Author Topic: R.U.S.E - is out  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
R.U.S.E - is out
« on: 13-09-2010, 14:09:01 »
since end of last week R.U.S.E.  the incredible good but historical incorrect RTS game has been released.

with focus on macro-management and strategy  instead of micro-management it is way different to games like starcraft 2, company of heroes or men of war.

i already made a few posts about this when the free-weekends hit aswell as the betas so if you need more info search the forums on ruse or r.u.s.e.

just wanted you to know if you need a competent ally or a good opponent give me a poke on steam ;)

hoping some of you also have the game we maybe can have a few good games together.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
Re: R.U.S.E - is out
« Reply #1 on: 13-09-2010, 14:09:01 »
Friend of mine got it, looks like a very simplified WWII World in Conflict-clone. Saw german markings on Market Garden aircraft, german AA firing on Messerschmidts (wich were meant to be allied fighters?) and quite a lot of other bugs, arty firing through hills etc. Looks ok for a bit of arcade fun, but I doubt it will have a long life.

The zooming is nice, but like, say, Supreme Commander, it eventually turns into the blue chipstacks vs the red chipstacks. One rarely zooms all the way in after a while.
« Last Edit: 13-09-2010, 15:09:10 by Gezoes »

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-09-2010, 15:09:34 »
The zooming is nice, but like, say, Supreme Commander, it eventually turns into the blue chipstacks vs the red chipstacks. One rarely zooms all the way in after a while.
With blue stack being half full of decoy and the missing half is hiding in woods behind enemy. That is atleast, if everything goes well :P.

I really like this game, everyone should have it  8)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-09-2010, 15:09:59 »
everyone should have it  8)

Buy it for us?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-09-2010, 15:09:00 »
Friend of mine got it, looks like a very simplified WWII World in Conflict-clone. Saw german markings on Market Garden aircraft, german AA firing on Messerschmidts (wich were meant to be allied fighters?) and quite a lot of other bugs, arty firing through hills etc. Looks ok for a bit of arcade fun, but I doubt it will have a long life.

What game did you see there? There is no C47 with German Markings in the game.
Contrary to World in Conflict, this game is a strategy title, not a tactics title. It focuses on macro management and not on micro management as WoC. Calling it arcade is far from true. Try playing it yourself. In my opinion it is a great new take on RTS gaming. Sure it's still rock paper scissor, but now with an uncertainty factor (which the players control - aka ruses) that makes it interesting in the long run. I predict that this game will play for at least as long as WoC and will have a big fan base since it gives a bit more than what SC2 offers and is accessible for people who won't ever archive a 450cpm rate with their mouse (like me). Or do they call it apm, as in actions per minute?

It is true that you can play as a German vs a German in the MP bit, but why should it be any different. So calling that a bug is not fair. Arty shooting through mountains is also something I have yet to encounter. The only negative thing I found to date is an instability when a player forcefully disconnects from the game.

Other than that, the Single Player is really good as well.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-09-2010, 15:09:16 »
I really enjoyed all the demos and betas they let out on Steam, I spent 30 hours playing those alone. R.U.S.E. is definitely a future buy for me

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-09-2010, 16:09:15 »
well the terrain hight is not important in this game, if a tank is on one side of a mountain / hill and the target on the other side he will simply fire over/through the mountain/hill. but you only actually see this if you zoom on a lot. from further above you dont really see the mountain/hills that much and they also dont block line of sight. only buildings and woods block line of sight.

the game is somewhat simplified, in it controls and tactical possibilities, no hold fire, ground attack, overrun infantry with tanks etc. the focus is on big STRATEGIC decisions, unit placement and army compositions. there is not much micromanagement and units dont have special abilities like in WoT (flares/smoke/special ammo shots etc) or company of heroes  (upgrade infantry with MG or throw grenade) or starcraft2  blink here, storm there, cloak banshees here.

all this micro management which requires fast and constant clicking is not needed.
what you require is good STRATEGIC thinking use of R.U.S.E. to deceive your enemy and then crushing him.

granted the singleplayer is only medicore. the story is rather "flat" and the twist very predictable. the campaign from africa - italy - normandy - marked garden - west germany  is ok but hardly historical correct in terms of avaible units and their strenghs.

but the game is well balanced and each nations has its advantages and drawbacks.

as for multiplayer, guess what like in every other game each side/nation/race can battle whoever the other team chooses.
while in singleplayer there are some missions where germans fight germans because germany already surrendered but there are some fanatics that didnt get the message, same with italy.

again this game tries not to be either historical accurate nor does it try to be realistic. stuart tanks in (very) large numbers can take out a maus, although suffering great casualties.
you could easily exchange the  Germans with race X from planet Y and  Americans with race Z from planet V all battling on planet M.

