Author Topic: How Did You Find Out About FH1/2?  (Read 13139 times)

Offline GuinNess

• Member of Irishforce
    • View Profile
Re: How Did You Find Out About FH1/2?
« Reply #15 on: 08-12-2010, 09:12:50 »
I found the FH1 mod in a german game magazine (Gamestar) . They made a special magazine including only BF1942 mods. Since then I know about FH  :)

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-12-2010, 13:12:52 »
FH1:
Bought a new PC in 2003 around the time when BF1942 came out, and I was hooked for months. I'm the kind of gamer that never really looks beyond games so to speak (to see what does and doesn't work), I just take a game for what it is and go along. And I loved BF1942 for what it was, despite it's simplified battles and hardware.
Then in 2004 when my nerdy IT friends showed me the concept of mods and what was being made for BF, a whole new world opened up for me. First was Desert Combat I think, followed by FH1, Eve Of Destruction and that Star Wars mod I keep forgetting the name of. But the SW mod went no where and out of my friends I was the only one who really was into the whole WWII era, while they were more like "dude, you can fly Apaches and MiG 29's in Desert Combat, why bother with those oldfashioned prop planes?"
Eve Of Destruction somehow got lost in the storm (and replaced by BF:Vietnam) and I basically played FH1 for years. It's funny that it is at least 3 years since I've played it last, but it feels like last month. Can still easily visualize the levels and the epic experiences. Pity that when BF2 came out the FH population began to dwindle to the point where I couldn't find any populated servers anymore.

FH2:
When BF2 came out I still had the same PC so I couldn't play it, or the early FH2 version. A friend of mine who played a lot of vanilla BF2 installed it but he didn't like the hardcore-ness of it all. He was more into Desert Combat at the time, so BF2 was enough. But I liked that first glimpse of FH2 (Alam Halfa was the first map I played) but I at first hated how slow it was and unforgiving it was. Not the overall game, but how slow the movements were. When running it felt like you were running through mud, and you could only run short distances. Flying bummed my out too, at first, because of the wonky cockpit view.
But around 2007 I got a new PC that could sort of run BF2 and since then I've played nothing else and gotten completely used to the different game dynamics of the BF2 engine.

I don't keep track of different versions (or the big changes made within), but I like that FH has become more beautiful with every new update. For a game that's basically 5 years old, it's amazing. FH dev's, I salute you!
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-12-2010, 16:12:35 »
Played BF1942 Demo and then BF1942 for ages, then got a little bored and looked for something to spice things up. found Desert combat and soon after the even better DCX (Desert Combat Extended) and played DCX for quite a while. 
hen tried out some other mods like Interstate  and battlegroud and soon after battlegroup i found FH.  could have been around the 0.5 or 0.6 release i am not really sure.

i still played lots of other mods like "Silent Heroes" (epic sweden vs norway action) and Galactic conquest (starwars mod) but it didnt take me long to settle for FH. Soon after i joined toddels and today other devs clan. the green devils / grüne teufel. I never really played that much in the leagues and competetive play but since then i am devotet to FH and when FH2 was about to get going it was a natural step become a beta-tester asap.

i played BF2 demo a little and soon after release i played the "extended" demo on "special servers" but only when i became beta-tester i actually bought the damn game. in total my hours played BF2 vanilla should not exceed 1 digit numbers. i tried Pr but never really got into the "forced" realism and the long walks of the game. so i simply kept playing fh.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08-12-2010, 18:12:41 »
Saw a news post a long time ago on planetbattlefield about a new mod coming out for BF1942 with new maps, new weapons and now vehicles. Decided to put it on my watch list while i played DC. Then when it came out i downloaded it and started playing for a few hours every weekend. And so it has been ever since. Only the last 2 years i decided to stop lurking and start posting on the forums here.

azreal

« Reply #19 on: 10-12-2010, 17:12:51 »
Ok, let me ask you all this. What would be the best way to reach out to new players? It seems we have a mix of people who found out about FH from 1. websites; 2. friends; 3. other sources (magazines, other mods, ect.).

