Author Topic: operation goodwood  (Read 14161 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: operation goodwood
« Reply #60 on: 27-12-2009, 17:12:32 »
That bug appears on every map randomly. Dunno what triggers it.

I saw it in all maps, but not always. But the most prominent is in sequenced push map like Fall of Tobruk, because such bug will make the game unbalanced.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 27-12-2009, 19:12:28 »
I really hope WinterHilf would figure it out - I totally hate capping a flag, having it double-cap and having to spawn as the enemy to recap to solve its problem...

I just want to play

I don't see this issue in any other mod - Same goes for bots never responding to 'need a pickup'... I think we need some reference to the other mods cuz these are game-spoilers... especially the former

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 24-01-2010, 09:01:46 »
I found another reason for German bots taking their time to cross the bridge. They climb the overpass easily enough, but are not aware they can drive right through the fences behind the rail so they tend to bunch up there slowly trying to manouever one at a time through the narrow gap between it and the overpass (Ths can be found right outside their axis-only zone)

Alternatively, they must go all the way around the base closest to their uncap base before they can have a chance to cross the rails.

What I can't still explain though is why they can be within range of an allied tank and either shoot wildly, compared to say, the Cromwell, which is dead accurate due to its high speed and fast turret turn, making its aim on point, OR they do't fire at all. A perfect example is the Tiger, which has a very slow turret turn such that eaxh time it rotates its entire hull to aim at the enemy, its attempt to put the bead on target with its turret actually results in it going off aim.

Also, I had a depressing game where axis tanks will move close to the rail, sometimes crossing it (To draw attention of allied tanks), eithe get killed or retreat back across the bridge, showing their nice tank butts to the allies. I once had 3 good tanks with their backs to the allied advance, daring them to shoot - And shoot they did, and die we did - I even got a cromwell blow up a Tiger because of this sheer stupidty

Offline Medavelvan

• iMagiNation is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 18-02-2010, 00:02:41 »
This is my favorite FH2 map - funny thing considering I've never been able to play a complete game without a ctd! It is a very well designed map (notwithstanding the ctd bugs) - it is very atmospheric and I've had some of the most memorable gunbattles on this map.

I've been able to weed out one of the known ctd causes, the LeMesnilFrementel_sherman and have been able to play up to 20 minutes or so - but I've not been able to narrow down exactly what is causing the crash presently. I prefer leaving the original files as intact as possible and ONLY removing the portions of coding known for SURE to cause problems in 2.2

My internet is currently not suitable for online play or downloading large files - but next week I'll be able to dl the newest update at a friend's house. Perhaps I should hold off doing any in-depth changes to this level until I get the new FH2 version and save myself from having to re-do the work later. There are many other great maps to play until then.
Explore all the worlds beyond the Sea of Dreams.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18-02-2010, 11:02:59 »
...I prefer leaving the original files as intact as possible and ONLY removing the portions of coding known for SURE to cause problems in 2.2...
Just make a backup of your server.zip before you change anything. That way you can chop 'n change it to your heart's content and if you make a mistake you have the original to fall back on... ;)

Offline Medavelvan

• iMagiNation is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 18-02-2010, 16:02:25 »
...I prefer leaving the original files as intact as possible and ONLY removing the portions of coding known for SURE to cause problems in 2.2...
Just make a backup of your server.zip before you change anything. That way you can chop 'n change it to your heart's content and if you make a mistake you have the original to fall back on... ;)

It's not that - I always back up files before I change them; I just believe in keeping the original file as intact as possible as the mod maker intended.
Explore all the worlds beyond the Sea of Dreams.

Offline matthewfarenheit

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 19-02-2010, 02:02:17 »
I dunno if this helps, but I know as a fact that this map crashes as soon as you destroy any of the static PAK40s (or when the bots do). Killing the bots that man them without destroying the guns doesn't CTD though.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 20-02-2010, 10:02:31 »
I dunno if this helps, but I know as a fact that this map crashes as soon as you destroy any of the static PAK40s (or when the bots do). Killing the bots that man them without destroying the guns doesn't CTD though.
Are you using Drawde's AI mini-mod?

I am, and destroying the static Pak at the railway crossing doesn't cause a CTD for me.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 20-02-2010, 10:02:55 »
Im certain its more than one thing

If ai for the pak40 and 38 are the same then thats not it. Im sure the panther with top mg is part to blame but only just, cus Luttich only rarely ctds. Maybe its the pz4. Heck, maybe the tigers. But its certainly vehicular.