WWII in this game is JUST THE ROUGH SETTING, the units in the game are only ROUGHLY modeled after there historical counter parts.

if you want historical accuracy go play men of war or some other game.
if you are looking for a fresh new touch to the RTS genre with the main focus on STRATEGY instead of tatics with the twist of the ruses like radio silence, camouflage, terror,fanaticism and decoys that  is placed in a WW2 theme this is a game to go for.

there is a demo on steam but it doesnt really show what the game is really about, the one mission you get is really easy and more like a small tutorial for unit control. it hardly represents the multiplayer experience.

if you are not sure you might like this look for actual ingame multiplayer footage on youtube or some people even stream their games online with commentary.
http://www.livestream.com/rusewar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhKWv90zHy4&feature=related (beta gameplay ! some things change for example the early mentioned need to research anti air for italy and he has no idea how to play italy, he focuses on artillery instead of the  strong italien infantry and light tanks ... but i hope you get the idea)

or get a "not so legal" copy and try yourself vs hard AI.

this game aint for everybody but you dont need to click that much, you need to think much.

argh another wall of text

TL:DR
from a guy in the ruse forums
It's funny to me when I hear people calling RUSE a "casual" RTS game, because I am no RTS noob, but the learning curve was super steep for me. I played against the AI a few times and thought "Hey, this is easy enough!" then I proceeded to get steamrolled in ranked match after ranked match. With this short guide, I aim to help new players start winning some major victories. Keep in mind I am not a vet at this game -- I just started playing maybe three days ago -- but I turned a pretty frustrating losing streak into a winning streak (2v2/3v3/ and 1v1). You may know me as ZombieRommel from the Company of Heroes community. CoH is a game that's all about tactics, with strategy firmly in the passenger seat. Being a great tactician in that game will carry you very far, even if your overall strategy isn't as strong as it could be. RUSE takes the exact opposite approach. It stresses strategy over tactics, and being a great strategist can win you games even if you are a tactical genius. That said, being strong at both is the best combo
« Last Edit: 14-09-2010, 09:09:21 by Die Happy »
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-09-2010, 19:09:59 »

What game did you see there? There is no C47 with German Markings in the game.
Contrary to World in Conflict, this game is a strategy title, not a tactics title. It focuses on macro management and not on micro management as WoC. Calling it arcade is far from true. Try playing it yourself. In my opinion it is a great new take on RTS gaming. Sure it's still rock paper scissor, but now with an uncertainty factor (which the players control - aka ruses) that makes it interesting in the long run. I predict that this game will play for at least as long as WoC and will have a big fan base since it gives a bit more than what SC2 offers and is accessible for people who won't ever archive a 450cpm rate with their mouse (like me). Or do they call it apm, as in actions per minute?

It is true that you can play as a German vs a German in the MP bit, but why should it be any different. So calling that a bug is not fair. Arty shooting through mountains is also something I have yet to encounter. The only negative thing I found to date is an instability when a player forcefully disconnects from the game.

Other than that, the Single Player is really good as well.

I played the Market Garden mission a bit in his SP campaign. The 82nd, or the British, can't remember, was dropped out of C47's with German markings. Also, half the cities are spelled wrong in that map. Arty regulary fired through closeby hills in some of the Africa missions. Convenient at the time, but felt like cheating.

Stacking is nothing new to RTS, although it is mostly seen in turn-based, not realtime. Also, the amount of messages and confirmations is just too much. It's macro, no Company of Heroes, but apart from forests and these city squares, the terrain doesn't play that much of a role, apart from blocking LOS. I had higher hopes ;). Soundtrack and story seem nice though, graphics are good and I bet it will be a hit on consoles.

Guess I was hoping a bit for a WWII-mix inspired by Company of Heroes and World in Conflict 8)

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-09-2010, 20:09:52 »
You didn't care to read Die Happy's post eh? ;)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-09-2010, 22:09:59 »
everyone should have it  8)

Buy it for us?
If I ever win lottery, I will.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #10 on: 13-09-2010, 23:09:18 »
  Demo was great.  I hope it is hated and unloved so it goes in the cheap bin fast.  Being an axis fanboy it kinda sucked not being able to play as the ginnys or krouts in the demo.  Looks like it will even support the the PS3 wand.  Not as much depth as I like in an RTS but I think it will be a fun way to kill some time on my console.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14-09-2010, 00:09:17 »
I loved the game when I played the beta.

The one thing that severely makes me doubt about buying it is that, though it was fun, it will get tiresome pretty fast.
If the beta had only contained like 2,3 or 4 nations, then the full game would bring something new (other than just new maps). But since there's no new nations or anything, I will not buy it.

Though I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me to wether there actually is something that differs this release from the beta. New playmodes?
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-09-2010, 00:09:20 »

Though I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me to wether there actually is something that differs this release from the beta. New playmodes?

i think it was new units, new gamemodes and lots of new maps, but im not 100%sure

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14-09-2010, 07:09:04 »
I think it was new units, new gamemodes and lots of new maps, but im not 100%sure

What he said. Many thinks are reworked in the release candidate and a few new maps have been implemented.
If you can grab it from Amazon.co.uk, then you'll really get a bargain...

