Author Topic: The eye of the storm  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
The eye of the storm
« on: 30-03-2009, 02:03:26 »
I thought I'd share with you my frightening experience from today.

Actually, right after I made a post on these forums I got word that there was a bad thunderstorm coming in fast. Two minutes later, it was announced that there is a tornado with an unknown classification coming in fast.

So I immediately got an area ready in the basement. Went back upstairs, looked out the window, and saw an enourmous cell coming right at my development/town.

I was lucky though, because the tornado lifted off the ground right after causing a large amount of destruction to a neighboring town only a mile from me.

Pictures!

Here is the tornado cell lifting off the ground from the town near me.

Hail size comparison:

And here are two pictures I found from other neighboring towns within a few miles from me:

All of the houses in my area need all new siding and about half of them need new windows.

It is very odd to get Tornados like this in Pennsylvania (especially my area).

Azreal, Stylie, you live in PA right? Did you get any odd whether like this today?

Offline GooGeL

• FH-Betatester
  • Shedmaster
    • View Profile
    • WOLFgaming.net
Re: The eye of the storm
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-2009, 02:03:08 »
4/5 of me would like to be there to see it.

azreal

« Reply #2 on: 30-03-2009, 02:03:05 »
ahhh your in Lancaster PA right? Yea we must have gotten hit with the edge of that here b.c we got some hail but not alot.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-03-2009, 03:03:49 »
Ouch, you wouldn't want to be hit by those. Though there are several cases of hail as big as tennisballs, destroying carwindscreens (and well prettymuch denting cars from tip to toe).

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-03-2009, 03:03:36 »
ahhh your in Lancaster PA right? Yea we must have gotten hit with the edge of that here b.c we got some hail but not alot.

Yea, Lancaster County(which is made up by dozens of small counties).

Ouch, you wouldn't want to be hit by those. Though there are several cases of hail as big as tennisballs, destroying carwindscreens (and well prettymuch denting cars from tip to toe).

The odd thing is, car windows didn't really break, nor did the metal dent. I was surprised by this... doesn't really make sense  :o. I guess like you said the hail has to be bigger for that.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-03-2009, 03:03:52 »

The odd thing is, car windows didn't really break, nor did the metal dent. I was surprised by this... doesn't really make sense  :o. I guess like you said the hail has to be bigger for that.
It migth evne have been larger, they showed footage on the news some time ago. A quick google image certainly confirms that tennisball sized hal does ent your car. But regardless, hail the size of tennisballs and hail that dents cars and damages windows is something you do not want to be hitting any human or animal (can you say killer hail?).

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-03-2009, 03:03:36 »

It migth evne have been larger, they showed footage on the news some time ago. A quick google image certainly confirms that tennisball sized hal does ent your car. But regardless, hail the size of tennisballs and hail that dents cars and damages windows is something you do not want to be hitting any human or animal (can you say killer hail?).

Especially when the hail is being thrown around on its way down by tornado force winds.

Offline stylie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-03-2009, 04:03:05 »
Yeah, it got a little crazy there for about 10 minutes. Pretty scary. No hail though, just some ferocious wind. Funny about that. I feel the need to be outside in my driveway or street so I can see anything coming... trees... tornados...
~ A stylie joint.

A forum that does not embrace a stylie is flawed.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-03-2009, 04:03:57 »
Ugh, storms scare the crap out of me, we get at least 2 or 3 tornado warnings here in Minneapolis every severe weather season.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-03-2009, 05:03:40 »
Yea scary storms like that pass by my home in Kansas City from time to time... crazy stuff! When they don't level your house, they're really cool though  ;D

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Zero

• Developer
  • ALL AMERICAN ZERO
    • View Profile
    • Hi-Fi Classic Music
« Reply #10 on: 30-03-2009, 10:03:29 »
cool pics. glad everyone seems to be ok. oddly enough the pic with the barn and storm clouds make me nostalgic for home.

Yea scary storms like that pass by my home in Kansas City from time to time... crazy stuff! When they don't level your house, they're really cool though  ;D
ah KC. i remember so many of those things growing up there, and yeah they are cool  ;D. we used to say "don't worry until it's green." heh. though in reality they seemed to be worse the quicker/stronger it went from warm to cold. all we have out west is "gyrating ground" and drout. freaks you out to no end.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-03-2009, 13:03:01 »

After experiencing a near miss from a tornado, it made me realize that you Kansas people are crazy!  ;D

Offline Kebert Xela

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30-03-2009, 14:03:08 »
wow those hail-things look nasty!

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-03-2009, 14:03:02 »
Great pictures!  :o
Two years or so ago a neighbouring town got hit very badle by a hail storm, too. The hails were as big as golf and some even as tennis balls and they caused lots of damage. Fortunately my village has the habit to avoid most storms. The months after that storm there were many cars with big dents driving on the road, so you exactly knew where their drivers come from.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-03-2009, 15:03:33 »
Wow man..that should be scary!

But you did something wrong.. You dindt get food and water into the basement :P... not really.