....
Damn, one option to much that can't get removed. - God I hate this map. Ugly as hell.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25-01-2011, 22:01:00 »
Aberdeen.- too small map to represent a huge operation, short view distance for tank combat, finally, no mobile 88 =[

Tunis.- its just way too spamy, granades everywhere, no clear objective for any of the teams,etc,etc. like other have said, reminds me of counter strike

Lutich.- WAY to small view distance for armored vehicles, city is small, it doesnt feel like a city/town at all.

bardia.- its fun to play, but the look of it doesnt feel rigth, way too yellow xD.

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25-01-2011, 22:01:31 »
Mersa Matruh - Goddamn rapefest... I just hate it.

Fall of Tobruk

Anctoville

Sfakia

looks like I don't like infantry oriented maps...

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25-01-2011, 22:01:55 »
Anctoville- Maybe with some tweaking would be better, but in my experience, about 1/2 the games the British players get pinned down on their start flag by German Panzers.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25-01-2011, 22:01:33 »
There are only 3 maps I wouldn't miss as for current situation.

Sidi Rezegh - the one and only map I truly dislike (even hate). Seems boring, whoring, pale, stale and generrally uninteresting. It just drags on and on.

Aberdeen - because it's aberdeen. Nothing special. Fubar landscape and balance that shifted with every patch till 2.2.

Mont olympus - just doesn't work for pubbie type of play I guess. The action is spread and unfocused. It's mostly flag hopping and the urban fight is like running in a maze full of headless chickens.

The next two just had to be picked to make a final five but I guess I'd miss them at some point.

Siedge of Tobruk - A map that has lost it's charm somewhere along the way. The gameplay now seems odd for some reason. I know I'd miss it after a year tho.

Alam Halfa - Altho I like this map in general (as I love'em all exept sidi) it doesn't appeal to me as much in general. Maybe som bad experiences on it. IDK.

Basically all maps should get their love they deserve. They're unique in their own right and contribute to the diversity of FH2.

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25-01-2011, 22:01:00 »
I choose 3 maps, 3 maps where I likely start to quit the game.

Olympus:
the cities are nice, the map looks nice, the castel is cool, you get tanks - tanks which explode when you look at them in the wrong angle. You dont get any transport between the cities, therefore you are shot down by anything from the castle on the hill. Boysrifle is dominating over the full map. And the try to make the map balanced with the german team attacking + adding bombs to hurrican does not satisfy me.

Ramelle:
Tigers wohooo ;D - wo  :o oo :-\ o o  >:(
No matter how hard the american team tries, they get slaugthert at least till bridge. Uniform incorrect, map incorrect, ammo for bazzokas incorrect, Comp. B rediculouse. Mortar without ammo, sandbags that makes your tiger explode, people screaming "wtf why do I spawm 1,5 flags behind". One, maybe the only one where tactic doestn not count at all. For me Tunis got more tactics, thats why I didnt choose Tunis. I would love Ramelle with 1 tiger only, 1 marder only. a second way over the river for infantry. Mortar with ammo. But ok its a movie map, a movie map wth does a movie map has to do in historical accurate FH2, where on so many maps each house is on the correct place (e.g. PDH, PHL)

Villers:
I took this because I want that this map is changed again to the old version / a version thats inbetween the old one and this one. Why? Because: The sapce is much too big, in the new made open space there is nothing just empty fields. The south way through the river is now deep and you cant pass, therefore you have acces to the very south fields south of the city and can shot into the german mainbase. You also have an easy game when the british get Hill and Villers and are raping the exits of german mainbase. The north village is soo damm small, it needs to be 2 times the size. I dont like the spawmpoint in the church when I want to spawm in the city. You cant sneak very well, eventhough the space would be there, but the bridges are limiting that factor hard.

-----
I know how much work is it to build maps, and I would love to even be able to make the little village of north villers. But you guys are perfectionist, you know your job pretty good, and this critic should motivate you to make the maps better and better.

Why I didnt choose maps like Bardia, Tunis, Aberdeen.
Bardia: yeah its not the same standart as the other maps, but it has Italians and Aussis. And this maps makes me always play very hard since I want to prevent the spawmrapepartydeluxeneverseenbefore at the end of the map when the Italians just have the north east flag left.
Tunis: its a fun map. I like to fight against DLF there as they always give me a hard time. And I like to push my squad - and this is one of the maps where I shout almost all time into the mic. It also get a new flag which I really like, and which is the most important one, because you can cap it right after the first 3, so you can fall in the enemies back.