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14-09-2010, 10:09:29 »
I loved the game when I played the beta.

The one thing that severely makes me doubt about buying it is that, though it was fun, it will get tiresome pretty fast.
If the beta had only contained like 2,3 or 4 nations, then the full game would bring something new (other than just new maps). But since there's no new nations or anything, I will not buy it.

I think it was new units, new gamemodes and lots of new maps, but im not 100%sure

What he said. Many thinks are reworked in the release candidate and a few new maps have been implemented.
If you can grab it from Amazon.co.uk, then you'll really get a bargain...

only in the first beta you had i think germans and US and in a later patch they added UK
but since the first free weekend i am quite sure you had all nations with the following advantages and drawbacks:

Germany:
Strongest tanks& mechanizes units (stugs/sturmtiger) & fastest research but also most expensive units and production structures. Also has yet fighters and bombers Me262/arado blitz. also strong infantry. So if germany can put up early game pressure with his infantry and maybe stug + panzer III and pressure you into defense he can build up enough force to crush you with ease when his panthers / king tigers / maus etc come into battle. Also one of the best tank hunters with the jagdpanther but since you got the strongest tanks you often dont need it anyways.

Italy:
Strong infantry + light tanks right out of the barracks, weak but very fast tanks and cheap tanks, cheap and very effective stuff out of their prototype base. P26 heavy tank and like an 88 mounted on a truck. Long range arty without research. overall little research needed.
Can rush you and pressure you very fast, flanking maneuvers with his fast and light tanks, if you are then still alive his proto untis will crush you.

France:
Doesnt need much research, can field heavy infantry right of the bat, also heavy AT weapons, good but slow tanks that often feature howitzer + turret so you got tanks+stug in 1 vehicle. Very good bunkers and artillery.
Lacks in good airdefence and worst airforce.
Can turtle very hard and make you attack him by building artillery and pounding you with it. Or can "rush" you with his rather good, strong but slow tanks.

Russia:
The "Zerg",un-upgraded stuff like infantry is weak and upgrades are very expensive, but ones you invested into the upgrades you field the strongest infantry of all and cheap fast to produce T34 tanks. Slow but very heavy bombers right of the bat and with the IL-2 one of the best fighter bombers. Also lots of long range artillery. has cheap buildings and very fast production speed in tanks & infantry.
Simply attacks you with something all game long until he the vast and colossal ball of death crushes you.

UK:
By far strongest and cheapest airforce(except maybe the german me262 fighter),para troopers without research and fighterbombers allow him to occupy key points and harass very early on since his airfields are cheap. decent artillery but weak infantry and tanks until you reach proto with the churchill/avre. but strong anti tank(17pdr/firefly) and lots of ground defence bunkers.

last but not least the jack of all trades
America:
besides an strong anti air and maybe only having armored artillery not really shining or lacking in any department. More or less the "newbie" nation since it can easily adapt to all situations. Also has the M36 jackson TD and sherman calliope which annoy you to death if his armored long range M40 artillery doesnt  have yet. also has bunkers against air, ground, tank.
not really strong in offense but can turtle really easy and pound you with his arty until he decides what he wants to do. My least favorite nation since i cant exploit the advantages in offensive play and i like to play offensive.

as for gamemodes you got your usual 1v1, 2v2,3v3, 2v2v2, 1v1v1, FFA up to 4v4.
you can get some nice twists by playing different time periods, namely '39, '42, '45 which change a lot in the nations strength and what they can produce.
39' germans are really strong early on and '42 the normally not that scary tiger suddenly outranges any tank and anti tank your enemys can field. below '45 you dont have proto so the popular italian rush for proto is denied since prototypes are only for '45 and you have to rely on different matters like your light tanks. also the price of productions buildings changes in the time periods. also the "popular" administrative buildings that are costly (100$) but produce 1$ every 4 seconds, that are the only other rescource income besides supply depots(40$ to build and 250$ in them) and you main HQ(also 1$/4sek) are not available in timeperiods '39 '42. making long turteling kind of in effective since at some point all the money on the map is "harvested".

these time periods change the game play and play-styles quite a bit.

as for maps, you got lots on 1v1 and 2v2 maps, around 4 3v3 and "only" 2 4v4. since i so far mostly played 3v3 or 4v4 with friends i really hope they release some new maps soonish.

as for map design you have wide open and huge ass maps with long attack paths to smaller maps even in 3v3 where the only thing between 2 enemy players is a small river and a city on both sides which makes early pressure very effective and even infantry rushes extremely effective.

again huge wall of text.
few things that are annoying dont concern the gameplay or the gamestyle but the interface in the menus and the match making, last weekend everything was fine and games were full in matter of seconds but yesterday either my allies and my own rather "high" lvl either scared enemys away or they had problems in the match making.
also ladder games are only 1v1 or 2v2 while i havent yet been able to play a 2v2 since the match making in ladder games seems rather bonkers for now.

but eugene seem kind of a competent bunch and i have high hopes that they will fix these issues.
Live Long & Die Happy