Author Topic: parachute swing  (Read 2948 times)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
parachute swing
« on: 19-12-2010, 00:12:08 »
In current version of Invasion of Crete, we mostly must either land with junkers (most safe way imo) or go for very far edges of map to jump safely. Even then attempt will be totally spoiled if there happens to be just one guy with MG looking for that area.

Now what I suggest: Make parachute swing from side to side. It would make hitting those poor germans a bit harder. Now it actually looks almost bit stupid, as player with parachute is so static, just falling derectly toward ground.

Maybe we would actually see people jumping out of plane and not risk their lives by pressing 9 as close to ground as they dare?

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: parachute swing
« Reply #1 on: 19-12-2010, 01:12:12 »
I concur. I'd also like to see chutes being pulled right after one exits the plane... not 30 feet above ground, because it just didn't work like that. But I see that's most likely impossible to do :/

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-12-2010, 10:12:44 »
I concur. I'd also like to see chutes being pulled right after one exits the plane... not 30 feet above ground, because it just didn't work like that. But I see that's most likely impossible to do :/

Actually this is could be possible to implement with the code that is in use already. If you wait too long to pull your line, then you will die atm, this could be increased, but then any drop from a plane at lower hight would lead to your death, so I can see a lot of grief on the side of the pilots at this point. ;) Always remember that things are scaled down on FH2 maps.

The first suggestion does go into the game mechanics and I am not sure if this is possible to change.
« Last Edit: 19-12-2010, 10:12:51 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-12-2010, 10:12:46 »
Well supply drop and I believe jeep too swings in vanilla  ;)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-12-2010, 10:12:39 »
Well supply drop and I believe jeep too swings in vanilla  ;)

Yes but totally random swinging, as I read it, you wanted controllable swinging?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-12-2010, 11:12:51 »
No no no. It could be controllable, but what I orginally meant, was random. Those parachutes of ww2 were not controllable right? So just random swing.

As in wiki: "The first round parachutes were simple, flat circulars. These early parachutes suffered from instability caused by oscillations. A hole in the apex helped to vent some air and reduce the oscillations." "A round parachute with no holes in it is more prone to oscillate, and is not considered to be steerable."

No idea if german parachutes had hole in them, but round parachute like that should always have some random movement from side to side.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-12-2010, 15:12:23 »
Signed, i would also like the parachute swing. - and an allied parachute map.

and whats more important: fallschirmjägerskins xD - the standard helmet couldnt be used for parachute because you could seriously hurt your neck with it (air under the "skirts" that where on german helmets).
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

azreal

« Reply #7 on: 19-12-2010, 16:12:44 »
Yes, the German parachutes have holes in them.

Standard military parachutes are designed to get you onto the ground fast without breaking any bones. There is no control with them. Civilian and special forces parachutes are the ones that are controllable.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #8 on: 20-12-2010, 04:12:33 »
Oh yes.  I'd love that sort of random swing.  It's too easy just to pick off each parachutist with a rifle.

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20-12-2010, 06:12:14 »
good idea if its possible

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #10 on: 20-12-2010, 13:12:03 »
Oh yes.  I'd love that sort of random swing.  It's too easy just to pick off each parachutist with a rifle.

+1. This needs to be in :)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #11 on: 20-12-2010, 13:12:59 »
Oh yes.  I'd love that sort of random swing.  It's too easy just to pick off each parachutist with a rifle 8 bofors emplacements all watching the sky.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20-12-2010, 15:12:40 »

+1. This needs to be in :)

Ditto.

Offline Vicious

• I belong to Naughty Club
  • Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22-12-2010, 06:12:47 »
other ideas for for making crete easier could be to have static paradrop locations like the original market garden. thus allowing for massive paradrops implemented along with the spawnwave system.

another is the diversion dummies which was used in fht, I don't know to what success.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-12-2010, 20:12:16 »
other ideas for for making crete easier could be to have static paradrop locations like the original market garden. thus allowing for massive paradrops implemented along with the spawnwave system.
No! First: the fun of taking off ina fully manned Ju52 will betaken away from me and many others, and 2) it isn't making it easier to land, it is making it easier to shoot paratroopers, because now the places where they drop out of the sky are static, therefore taking away a large part of the surprise factor.

another is the diversion dummies which was used in fht, I don't know to what success.
Not so big a success, the difference was way too obvious. At least, that's what I was told.