Author Topic: FH2: All New 2.5 Maps [SP/COOP] DOWNLOAD [Patched for v2.54]  (Read 58007 times)

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
[NOTE: This has been patched to work with version 2.54 of Forgotten Hope 2. It should work fine for the most part, but it is only a quick fix without a lot of testing.]

FH2: 2.5 COOP Map Pack

Gentlemen,

it took me about two weeks since the release of FH2 2.5 and the great Eastern Front expansion, but now it is done, I am pleased to announce that all 5 new Maps have successfully been navmeshed and may be played in Co-Op against Bots.

THAT INCLUDES:

ARAD
16: Skirmish over the village
32: Headon Conquest Small
64: Headon Conquest Large

DUKLA PASS
16: Push through the village, Soviets attacking
32: Push through the defensive line, Soviets attacking
64: Conquest Assault Large, Soviets attacking (not recommended, experience may disappoint)

PEGASUS BRIDGE
16: Capture the bridge, British Paras attacking at night time
32: Conquest Assault South, Capture Horsa Bridge, Wehrmacht attacking
64: Conquest Assault North, Capture Pegasus Bridge, Wehrmacht attacking

SAMMATUS
16: Skirmish over the trenches at early morning sunrise
64: Push through the defensive line, Soviets attacking

SEELOW HEIGHTS
16: Push through the defensive lines at Seelow, Soviets attacking
32: Headon Conquest Small, bad weather
64: Push through the German defense at the Seelow Heights, Soviets attacking

NOTES:

I don't own any of the maps and I didn't create any of these maps. I added bot support and therefore had to modify them a bit here and there, but the credits go, of course, to the FH2 Devs responsible for the amazing work. Keep in mind that this is not official, I am not a Dev.

This is still in an early stage. Even with a 3ds Max crash course, everyday effort and feedback from several testers, two weeks are not nearly enough to finalize complete bot support for five maps on all sizes. Plus the maps aren't made with bots in mind. More often than not I had to settle with sub-optimal AI behaviour - It is still working to a satisfying level and provides a ton of fun. If you encounter any major problems however, please report them so I will be able to fix them asap.

All layers are supported, some modified. I converted every size layer [16,32,64] for usage with bots. To create some diversity, several modes have alternate daytime and weather than the original. Pegasus is split into North [64] and South [32]. Since the AI can't cross the bridges with vehicles, the full map couldn't be supported at this time. Some 64 Maps have altered CP/Vehicle/CSW layouts to favor the AI and ensure stability.

This should not break your game for MP. The maps have custom names like "arad_coop" and will not overwrite anything. Additional base archives named "EF_Coop_Fix_client/server" will be added to the FH2 Mod folder. They are loaded with the maps, not with the mod on launch and contain fixed versions of the vehicles that are currently not supporting the AI. A complete list of these:

Fixed vehicles
  • IL-2 bomber/rockets
  • La-5 FN
  • Zis-3
  • T34/76 Camo + Beutepanzer
  • T34/85 Late

All of these maps are to be played in COOP mode. Don't try Conquest or Singleplayer. Go to Local in the multiplayer menu, choose coop mode and start your server to play on. Here is a quick guide in images:

Co-Op Guide

Patch Log Updated 10/28/2018
Patch v2.54 10/28/2018:
- Lightmapping and Python fixed for FH2.54 compatibility, minor issues and occasional ctds may remain
Patch 0.9 02/25/2016:
- La-5 FN propeller fixed
- Seelow: Further pathfinding improvement
- Seelow/Dukla/Sammatus: Defensive AT Guns/MGs now team-bound
Patch 0.91 02/27/2016:
- Pegasus: Commander Orders on 32 layer fixed
- Dukla Pass: Balance improved, Vehicle layout adjusted
Patch 0.92 02/28/2016:
- PaK 40 HE is back, AIs won't use it, everybody is happy
- Dukla Pass/Sammatus: AI view distances adjusted
Patch 0.93 05/13/2016:
- Balance tweaks, minor edits on Seelow 16 layer