Aberdeen: I still hope for a remake / rebuild / adjust of this map. Why I didnt choose it - its an african map, and I like African maps so much. Just give them some Panzer IV F2.

Anctonville: because the last 2 times were great (on british side !) had much fun, teamplay was good. Just toooooo many tanks

so I know this is really a long post, but I wanted to give you clear comments of why and because, since I think thats what you guys need, and want from such a pool
See you good night

edit: Ramelle 4 votes, brest 8 . . . interesting ...
« Last Edit: 25-01-2011, 22:01:50 by eXavs IrishReloaded »

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:37 »
Voted Aberdeen, Ramelle, Bardia, Villers.

Aberdeen, made only for tankers and ugly,
Ramelle, boring and not realy FH like imo. Would have prefered Omaha (real one),
Bardia, ugly and too hard,
Villers, too small.

I'm surprised that many voted against Anctoville, it's one of my favorite. Olympus is great, but should have less AT rifles. Also I liked it more as it was before, without push and grey flags at the start. Now the british AT rifles just have to line up and wait for the axis tanks :\
« Last Edit: 25-01-2011, 23:01:27 by Beaufort »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:53 »
 All you hater's should be stripped of playing rights.

Tunis is amazing, Otolikos is a genius of mapping for Fh and FH2. Complaints of nade spam in particular are bullshit, as nobody gets more than one grenade and ammo boxes are not plentiful. Personally, I think most people dislike Tunis because it requires greater teamwork than most of us are willing to provide.

I totally experience the last stand qualities of the map, and with the newest changes, I feel Tunis is actually the strongest urban combat map we have.

Moving on, Mersa kicks ass, so does Olympus, so does Ramelle,

In fact, every map ever made for FH1, FH2, FHSW are all good. Given the scarcity of mappers and the length of time required to create them, is it really a good idea for us to then have this kind of thread?

We should all take our lumps and admit that we are never going to love every map that was ever made. Following Forgotten Hope has been like watching a tapestry get made or watching a cathedral get built, with our patience has come many great rewards...

Keep up the good work mappers and ignore this thread.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:29 »

Too late. It was a mapper who created this thread.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:51 »
 The problem with these forums is that we are not visited by everyone who plays FH.
Given that a minority view is then presented, it becomes an issue to me as our smaller voice in turn, dominates the future development and gameplay of this mod.

This type of thread is dangerous as our personal opinions do not best reflect the overall wishes of the mod community and once this type of development takes hold, we can pretty much kiss our asses goodbye.

We have had a map feedback forum for a long time now, so why are we re-creating a general "map hater's thread" elsewhere?  How about a "which 5 maps would you change" thread? instead of what do you hate most?

Sometimes alot of message comes from the delivery and this type of thread leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth because invariably once people are invited to openly criticize, someone is bound to become offended.

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:55 »
I love all of them, but seriously sheikyerbouti , you should think before talking. ::)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:44 »
The same applies to you Alakazou,

My response is thought out and relevant to the topic at hand, whereas your response to me is a simple act of trolling.

so who was thinking before they posted?

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:55 »
Oh, come on both of you. Knoffhoff just asks a question for his personal deeds. Don't think that there will be some big design change because of it. It's good that testers and devs ask things like that to check if they're not too much detached from the community and it's opinion. And I think that asking people visiting this forum is best way to get a hang of things. The atentive players are most loyal and therefore most important for game development in long term.

Offline Knoffhoff

• Developer
  • Vorstopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25-01-2011, 23:01:01 »

Don't worry. Most mappers are aware that not everything they ever did was gold.
Of course it might be a little shock for one or another to see their maps leading the list.
But most mappers can take that and can even get a clear input where they need to fix things.
Like said earlier this poll actually was made out of my personal interest. Personal interest that got created by all the other polls that have maps with very low number of votes even though I can't imagine nobody likes them.
With the "best map" poll a map that actually is not bad might end with only one vote just because nobody considers it to be one of his favorite maps but nobody would consider to not like it.
Vote for the maps that I created and of course I'll be a bit dejected, but then I will try to make them better.
On most maps there is not much to fix. Anctoville for example gets many votes because the start of the map doesn't really work out as it is now. But the mapper knows that it is not a bad map in general and needs a small fix only to make it rank high in the next best map poll.