Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 179675 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #450 on: 31-01-2010, 21:01:54 »
I don't know, Fuchs. I have always loved the Coen Brothers work. From Blood Simple to No country for old men to Big Lebowski to Hudsucker Proxy.

But I don't know about Burn after reading, never really liked it. Brad Pitt had some moments and John Malkovich had as well some good stuff but other then that... No :_(

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #451 on: 31-01-2010, 22:01:06 »
It's very different from their usual work. Matter of taste I think, I personally loved it. Only 'aw, shame' moment was when Clooney shot Pitt. I just started to like his moron-role.  :P
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: 31-01-2010, 23:01:18 »

...Blah Blah Blah Ted sayin stuff...

2/10

DANCES WITH SMURFS

So if you though it was incredibly meh, neither extremely good nor extremely bad, why 2/10? I would have thought 5/10 would be more appropriate for a mediocre film.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #453 on: 04-02-2010, 12:02:35 »

2/10

DANCES WITH SMURFS

So if you though it was incredibly meh, neither extremely good nor extremely bad, why 2/10? I would have thought 5/10 would be more appropriate for a mediocre film.

Got to see it last night, I don't get why there's such a "meh" internet sensation about this film, almost like it's cool to just say "meh" and carry on.  Why is it "meh".

I thought the storyline was American History regurgitated, yes, weak - predictable storyline, right down to the point where I even recognised that a fuck scene was coming up 5 mins before it happened because of the typical melodramatic music score.

But "meh"... Avatar is worth a million more points than "meh".  I think what you might be missing here is the underlying social message.  Avatar teaches children/ teenagers far more about human nature and the need to "go-green" than any political message or money-centric Hollywood actor crying crocodile tears asking for your help could ever hope to achieve.  Imagine yourself as a young impressionable kid once again, not some emotionally dumbed internet stalker, - taking the message on board that humans are by nature greedy, warmongering vengeful sons of bitches, is the one thing that I would want my child to get stuck in it's head. It's time to change all that, put down our guns and start with the peace.

After I watched Avatar I was not just fucking blown away by how visually amazing this film is, and if you disagree with that, what films have you been watching? Because clearly I am behind the time with my films... The CGI is not 100% perfect no, but it's just way out there, it's raised the bar for other CGI heavy films.

I give it a sweet 9/10  if you watched it without the 3D glasses you pissed money down the drain, it has to be seen in 3D to make the most of it.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: 04-02-2010, 13:02:07 »
CGI version of Pocahontas
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #455 on: 04-02-2010, 13:02:06 »

With such a political forum signature, a little more than quoting another thread title as a response would be nice.  I'm not sticking up of Avatar no, no, no... I'm trying to fight against internet ignorance, even though rules of the internet state "your carefully written and reasonable argument haz been ignored for the lulz" - you should be able to come up with something more than "meh" or "Pocahontas redux" even for the lulz...

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: 04-02-2010, 13:02:28 »
But it's so "cool" to diss successful films!

And by Pocahontas, do you mean the 1995 Disney film? I don't really remember that film, but if it's so like Avatar, I bet it's a Disney version* of 'Dances with wolves' since that's the film I find to be most like Avatar...

*Disney's Pocahontas is only vaguely based on the real story of Matoaka anyway :p
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: 04-02-2010, 14:02:05 »
The story line resembles Pocohantas yes....but who gives a fuck? It's not really about original story. The movie has mind blowing effects and takes film making to a new level. That's what James Cameron does.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: 04-02-2010, 14:02:03 »

With such a political forum signature, a little more than quoting another thread title as a response would be nice.  I'm not sticking up of Avatar no, no, no... I'm trying to fight against internet ignorance, even though rules of the internet state "your carefully written and reasonable argument haz been ignored for the lulz" - you should be able to come up with something more than "meh" or "Pocahontas redux" even for the lulz...

^ What he said.

Plus, why the hell trying so hard to be unique by deliberately making counter-paradigm silly opinions?