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10-12-2010, 18:12:56 »
Approaching the "hardcore" BF2 community 5+ after the release of the game might not work, those are the folks that play Karkand 24/7 and are not likely to change their habits before moving on to BF3. IMO you need to find "new" people who are interested in WW2 games instead.

I would suggest that you actively approach gaming magazines and/or websites and try to get them interested in running a story/feature/review about FH2 (this might will require several tries with preferably a new version each time). At least the logal gaming mag Pelit sometimes features mods alongside commercial games - the omnipresent PR, Fall from Heaven, and Ultima V: Lazarus come to mind as recent examples that got full-size reviews instead of just little featurettes only.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19-12-2010, 11:12:05 »
Hard to remember as I was like 11 back then. I probably saw it in a newspost in bf42.com. My first memory of the game is running in the desert in el alamein shooting bots with an mg34.

Offline hslan.GN_Angrybeaver

• FH-Betatester
  • EEVIIIIIIL BEAVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19-12-2010, 13:12:07 »
i saw some news of fh on bf42.de (at that time it was a realy good website).
at this point it was still some time till a releasedate,but i kept following fh,
finally downloaded it and addicted sice first release

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20-12-2010, 00:12:32 »
i saw some news of fh on bf42.de (at that time it was a realy good website).
at this point it was still some time till a releasedate,but i kept following fh,
finally downloaded it and addicted sice first release

Same here. Gaming Networks aka bf42.de. It is looki.de these days. Don't bother looking it up. We had fun back in the days spamming comments at the news posts with nerd request, annoying Armin Ace to death.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #24 on: 21-12-2010, 02:12:27 »
Think it was FH 0.6 or 0.7 in a Swedish game magazine called SuperPLAY

Offline Sgt.Radman

• View Profile
    • Why Should I?
« Reply #25 on: 22-12-2010, 13:12:20 »
I had me dragged in by a friend. He asked me if I liked WW2, and asked me if I would be willing to download a great mod. THat was back at FH2 2.0 I think.

I played/installed FH 0.7 just to try it out but didn't like it cause of the BF42 engine. BUt well made and lots of stuff.

Offline Wasntmenl

• FHT Mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22-12-2010, 13:12:10 »
After playing battlegroup 42 coop with a mate on lan a couple of months ago I was looking for it again. I stumbled uppon the FHT addon wich featured the duthc. The FHT addon really appealed to me since it had the dutch in em wich was and still is verry uncommon for ww2 shooters (basicly after this addon I didnt bother looking for more). Having to go to their website to get it and seeing they started an campaign around the battles in Norway and Finland. I immidiatly joined in half oktober couple of years ago few months before fh2 came out. Because I had never fought a ww2 battle in Norway or Finland. I always had a weak for the periods during ww2 that are scarcely depicted by pc games. Unfortunatly this campaign ended prematurly after fh2 was released. The best battle of that campaign for me was the battle centered around the Oslo fortress that we germans had to storm and capture. After the first battle I visited the official fh site for the first time. Immidiatly went trough all the data on the site like vehicles section and weapons section and just seeing how much stuff was actually in it. Poland, early france etc I was astonished. Since then I have always kept a keen eye on forgotten hope develepments and the FHT tournament. Since then it has been a big source for ww2 knowledge in all cinds of areas and I started to activly search information about ww2 on my own. Together with the Europabarbarorum mod for RTW it has been the best mod I have ever played so far (and that I have sticked to as long as I had knowledge about it). Thanks for all the hard work and dedication guys really appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27-12-2010, 17:12:08 »
I was bored and surfed on youtube watching some bf2 videos, when i was playing regular bf2 back then. then i found a link on the side about FH2. i just saw the bolt action guns and because im somehow interested in ww2, i gave the mod a try.
After that i managed to get 2 friends playing the mod too.

so youtube. i would recommend to spam the whole internet with fh2 videos. :)
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29-12-2010, 05:12:09 »
One day back in like 2008 I tried BGF, so in june 2010 I said me "hey I want to try it again".

Google : bf2 WW2 mod.

Fall on FH2, "I think it was this one", download, install, play.

See that there's people playing online, ok that's not BGF, but its better  ;D
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29-12-2010, 17:12:03 »
I found FH when FH0.7 was just released... There was a thread about it on FinnWars mod's forum.