I will try to provide bot support for any maps without it that will come in the future. Apart from that, if you have any map suggestions on which you would like to see bot support, feel free to leave them here or at the thread of my Forgotten Maps Project. UPDATE: Due to my private life taking different directions, I can no longer work on full scale projects. I will however try to keep this playable as it is now as long as I can.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
  • My Beta Testers, most notably the well known forum member DJ Barney
  • gavrant, for permission and helping advice as usual
  • All original creators of these maps, for providing us the awesome stuff
  • Every single FH2 Dev, for bringing this mod alive and keeping the best mod of all times alive

« Last Edit: 28-10-2018, 14:10:16 by Darman »

Offline gamerjer

• View Profile
Re: FH2 2.5 Singleplayer/Co-Op Map Pack [All New Maps]
« Reply #1 on: 23-02-2016, 22:02:36 »
awesome! :) im gonna try it ;D glad to see there are still people helping the devs out with singleplayer
by the way are you gonna join the dev team for the single player/coop part? and will the devs add this to the launcher download to?  :) anyways keep up the good work :D

Offline Oberst_Kroenen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-02-2016, 23:02:41 »
Darman i didnt think you would do it! That sounds awesome im downloading to test them now. Thanks a lot i really appreciate it

- Nice job Darman! I had lots of fun playing the maps. Missed the HE shells a little bit but no big deal. Also the maps appear to be COOP only and no Singleplayer for now.
« Last Edit: 24-02-2016, 00:02:20 by Oberst_Kroenen »

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-02-2016, 12:02:01 »
awesome! :) im gonna try it ;D glad to see there are still people helping the devs out with singleplayer
by the way are you gonna join the dev team for the single player/coop part? and will the devs add this to the launcher download to?  :) anyways keep up the good work :D

I am not an applicant for a Dev position and this is definitly third party content, wether this is being added to the launcher is not up to me, however I highly doubt the possibility.

Darman i didnt think you would do it! That sounds awesome im downloading to test them now. Thanks a lot i really appreciate it

- Nice job Darman! I had lots of fun playing the maps. Missed the HE shells a little bit but no big deal. Also the maps appear to be COOP only and no Singleplayer for now.

Trust me the HEs needed to go (however only for PaK 40s, for now). The extensive use of rifle grenades is troubling enough for attacking AI, PaK gunners that are barely engaged by ground forces anyway just break the balance on most occasions.
The SP in the title is just a synonym for "bot supported". As mentioned, this is made for Co-Op mode only. I don't support the barely customizable "Singleplayer" mode. I never did and never will do. Thats why I added a Co-Op guide in images here, just to make sure.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: FH2: All New 2.5 Maps [SP/COOP] DOWNLOAD
« Reply #4 on: 24-02-2016, 15:02:38 »
I'm such a happy boy!
I have notified Gavrant on beta chat.
Why do you say it's doubtful this makes it into build? If it fixes the mesh issues of the new statics, I think it should definitely be included into an official update.
« Last Edit: 24-02-2016, 15:02:11 by djinn »

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-02-2016, 15:02:47 »
I'm such a happy boy!
I have notified Gavrant on beta chat.
Why do you say it's doubtful this makes it into build? If it fixes the mesh issues of the new statics, I think it should definitely be included into an official update.

Gavrant should know about this, as pointed out he gave me permission to release this.
But it doesn't fix the mesh issues. Most of the EF buildings will be ignored by the AI - be it rural sheds, seelow bunkers, finnish huts - they can not enter them and I removed navmeshing from about 50% of the new buildings that technically could be part of the navmesh because the AI would often get stuck inside behind and angeled door for instance, or a turned over table on the ground. So yeah, especially on Sammatus and Arad, the buildings are basically hiding spots for players since bots won't come after you when you are inside :P Still it doesn't affect gameplay as much as I thought. It isn't really apparent and therefore the maps are a ton of fun anyway.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-02-2016, 17:02:08 »
Great, thanks guys! Downloading it now  :o

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 24-02-2016, 21:02:28 »
Wow. What a trip :P. All that build up to the release of 2.5 over ~1 year (or was it longer?) then the nail biting while I wonder if coop/sp will be done. Then I find myself in Darman's test maps feeling like I've sneaked in to some private viewing or something  ;D. What a big job this obviously was. Well done to Darman and any other testers.

