Author Topic: The State of New York approves gay marriage.  (Read 11330 times)

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
Re: The State of New York approves gay marriage.
« Reply #30 on: 26-06-2011, 08:06:10 »
I look at like, there's one less man in between me and that hot girl.  :-*

In my experience the hot girls chase after the gay guys then get all disappointed when they find out they are gay, then they do the same thing all over again.

All of you saying marriages shouldn't be recognized by the government, only by religious groups: Read about Israeli marriage law. That's how things work in Israel, with each religion having its own marriage laws and it is a giant screw-up. Most religious groups won't marry couples where the husband and wife have different religions. Atheists and agnostics cannot legally get married in Israel. Only Orthodox rabbis can officiate Jewish weddings and they have different rules than other sects of Judaism which those other sects nonetheless have to follow. Only 9 Christian churches can recognize marriages, problem is there are a lot more Christian denominations than that. Divorce is also handled by the courts, and some religions do not allow divorce while Islam for example practices Sharia law.

What this means in practice is like 10% of the Israeli population gets married overseas, then goes back to Israel where foreign marriages are legally recognized.

IMO, it is best for governments to recognize a "baseline" civil marriage and then religious organizations can add their own rules to that, and following those rules is up to the individual conscience of the people involved.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26-06-2011, 13:06:19 »

IMO, it is best for governments to recognize a "baseline" civil marriage and then religious organizations can add their own rules to that, and following those rules is up to the individual conscience of the people involved.
That´s how it works in Germany and some other European countries, such as France, Switzerland or Russia.
No churchy marriage is officially legal until there has been a civil marriage. If you want to marry in a church it´s just some personal "bonus", but not necesessary. It works quite well because people who aren´t into any religion or whose marriage would be a "sin" in the eyes of some church, like gay couples, can still be officially married and have the same benefits as a classical man-woman-marriage.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26-06-2011, 13:06:26 »
Anything that has something to do with legislation, human rights or general well being and private life of people should not be regulated by bronze-age mythology.

Too bad even on these forums there are people whose main purpose in life seems to fear, persecute and hate someone because of just that. Bronze-age mythology.  ::)
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26-06-2011, 13:06:03 »
In front of the law two gays are strangers. Once they marry, they're considered each others closest relative, which would be otherwise their siblings or parents. That will simplify legal aspects from health care over administrative aspects to inheritance.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26-06-2011, 14:06:29 »
And also dispute settlement on divorce.

I look at like, there's one less man in between me and that hot girl.  :-*

In my experience the hot girls chase after the gay guys then get all disappointed when they find out they are gay, then they do the same thing all over again.

All of you saying marriages shouldn't be recognized by the government, only by religious groups: Read about Israeli marriage law. That's how things work in Israel, with each religion having its own marriage laws and it is a giant screw-up. Most religious groups won't marry couples where the husband and wife have different religions. Atheists and agnostics cannot legally get married in Israel. Only Orthodox rabbis can officiate Jewish weddings and they have different rules than other sects of Judaism which those other sects nonetheless have to follow. Only 9 Christian churches can recognize marriages, problem is there are a lot more Christian denominations than that. Divorce is also handled by the courts, and some religions do not allow divorce while Islam for example practices Sharia law.

What this means in practice is like 10% of the Israeli population gets married overseas, then goes back to Israel where foreign marriages are legally recognized.

Same thing in Indonesia. People have to be in the same religion to be married. So they went to Singapore or Australia to do just that.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26-06-2011, 15:06:39 »
One more state to go far around Xd.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #36 on: 26-06-2011, 15:06:28 »

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26-06-2011, 15:06:00 »
One more state to go far around Xd.
I would like to remind you my good man, that there are in fact homosexuals on these very forums. But don't worry, you only have to ask and a moderator will help you out.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 26-06-2011, 15:06:04 »
But don't worry, you only have to ask and a moderator will help you out.

Please direct all homo-questions to Thorondor, I dont know jack about these things.  :P

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27-06-2011, 00:06:31 »
That´s how it works in Germany and some other European countries, such as France, Switzerland or Russia.
No churchy marriage is officially legal until there has been a civil marriage. If you want to marry in a church it´s just some personal "bonus", but not necesessary. It works quite well because people who aren´t into any religion or whose marriage would be a "sin" in the eyes of some church, like gay couples, can still be officially married and have the same benefits as a classical man-woman-marriage.

This is how it works in the USA, except that each state sets its own marriage laws instead of one national law. Hence each state has different rules for gay marriage/civil unions/waiting periods/age of consent/testing requirements/divorce laws/alienation of affection laws and so on.

We also have religious organizations that perform marriages that would otherwise be illegal. Of course, these marriages don't count for anything legally. But churches that support gay marriage will sometimes hold gay marriage ceremonies even if the couple couldn't get a civil marriage.

The same thing happens with Mormon polygamists...only one of their marriages is legally recognized and all the other wives are only recognized by their church. On the other hand the act of having two civil marriages at once=bigamy which is a crime, and many of these Mormon groups also married underage girls to creepy old dudes and as a result a number of their leaders are currently in jail for pedophilia and child sex trafficking.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27-06-2011, 06:06:48 »
But once they married outside the state that does not recognize gay marriage, they are still legal when they return, right?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27-06-2011, 06:06:24 »
But once they married outside the state that does not recognize gay marriage, they are still legal when they return, right?

Nope, since that marriage is not recognized by the other state.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27-06-2011, 07:06:21 »

Please direct all homo-questions to Thorondor, I dont know jack about these things.  :P

Heh. Heheh.

I'm all for homosexual marriage. If they want to get game over like heterosexual couples, go for it o/

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27-06-2011, 11:06:24 »
This is how it works in the USA, except that each state sets its own marriage laws instead of one national law. Hence each state has different rules for gay marriage/civil unions/waiting periods/age of consent/testing requirements/divorce laws/alienation of affection laws and so on.

We also have religious organizations that perform marriages that would otherwise be illegal. Of course, these marriages don't count for anything legally. But churches that support gay marriage will sometimes hold gay marriage ceremonies even if the couple couldn't get a civil marriage.

The same thing happens with Mormon polygamists...only one of their marriages is legally recognized and all the other wives are only recognized by their church. On the other hand the act of having two civil marriages at once=bigamy which is a crime, and many of these Mormon groups also married underage girls to creepy old dudes and as a result a number of their leaders are currently in jail for pedophilia and child sex trafficking.
Thanks for the explanation!
It´s a bit odd that state law is more important in this matter than federal law. Marriage (between two consent persons who are full age, no matter of their sex) is a pretty basic human right, I think, that should be a federal matter, like all basic rights, such as freedom of oppinion etc. and should be in effect in all states.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #44 on: 27-06-2011, 11:06:32 »

Heh. Heheh.

I'm all for homosexual marriage. If they want to get game over like heterosexual couples, go for it o/

^ This, welcome to the world of shit gay peoples, you fought for this, you got it, now you will realise
just what marriage does to two poeple.  The moment you put those rings on things change, they do!

Do yourself a favour, take your rings to Mordor! .... oh wait, that's not a gay joke btw!
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats