Author Topic: Infantry Boot Camp for FH2  (Read 36535 times)

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
Re: Infantry Boot Camp for FH2
« Reply #105 on: 20-11-2009, 22:11:25 »
on some of the screens from the link you gave me, I'm very aware that underneath the 'barriers', it looks hollow.  I'm trying to find ways to cover those 'holes'.  For some of the buildings at the garrisons, I'll try to fix those.  And why those custom statics I placed in the map are missing is beyond me.  I'll check the the zip file to see if that objects folder is in there.  I'll also check the init.con file to make sure the static objects files weren't erased or anything.

As for those doors that look awkwardly placed on the bunkers, I did that on purpose.  Think of it as a steel plate in case someone aims that MG at the bunker.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, my custom objects were dependent the objects folder in the fh2 directory (I did extract all those objects so they could be viewed in the editor).  I removed the objects folder from the fh2 directory and all the objects I created disappeared along with it... if I put just my custom statics by themselves in the objects folder, it comes back (but crashes briefly afterwards).  If I can't figure it out, I'll just talk to the bfeditor.org people.
« Last Edit: 21-11-2009, 02:11:51 by pheeph »

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 26-11-2009, 20:11:21 »
okay, let's try this again......

Here's a WIP 4 re-release of "Infantry Boot Camp" for FH2

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9HTP1JX1

I also made some additions and changes to the map:

-The objects I made should be showing this time... I re-exported the objects with DDS textures after finding out they were previously exported using TGA textures when it actually doesn't work in BF2.

-Central Garrison at the combat zone: lowered some buildings and adjusted the terrain so people won't notice the "bottom" of the buildings (as The Warrior (CnJ) pointed out)

-FH2 sandbag walls now replace most of the vanilla BF2 sandbag walls.  They're in the shooting range, AT-range, and Grenade Training Range of the training areas.  The Central Garrison in the combat zone also has its sandbag walls replaced with FH2 sanbag walls.  A number of areas still have vanilla BF2 sandbag walls, but I'll deal that later.

-Added signs at the Light/Medium MG range and AT-range.

And if the map happens to crash, then I know it's not just me... right now my PC is randomly deselecting programs (even games).

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 29-11-2009, 02:11:25 »
Just for some entertainment regarding my map... here's some videos on the Allied side of the Boot Camp map.  Note that not all of the training areas are shown.

Urban Combat Training
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1e2gNgih5E

Obstacle Course (Don't mind the cutout of the Canadian soldier... I think I incorrectly exported the 4th Axis cutout)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtbJnLMcA8

Shooting Range
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9GEzmSfFVA

Machine Gun Ranges
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEfsJ1Gpu70

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 29-11-2009, 06:11:55 »
At the ranges, could you put a table with AT kits? I didn't grab one at spawn and was disappoinjted when I couldn't blow up the kublewagon :/

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 29-11-2009, 06:11:22 »
well, in the Allied area there is an AT rifle in one of the booths at the shooting range.  Same thing with the Axis side.  However, if you want, I can move the AT pickup kit near the limited AT range on both sides.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 29-11-2009, 07:11:29 »
I would most appreaciate it, I guess I didn't see the kit at the allied side, sorry  :-\

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 30-11-2009, 07:11:23 »
Question:  Why didn't you use the destroyable, respawning, generic soldier targets?  The ones in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOV4DR_H24

Supposedly, they are in the game files already.

Other than that, good work.

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 30-11-2009, 18:11:27 »
I'll have to ask the devs about that.  Didn't know the existence of those things.

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 02-12-2009, 06:12:42 »
update on Infantry Boot Camp.

After finding out where the dummy soldiers were in the mod, I'm replacing the cutouts with these destroyable, respawning targets.  So far, much of the Allied side of the training area have the new targets (can't believe all that effort into making the Axis and Allied cutouts was for nothing...)

I'll post screenshots and youtube videos of the new changes.

And for those who say I need to fix the lightmaps, that's in the back burner.  I want to make sure things work before I even get into that.  Once I do, I gotta look at the tutorials first.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 04-12-2009, 14:12:59 »
Kudos to you pheeph! New FH2 users will definitely benefit from this map.

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 22-12-2009, 03:12:02 »
Okay, here are screenshots for FH2 Boot Camp.

This time I replaced the cutout targets dummy soldiers.  These are from the Allied side.  Obstacle Course, Shooting Range, and Urban Combat training areas now have them.

I seriously wish they had an Axis variant of these dummies...

Targets at the range

Taking out the targets at a longer range

Taking out the target with a sniper rifle

Targets at close range

Targets at an MG range

All these targets respawn within 5-10 seconds

Targets at the Light/Medium MG range

Smoke 'em

One of the targets at the Urban Combat training area

Now that the targets are done, I'm going to light map the level which I hear takes forever...
« Last Edit: 22-12-2009, 04:12:20 by pheeph »

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 22-12-2009, 06:12:06 »
good job, you did well  ;D  , replacing the targets must have been a pain

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 22-12-2009, 06:12:23 »
This map should become standard when completed

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 30-12-2009, 06:12:21 »
update on the boot camp map.

now that I have the lightmaps in boot camp, I'm planning on making another release... right after I figure out how to fix that combat area that now completely covered the map, making it unsafe for players...

I also have to figure out how to fix the sluggish framerate that occurred after the lightmapping despite high PC specs.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 30-12-2009, 09:12:50 »
update on the boot camp map.

now that I have the lightmaps in boot camp, I'm planning on making another release... right after I figure out how to fix that combat area that now completely covered the map, making it unsafe for players...

I also have to figure out how to fix the sluggish framerate that occurred after the lightmapping despite high PC specs.

are those "targets" killable? I would really like to know if I destroyed something, maybe objective mode.