A little Dukla slideshow ...  8)

Having been in testing mode can't help but notice a few things, apart from the kick ass game play of course  ;). For starters something right is going on with bridges, at least the narrow one in Dukla near the German base. Tanks do actually cross it sometimes esp. StuG's but it can still get jammed up. But I don't think I've EVER seen a large AI tank navigate such a narrow bridge before in any FH game.

Navmesh error around 88 @ German base on Dukla (think there's only one 88 there). AI tanks try and navigate out through the whole in the wall. Of course there's an 88 in the way. Even when the 88 is destroyed they get stuck there as well.

The arty gun next to the big barn at the Western river crossing CP on Dukla still causes a CTD on entry by human player.

But that's all for long after you've basked on the glory of your release of course  ;D.
« Last Edit: 25-02-2016, 01:02:16 by Ts4EVER »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-02-2016, 23:02:01 »
Seriously can't wait to get this tonight when my internet bundle goes unlimited.

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-02-2016, 00:02:48 »
For starters something right is going on with bridges, at least the narrow one in Dukla near the German base. Tanks do actually cross it sometimes esp. StuG's but it can still get jammed up. But I don't think I've EVER seen a large AI tank navigate such a narrow bridge before in any FH game.

Navmesh error around 88 @ German base on Dukla (think there's only one 88 there). AI tanks try and navigate out through the whole in the wall. Of course there's an 88 in the way. Even when the 88 is destroyed they get stuck there as well.

The arty gun next to the big barn at the Western river crossing CP on Dukla still causes a CTD on entry by human player.

Thanks for the further feedback. Dukla Pass 64 Issues have been fixed, the ZiS-2 was replaced by a working ZiS-3 (makes more sense for AI-play), the German base FlaK position is no longer a path for vehicles and pathfinding around the bridge should be improved now, there actually were some serious issues with it. However, the AI will still struggle on that position, especially when a traffic jam occurs or one of the broader StuGs is trying to get across. But again, there is just so much I can do on that hot spot.
The patch was applied and a new version of the installer should be up momentarily.

PS: You might want to consider scaling that slideshow down to 700p width. Idk about you, but on my browser it looks kinda weird showing only the left half because the forum panel doesn't allow for more.
« Last Edit: 25-02-2016, 01:02:28 by Darman »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-02-2016, 08:02:17 »
Played this finally and was amazed to start a COOP map with Russians at all then have IL planes take off and rain rockets on German positions. Totally epic!

A few comments though:
1. Some AT guns would best be replaced with static AT guns. Their current position allows them a good defense of the area. making them mobile simply weakens this.

2. Is it possible to make an _ai variant of the Katyusha with perspective raised like is the case with static artillery. That way, it can fire at enemy from range. Otherwise, it will be the first vehicle to the front and the first vehicle to get killed. Another thing to do would be to reduce the temperature of the driver's seat so that bots are less inclined to drive it and more inclined to camp the rockets.

3. Finally, I noted that the plane on Seelow heights; the Russian fighter has it's propeller not moving at all. It may be a bug that was introduced when AI was added. Something to check out.

Otherwise, I'm going to say, this is a really fine addition to the mod and within such a brief period of time.

Great work, Darman!

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-02-2016, 09:02:00 »
1. Some AT guns would best be replaced with static AT guns. Their current position allows them a good defense of the area. making them mobile simply weakens this.
Are you referring to Seelow Heights like in point 2 and 3? Because afaik most AT guns on that map are indeed static. I would like to take a look at this issue though, just point me to the ones that struck you.

2. Is it possible to make an _ai variant of the Katyusha with perspective raised like is the case with static artillery. That way, it can fire at enemy from range. Otherwise, it will be the first vehicle to the front and the first vehicle to get killed. Another thing to do would be to reduce the temperature of the driver's seat so that bots are less inclined to drive it and more inclined to camp the rockets.
That would probably be a job for gavrant but I'll look it up. It would definitly be a cool addition.
EDIT: First attempts to clone the nebelwerfer_AI behaviour for the BM13 were fruitless, on the contrary caused ctds. Currently I won't invest more time in this, I hope you understand. Maybe if you or someone else figures it out before the Devs eventually get to the SP part for the EF, I'd be happy to make it a part of the pack.

