Author Topic: 128 player test - no lag!  (Read 31587 times)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: 96 Player Server Test today
« Reply #180 on: 28-07-2012, 21:07:09 »
Bastogne was just great today. It was great to see actualy lines of infantry in the woods, defending against hordes of germans coming at us  ;D

Offline DocHawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 28-07-2012, 21:07:52 »
The map sizes haven't changed so I don't know what "artificially small maps" means. Most players, even if they were in squads, are not going to be doing the same thing you're doing or your squad. Because it's fundamental to the mechanics that their is no real way to organize people to fight "in the same direction". Commander is basically a powerless role. He just gets different colored text letters. Providing incentives for people to actually do what he wants would be nice (because coercion by force in a game is just ridiculous). Perhaps things like spawning specific kits and vehicles for squads and providing the commander with more abilities than "drop ammo crate" and "orbital strike".

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 28-07-2012, 21:07:04 »
Well, you are the first person I've seen who is against 64+ player servers... ::)
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 28-07-2012, 21:07:26 »
It has nothing to do with commander, everybody knows commander function sucks. But squad play works because it's the only way to get a spawn point up close, so people usually do it. And with artificially small I mean that FH2 maps are big, so to get concentrated action you would have to either make them smaller (causing people to whine about COD and BF3) or you use double the amount of players.

Offline Yoghurt

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 28-07-2012, 21:07:43 »
It was unplaybly laggy for me.

Offline DocHawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 28-07-2012, 21:07:32 »
Well, you are the first person I've seen who is against 64+ player servers... ::)

Sorry I have a different opinion, geez.

I just feel the idea is a largely pointless waste of development and a drain on servers that aren't the 128 player servers. It's got less to do with the engine and more to do with the mechanics of the gameplay. If the differences of a 128 people on a server vs. 64 people can only really be felt by looking at a player list or people gushing on a chat, then what's the point?

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 28-07-2012, 21:07:24 »

Sorry I have a different opinion, geez.

I just feel the idea is a largely pointless waste of development and a drain on servers that aren't the 128 player servers. It's got less to do with the engine and more to do with the mechanics of the gameplay. If the differences of a 128 people on a server vs. 64 people can only really be felt by looking at a player list or people gushing on a chat, then what's the point?
Of course you are allowed to have different opinions, but saying that you can't see the difference between 64 and 128 player server is just a load of old arse.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 28-07-2012, 22:07:31 »
Yea, I recommend to try it for yourself. Or if you have already, play a bit more of it. It  really differs a lot. I don't see why you argue that there is no difference. Played Hurtgen Forest today and it was very intense when everyone charged towars Germeter in the end. You hide in a crater with 10 other people waiting for the smoke grenade to be thrown and charge further, just an awesome atmosphere. Feels a lot more awesome to me than with 64.

What bothered me today was that people couldnt deal with it being a test, crying about the lags and there was overall tons of shittalk and hate among the players. That's indeed a downside with so many people, but the positive things outweigh those things.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 28-07-2012, 23:07:50 »
Hi DocHawkeye, have you tried 128 yet? I'll try and explain why I like it. It will be only my personal opinion, but maybe it will help you anyway. Here goes:
- battles become even larger, it looks epic!
- trucks are actually used the way they are meant to be used. Instead of seeing 5 trucks at the entrance of Gabes (becauee htey were all driven by one person each), you see full trucks transporting soldiers to the battlefield
- tanks can actually pull up to the front with full infantry support: a Sherman surrounded by some 5-10 infantry guys, walking with it, repairing it and fending off AT infantry vs a lone Sherman being blown up as soon as it reaches the frointline, without a chance because it didn't get any support.
- Artillery barrages with loads of victims, just like irl, instead of huge ass HE explosions with one meager kill

Developing time isn't wasted, as the guy working on this code is not a dev. When it is finished, all servers can have it, so servers won't be wasted or anything.

Offline Kuupperi

• Professional spoilsport
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 28-07-2012, 23:07:06 »
I gave a try for the server tonight and the experience has been good. Playing with over 100 players really brought more action and a new side to the mod. The lag that seemed to show up occasionally for everyone wasn't mostly that bad (but those big lag waves). Most of the time the server was running very smoothly but there used to be some little lag spikes here and there that shows up in the movements of the other players. I know it is just a test version and hopefully the final version will be even better.

Looking forward to see an improved version that takes Forgotten hope 2 experience to the whole new level.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 29-07-2012, 00:07:32 »
Mount Olympus crashes on load. I guess that explains the suddenly empty server.

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 29-07-2012, 00:07:50 »
I think DocHawkeye was referring to the fact that maps were designed and tested for 64 player (32v. 32), not 128 players (64 v. 64).
Some maps will benefit others won't, and would required to go back and make changes.
Which won't happen, and I doubt the devs would go for 128.(I can't remember who it mentioned it.)

Note; I stopped playing right before European Campaign hit.
But do not get me wrong, I am very fucking excited about this turn of events.

Now all I need is enough sinmoles to upgrade my rig for this.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 29-07-2012, 00:07:03 »
Why shouldn't it happen? After all, the devs are running the 128 server on their own internal machine. I'm pretty sure Natty will cook up some 128 layers if all goes well.

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 29-07-2012, 00:07:31 »
mt olymp dont crash for me

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 29-07-2012, 00:07:49 »
Mount Olympus crashes on load. I guess that explains the suddenly empty server.
It crashed for me too twice after loading the map. And the server console showed no one connected, only people connecting, so we took it out of the rotation for now and restarted the server..

Also to clarify: 
this is not a performance test, but a proof of concept and stability test.
The server is used for a lot of other things too and not optimized in any way to host a game server. Considering this, it runs very well well and stable so far.

I´m sure there will be a performance test on a faster dedicated server soon, with a proper announcement via our official channels some days earlier.
So don´t judge the performance until then.
« Last Edit: 29-07-2012, 01:07:16 by Mayhemic.MAD »
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---