Author Topic: Commander birds eye view via scout plane  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
Re: Commander birds eye view via scout plane
« Reply #15 on: 10-08-2010, 00:08:23 »
Stop posting the same message over and over again.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline GreekRockNRolla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10-08-2010, 01:08:26 »
Stop posting the same message over and over again.
sorry but for some reason the reply didnt appear posted so i was trying again and again

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-08-2010, 02:08:42 »
Remember how djinny (it was him right?) made like 50 times the same post due to lag on the old forum?

azreal

« Reply #18 on: 10-08-2010, 07:08:59 »
PR has something like this. Basically, you click the UAV button, and an AI-controlled Predator flies a pre-determined path. The commander can then look through it's camera using regular and IR vision modes, and spot/mark targets.

Unfortunately though, UAVs of today can stream their images back to their commanders. Piper Cubs and Fi-156s of WWII didn't have this ability. Only radio communication...so it brings up a trade off. Do we keep the commander role more traditional and realistic; or versatile, fun, and slightly more arcadish?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10-08-2010, 09:08:48 »
Remember how djinny (it was him right?) made like 50 times the same post due to lag on the old forum?

Yer, that was me... Internet has improved over the last few years. Then, it was touch and go whether or not the damn post went through or not

@Azreal
I want commando controlled UA...Pred... umm... Piper cub and Storch. No commander birdeye view but the same 'radar' spots... I want the commander to have more use to make up for sitting on his ass

He should feel like a real tactician, and not some lame support caste

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12-08-2010, 14:08:38 »
never mind the bollocks, just go for it
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline flamedexter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13-08-2010, 07:08:03 »
hmm, ok. i tried to come up with another idea and edited the post based on what people said. do read it and see it is possible and reasonable.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13-08-2010, 15:08:50 »
I understand the idea and I think there are good things in it, but I have a question. You say:

and the scout planes radar range will increase temporary( maybe it will cover 8 or more square in the map for 2 sec depending where the scout plane is)

Why does the range depend on where the plane is? The range should alway be the same, imo. The plane itself should make sure it is somewhere in the middle of the map to avoid grid outside the map being scanned (which is useless).

Also, the reload does not have to be THAT long, imo. Not a lot longer than artillery. The commander should be able to call on his scoutplane a few times during a round, not make it a single opportunity. It is already hard enough to get this view: someone has to man the scoutplane, someone has to be a commander, the scoutplane must position itself well enough in order to scan as many grids as possible, and the commander must hurry to point out all enemies to the SLs. That is nerfing enough.

About the range of the scan: you say 8 grids, but on some maps that will mean half the map or more than that. Whereas scoutplanes in WWII of course only could see as far as their cameras. Maybe make it two grids on all sides of the plane? Or is that what you meant?

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13-08-2010, 15:08:40 »
Anything that makes the commander more usefull has my approval. ATM it is far too boring to play commander and this position has some unused potential in it.

Offline flamedexter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16-08-2010, 11:08:27 »
Hi Slayer,

About the charge time, the reason that it will take long time for it to charge is so it can stimulate the Scout plane return to base. Like i said the SCAN is like a scout taking a photograph of the large area of the battlefield. But he still must return to to base safely. It is not always so that the scou pilot would be obedient and return to base on and off. So to make it look like his coming back to base, i suggested that the charge time would be longer.( because it takes time for the scout to land, give the map,and fly again for its next sortie.
 Also abut the extra range, i really don't know how to explain this but the extra range comes from the Scout plane. You know the radar thing that detects ground and air troops. Well i am saying that when i CLick "SCAN" the radar  thing will expand. The enemies that are detected in SCAN only show them their position but won't constantly track their movements unlike the radar UAV thing from the scout plane itself. So when the enemy is scanned, they will show in the map as static icons.
about the 8 grids, i mentioned that it is for only an example. The devs can do whatever they want for the range.
And i dont want it to scan the whole map, in fact i would like it not to scan the
enemy main base(headquarters). We don't want it to be like vanilla bf2 where its like we just made radar hack minimap legit... its just to keep things balanced and keep the ww2 style of it. We don't want Ambush being foiled by a single recon plane that is not even flying above you and miles(ingame) away. =)
« Last Edit: 16-08-2010, 11:08:11 by flamedexter »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16-08-2010, 14:08:34 »
OK, I understand, but I still think that if the reload time is long(er than arty) then this feature will not be so very useful for the commander, as he will only be able to do it twice during a round. It is nice that you want to represent the scoutplane landing and all, but gameplaywise it would be a bit meager.

Offline flamedexter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17-08-2010, 08:08:53 »
I see your point. Well i guess the devs can make it shorter depending on whatever they come up with.
The whole point of this suggestion is to make commander have an actual role in the battlefield. More feature for commander is a one step closer for a TEAMWORK Coordination. Teamwork = Fun whatever the outcome of the battle is.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17-08-2010, 15:08:23 »
I see your point. Well i guess the devs can make it shorter depending on whatever they come up with.
The whole point of this suggestion is to make commander have an actual role in the battlefield. More feature for commander is a one step closer for a TEAMWORK Coordination. Teamwork = Fun whatever the outcome of the battle is.
100% agree and I support your suggestion, albeit a bit modified ;)

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 09-04-2016, 18:04:03 »
Was going to post a anew about this but found this thread. Even if not implemented I find the possibilities of fitting it into game play interesting. The spy plane taking photo's seems the best idea. The aim could be to take a few photo's and then having to land at the nearest friendly CP, or maybe it might even have to be the main base. Then the commander gets access to either still photo's or a spot on the map to view that simulates a photo somehow. If this can be implemented in Python I don't know, but the whole idea intrigues me.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09-04-2016, 19:04:53 »
The problem is that the commander and everyone who has played the map before already know where all the fixed assets are.  The only useful information is where all the people and vehicles are moving to.  That info is only good if it is in real time.  Planes did have radios.  I suppose you could make it like PR where only the commander sees the the scout plane radar and he then marks the positions on the mini-map.