Let's say, if i say "WW2 America suxx ass..." then I become internet culture phenomenon. So, having an opinion like "Tiger Tank suxx ass" works in German-biased FH2 community.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #459 on: 04-02-2010, 16:02:56 »
The story line resembles Pocohantas yes....but who gives a fuck? It's not really about original story. The movie has mind blowing effects and takes film making to a new level. That's what James Cameron does.
Thing is that Cameron sort of believes he made those stories up while it's obviously not made up by him. If his stories where original and he wasn't such an douche I would like his work.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: 04-02-2010, 16:02:18 »
I expected the worst, but was actually quite contempt watching the entire movie. The effects made me watch it and I got loads of them. The story was a bit what I had expected, but the message (even if it was given quite bluntly) came across well.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: 04-02-2010, 16:02:09 »

2/10

DANCES WITH SMURFS

I could tell it was a "good" film. But not for me, I found it boring and stereotypical.
The hype played in with my grading of it.

2/10

DANCES WITH SMURFS

Got to see it last night, I don't get why there's such a "meh" internet sensation about this film, almost like it's cool to just say "meh" and carry on.  Why is it "meh".

I thought the storyline was American History regurgitated, yes, weak - predictable storyline, right down to the point where I even recognised that a fuck scene was coming up 5 mins before it happened because of the typical melodramatic music score.

But "meh"... Avatar is worth a million more points than "meh".  I think what you might be missing here is the underlying social message.  Avatar teaches children/ teenagers far more about human nature and the need to "go-green" than any political message or money-centric Hollywood actor crying crocodile tears asking for your help could ever hope to achieve.  Imagine yourself as a young impressionable kid once again, not some emotionally dumbed internet stalker, - taking the message on board that humans are by nature greedy, warmongering vengeful sons of bitches, is the one thing that I would want my child to get stuck in it's head. It's time to change all that, put down our guns and start with the peace.

After I watched Avatar I was not just fucking blown away by how visually amazing this film is, and if you disagree with that, what films have you been watching? Because clearly I am behind the time with my films... The CGI is not 100% perfect no, but it's just way out there, it's raised the bar for other CGI heavy films.

I give it a sweet 9/10  if you watched it without the 3D glasses you pissed money down the drain, it has to be seen in 3D to make the most of it.
I learnt that when I was young, that humans are greedy, some movies had a part in it. It's a view on the world I stand by to this day, and I will never digress from it. Humans are greedy, I have no hope in mankind. This does play in with my following points. People think they are better, but they are not - hypocricy.

It kinda bugs me that it takes something like this for people to realize "the nature is valuable!". People, right after having seen avatar, act like "Oh we gotta take care of the earth! avatar really opened my eyes!". Trust me, there's so many people acting like that. I have no respect for anyone who needs an animated multi-billion-dollar movie to tell them that (hypocracy right there). I saw enough of this when Al Gore released "An inconvenient truth". Several people in my class had Al Gore as their new idol, acting as if he was jesus. And all of a sudden they were SO enviromentally aware "I use low-energy lightbulbs, I turn of the water when shampooing", oh yeah? what about that 500 $ gucci purse you just bought? or all those clothes you buy every weekend?
God damn hypocrites.

This is what angers me about it.

Back to the actual movie.

I know everyone says "it's not about the story!". No I realize that too, but at least give us SOME surprises. I found it really boring since never was in any say surprised. The visual effects was the only thing that kept me from not walking out from the theatre. And for all that hype, I did not even find the speical effects THAT amazing.

I suggest you watch this review in 2 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzKwTcGO_0&feature=channel

Just ignore the narrator's voice etc. and focus on the points he's making. I gotta agree on pretty much every single point he makes about the movie.

I simply do not get caught by action, fantasy-worlds and special effects, I need SOME story to keep me entertained.

Also, the when the robot in the end took out a big knife, I laughed. Seriously, wtf is this...

To quote the youtube-reviewer I mentioned, this is what I thought of the movie:

"well I didn't hate it. it had really impressive visual effects, neat techology and weapons and some good performances. It had its cool moments early on but towards the end it started to get like stupid. I don't think i've rolled my eyes that much."

"I just had a hard time getting past how manipulative and simple the story was"

The irony about avatar:
For all the money and time spent on making this movie in 3D, the story and the characters were still stuck in 1 Dimension."
Edit:
also, I really found the whole "blue people" thing (smurfs) simply silly...
« Last Edit: 04-02-2010, 17:02:14 by Tedacious »
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: 04-02-2010, 17:02:27 »

It kinda bugs me that it takes something like this for people to realize "the nature is valuable!". People, right after having seen avatar, act like "Oh we gotta take care of the earth! avatar really opened my eyes!". Trust me, there's so many people acting like that. I have no respect for anyone who needs an animated multi-billion-dollar movie to tell them that (hypocracy right there). I saw enough of this when Al Gore released "An inconvenient truth". Several people in my class had Al Gore as their new idol, acting as if he was jesus. And all of a sudden they were SO enviromentally aware "I use low-energy lightbulbs, I turn of the water when shampooing", oh yeah? what about that 500 $ gucci purse you just bought? or all those clothes you buy every weekend?
God damn hypocrites.

This is what angers me about it.

That is so typical FH guys opinion. I am so expecting it from you. The same reason why we hate Call of Duty: Modern Warfares (because it introduces modern equipment to silly gamers, "oh i didn't know our military is using this sophisticated thing?"), Saving Private Ryan (introducing mainstreamers to WW2 awesomeness, "goodness! WW2 is full of epic-ness."), and many more.

We carefully select what we likes from the popular culture... like "Band of Brothers" series and "Red Orchestra" mod. It is just soo typical FH boys. I am one of them, so i agree with you. I hate U2 (although some of their musics are good), just because of the fanbase.

I suggest you watch this review in 2 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzKwTcGO_0&feature=channel

Just ignore the narrator's voice etc. and focus on the points he's making. I gotta agree on pretty much every single point he makes about the movie.

I simply do not get caught by action, fantasy-worlds and special effects, I need SOME story to keep me entertained.

By that standard, any movie would suck. Seriously, what movie you just can't ruin? When i get out from '2012' and 'Transformers' theatre, i was thrilled... but it easily wears off when you open the internet and start reading mockery videos, bad comments from die-hard old timer fans of Transformers who thinks he knows better and just hate newbies basically. Like American Idol and other high-pressure talent shows, just give those suckers a chance to show their stuff. I bet most of them can't even do any better. At that time, perhaps only me would wonder why the hell with the so much negativity.

I for sure, will try to sound as honest as possible, even though it will sound either gay or sissy. I simply have no drive to be unique or anti-mainstreamers.

I think you just hate the degree of its success and acceptance by worldwide audience.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #463 on: 04-02-2010, 18:02:25 »
God damn hypocrites.

Quite right, it's infuriating, it makes me angry that you have to hide a message thinly in a plot line for the stupidity of mankind to sit up and say "OMG, I totally get it now! I must recycle and shit!"  It's insulting.
But I do find any way that we can shake the belief into people to stop chopping down, churning up, raping the land in excess a useful message, however juvenile it is put across.
I just personally don't think that politicians are believable characters when telling us to go-green, at least not in the UK, on one hand they say "do your bit, recycle" on the other hand they spend taxpayers money on private helicopters house renovations, antique bookcases with a look of "pwnt" on their faces.

also, I really found the whole "blue people" thing (smurfs) simply silly...

Man just tell me, you embraced for one second what it might be like to fuck a 12ft tall smurfette?  I must rid myself of this sin, but I need to know I am not alone.

Well this turned out to be a nice debate, and I don't want to drag people over coals, we're all friends here, appreciate you guys taking the time to respond even if we don't see eye to eye.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #464 on: 04-02-2010, 18:02:32 »
Man just tell me, you embraced for one second what it might be like to fuck a 12ft tall smurfette?  I must rid myself of this sin, but I need to know I am not alone.
Imagining not necessary, this is the internet.  Rule 34 applies, just get out there and find it.