Author Topic: Gazala 64  (Read 21816 times)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
Gazala 64
« on: 29-03-2009, 11:03:26 »
"If you have a suggestions or want to give us some Feedback about this Map you can Post it here!"

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
Re: Gazala 64
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2009, 14:04:03 »
Is there anyway to add Bir Hackeim back into the 64 player version?  Why was is removed in the first place?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-04-2009, 14:04:50 »
Bir Hakeim was removed because it was too isolated from rest of the map. While 105th Box and Knightsbridge are fairly close to one another, and the attack routes from Sidi Muftah all the way to the other flags located on north side of the map, Bir Hakeim stands all by itself in the middle of nowhere. Devs noticed during public play that the place is not used at all and whoever attacked or defended it found themselfs either unopposed in their actions or the people would plain leave the position because there was never any action going on.

I doubt it will be introduced back into 64p version, but I hope we will see it as its own map sometime, either from devs or from very qualified public mappers.

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 11-04-2009, 16:04:54 »
Bir Hakeim was a great flag to attack and defend. 8)
But, it could get very lonley there just waiting and listening to the wind howling!  :(
The map does play better without it, lots more action with the reduced flag numbers.  :)
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-04-2009, 16:04:30 »
Some french guys are making a Bir hacheim map atm

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #5 on: 13-04-2009, 11:04:18 »
Aw, I thought Bir Hakkeim could offer some really nice fights from time to time

Anyhow, the area around where the flag was is a good spot to take a breather while being pilot and to gain some altitude

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #6 on: 19-04-2009, 18:04:51 »
I was always fighting at Bir Hacheim. I still pity it, don't like Gazala that much anymore. Wasn't my favourite at the beginning.
Still, playing with pick up AT kit on 150th box is awesome.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-04-2009, 19:04:12 »
I hate big open tank maps. That being said, Gazala is the most awesome big open tank map and I love to play it.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-04-2009, 19:04:33 »
Gazala has always been, and will most likely stay as one of my favorite maps in FH2 so far. I am a big buff for the tanks, and this map is ideal for it. Not only is it absolutely beautiful and doesnt leave infantry and flyboys into cold and dark, its tank combat is phenomenal! As an Axis player () I always love to grab the good Panzer 3 or the more bizarre and puny Carro Armato, because nothing feels as good as destroying grants and those pesky Stuarts with your Italian deathmachine. This map truely captures the desert warfare at its best. Definately my pick for a Top FH2 maps list.  8)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #9 on: 19-04-2009, 19:04:53 »
I agree, it is an excellent tank maps, one of the finest out there. Reason then is, is that I don't like tanking  :P
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #10 on: 19-04-2009, 19:04:35 »
I have to agree with everything Flippy said.  This map just works.  I would rate this as the best map in the mod for tank combat, and up near the top for dogfigting.  Its allways fun to snipe AT guns at the view distance with my trusty Carro, or sneak round in a crusader.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-05-2009, 14:05:39 »
I agree, Gazala is among the best tank maps. And the removal of Bir Hacheim did make the fights more intensive since you no longer have a "sideshow" in the south.

One thing I've noticed is that once the Axis take the 150th Box, the Allies often sneak an arty spotter into the hills south of it. Result: constant shelling from 25 pdrs and mortars, especially on top of the Bofors and the 2pdr. (Of course, this is just a case of bad tactics and ignorance of the text messages Tommy spotter s of 150th, take him out please.)

But this is more than balanced by the epic tank ambushes that take place on the very same hills (incidentally reducing the survivability of spotters there). Axis tanks position themselves to flank Allied units coming to support/recap 150th along the valley, then Allied units try to outflank them by coming straight over the hills instead, then Axis units start watching the eastern approaches, forcing the Allied to circle further south... and all the time, a tank could appear anywhere from behind the hills, and you start seeing every rock as the 37mm turret of a Grant. ;D

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16-06-2009, 15:06:09 »
I miss Bir Hackem...

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-06-2009, 20:06:44 »
I miss Bir Hackem...

Play the 16 player version.  I think it's the first map on WOLF's rotation.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-09-2009, 23:09:57 »
AI in this map
  Although unnoficial, I'm sure the current code will be the basis for any official SP support so... probably the best tank map has all tanks moving in @ least in threes and fours. Lacks air cover though, and infantry play a small role, even within the defenses.... Its real issues are bot use of vehicles, not pathmapping or tactics

Basically:
Hurricane AT should do its work in tank busting and use mgs on infantry where possible
Allies should be airborne @ all times, same goes for axis, but a bit less of a concern since they do use their planes
Bots don't like Tiger... wierd - I think Tiger's values are reduced so it should'nt be such an inbalance to have it running amok
bots need to spawn more @ the defenses... the open base is an easy cap, the boxes however need to be kill zones... bots spawning and defending with AA, AT and small arms
Bots need to use AT against tanks more
Longer range for mg tank fire and PZ cannon fire... Its an open map, it needs this (General tank use improved)
Bots need to realise that once they get to a destination and can't go further, as is get their tanks to the boxes and can't cross the minefields, there should be a 50-50 chance that they leave their tanks and move in OR more infantry with trucks and cars moving in along the tanks...
Small pathmapping issue, German bots need to move to the eastern box over the road, NOT through the craggy hills, getting stuck...

General AI changes
Stuka should, if possible fly high, nose down and recover from the dive once its dropped its bombs... goes without saying, it needs to dive OVER its target and not once it sees its tagets as currently is. I think the Stuka bots could teach players a thing or two about dive bombing if they got it right :-)

PZII should fire from greater range to compensate for its weak gun

Tank hull mgs and non-HE tanks should fire their co-axel mgs @ longer range

Better AT use

As always
Bots don't use 25Pdr, LeFH or mortars