I suggest removing all vehicles and testing the map, one vehicle at a time. And I don't mean incrementally

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 20-02-2010, 18:02:29 »
I really believe it is a building for Western European-setting that hasn't been properly collision-meshed for AI.
That building has an open top and exposed third floor.

My other suspicion is the Nebelwerfer.

Have to see a complete SP version of Falaise and Lebisey first... but people say when going to Cagny, they experience lag. Maybe that might cause crash when added with extra load of bots fighting around the city.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21-02-2010, 04:02:30 »
You might be onto something there Zoo. That would explain why the CTD is so random...maybe the bots are taking a shortcut through the ground floor and causing a CTD as soon as they step through the door/off the mesh... :-\

The lag I get at Cagny isn't that bad...maybe a drop of about 10-20 FPS depending on how many bots are around.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21-02-2010, 07:02:43 »
I am not 100% sure cf. Since that same building also present in almost stable Luettich.

Surely, the cause of the crash in Goodwood is pretty difficult to determine. Right now, PHL also crashes in my computer. I suspect the Nebelwerfers.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 07-03-2010, 20:03:16 »
There seems to be more than one issue in Goodwood. Now I got the Germans to cap the town of Cagney and use both 88 and PAK40 to defend it so that no one came through the town itself causing what we THINK is the CTD... well, the game played for some 30 minutes more.

Tiger II tank, panthers and StuG came into town held the distant Marder I base, allowed us to retake the fist base closest to the Brits, got destroyed.... But then after all seemed perfect and there was absolutely no reason for a CTD, it did.

A few of the germans were back at the tank base. The Tiger II was occupied from what I could see on the minimap but did not leave the main German base, so I suppose a bot had gotten on the hull mg and was just sitting there.

basically, the axis had the allies fighting from behind the German-out of bounds area... And THEN I get a CTD... I didn't see anyone doing anything unusual so I really have no clue why this is.

EDIT (a day or 2 later):
Well, we can narrow Goodwood's CTD issue down to between the Prieure (Closest to Allied lines), Le Mesnil Frementel (Mader I base) and Cagney West

I jusat CTDed out of a game where the allies or axis, for that matter, hadn't even gotten to Cagney East and Cangey west was still being fought over i.e. no flag there yet, so no spawned vehicle. Allies had freshly capped Le Mesnil and had already capped Prieure - So let's see if we can narrow it down further. If it was Cagney West, then it had be from the North since no attacking German passes through the southern gaps when entering the town.

Try simulating a game which perhaps focuses on capping just Le Mentil (Perhaps try with just one squad versus one other squad). Once we rule this out, we can comfortably head eastward and see...

Ofourse, it should be noted that it might not be a cap point at all -
« Last Edit: 09-03-2010, 07:03:17 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 11-03-2010, 11:03:22 »
Yes, it's clearly from West Cagney. I tried... and failed to cap Cagnet before the Krauts could - But then the few that got to the town were killed by panzerfaust infantry trying to take the flags - And the tanks that dared to form a perimeter infront of the town were obliterated by PzIVs, Panthers and the Mother Kitty herself - Le Ruer Tiger.

We didn't even get our flag up, which may hint at the fact that if the CTD is vehicular, its probably from the Universal Carrier or something that spawns in Cagney West for the Brits. Gerry for his part, capped both flags and occupied all the emplaced guns, even those facing away from the British lines. Every time I was sure no Brit infantry was anywhere close to the town, I changed to Germans to see where they passed. A few maneuvered through back-roads, past the flag and to the 88 guns, but no CTD...

Once the PAK guns defending the rail crossing were taken by Gerry, I lost hope in trying to get across and with both 88s in use, and being re-occupied once the Brits took their users out with HE, Cagney was also lost.

The game went on for something like 30 - 45minutes with no CTD, but no way of breaking through either. This must be one of the few maps that the Germans actually get it easier than than allies.

A perfect map for me to show my leadership prowess by strategising and leading the attack - But with the CTD in Cagney West (If indeed that's where it is, and I'm almost 100% sure it is), there is little chance of even daring to see what gameplay will be like across the rails.

I really wish we would find this CTD and solve it - Luttich's issue is probably a bot-issue with vehicles from Drawde's patch, and will easily be fixed if the vehicle was discovered, but Goodwood needs our combined attention.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 12-03-2010, 07:03:42 »
Gotcha...I'll try hanging around Cagney.

BTW djinn, have you seen this?: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=2066.0

I only noticed it the other day and I still haven't played a whole round (ticket count is huge), but it's pretty good.