3. Finally, I noted that the plane on Seelow heights; the Russian fighter has it's propeller not moving at all. It may be a bug that was introduced when AI was added. Something to check out.
Yes, thats what I pointed out in the "fixed vehicles" spoiler in the opening post. Basically I had to clone the vehicles I wanted to be fixed and somehow the La-5 FN Propeller got messed up in the process. It isn't a game breaker though and I had more pressing matters and hand at this time, so I scheduled it for later. EDIT: Fixed. Will soon be patched in.
« Last Edit: 25-02-2016, 11:02:16 by Darman »

Offline gamerjer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-02-2016, 11:02:09 »
Nice =-) i really enjoy playing against the bot ;D this weekend im gonna play coop with some friends :P
 just a few questions though:

- the artilllery tractor and the captured french tank was not ready for bot support yet? i couldnt  see those new units at pegasus bridge map =-p

- if you put a fix on do we have to redownload the maps?

-another thing i wonder why your work wont be included in the official game or the devs want to use your work as basics improve it and use it later on in the launcher? (just curious) ;D

maby this question is kinda out of place here but
is it possible for bot support on naval maps like pacific, supplies for malta and such? or maps where the bots needs to jump out of an transport plane at the start of the game (catania 64) :P

anyways keep up the good work :D :)

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-02-2016, 11:02:51 »
the artilllery tractor and the captured french tank was not ready for bot support yet? i couldnt  see those new units at pegasus bridge map =-p
They are perfectly usable, however I haven't seen the AI actually use the artillery tractor. Probably the same issues as with the Katyusha mentioned by djinn above. You can find both vehicles on the SOUTH part of the map, which is the 32 size layer. As for why the map is split, please refer to the opening post.

if you put a fix on do we have to redownload the maps?
As it is now, yes. I won't be releasing standalone hotfixes / patches to download separatly during the first week after release or so.

another thing i wonder why your work wont be included in the official game or the devs want to use your work as basics improve it and use it later on in the launcher? (just curious) ;D
I can't speak for the devs. But using my work as a basis for improvement to meet FH2 standards is not possible. For that several EF statics would have to be adjusted for navemshing and then the navmesh would have to be regenerated, which means you'd have to do everything from scratch again, which would render my work or any already generated navmesh obsolete.

maby this question is kinda out of place here but
is it possible for bot support on naval maps like pacific, supplies for malta and such? or maps where the bots needs to jump out of an transport plane at the start of the game (catania 64) :P
I have looked into this as part of my Forgotten Maps Project about a year ago. Short answer: NO. Long answer: Water is a problem, especially the ships, a major part of the WaW/FHT Pacific Maps, are a problem. I won't say it is impossible, but tbh, with the exception of Wake Island - the bf1942 ported Pacific Maps look rather... graphically and optically underwhelming, to put it lightly. As for Catania and most of the other Italy maps from WaW/FHT - although Para Spawns are possible (yet complicated) there are some issues with these as well as a bunch of other community maps that prevent me from generating pathfinding on them. Basically the Editor will CTD if you try and just produce another useless dump file. I couldn't figure out why, I am suspecting custom Statics though. But I won't invest more time in that issue, it did cost me enough already.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-02-2016, 12:02:04 »
@Darman
Seen.

Okay, I think the 75mm AT guns on Arad. Generally, as a rule of thumb, don't make 75mm German or Russian AT guns mobile. The German AT at the bridge flag for instance definitely doesn't need to be moved.

I think the Katyusha with _ai can be a clone. The only difference between the _ai version is that it's point of view is about 15m in the air so it sees over stuff. You might try also making it driver/ gunner so it stops and fires instead of having some idiot bot drive it off - Or try reducing the heat of driver should do also.

Sadly, I doubt Gavrant will ever make an _ai katyusha. On principle, Gavrant doesn't believe mobile arty should have that as it tends to make them more clumsy to drive by both bots and humans.

So this would have to be your call.