Author Topic: AI minimod 1.3 beta 3 + Map AI minimod 1.0b  (Read 12003 times)

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
AI minimod 1.3 beta 3 + Map AI minimod 1.0b
« on: 08-07-2010, 22:07:53 »
DOWNLOAD LINK - AI minimod
DOWNLOAD LINK - Map tweaks

(NEW VERSION UPLOADED 24/7/10)

This contains quite a few fixes since the last version, both large (AI firing howitzers) and small (planes less likely to strafe tanks). It's still definitely a BETA version as there are some serious issues not yet fixed (such as bots not firing small arms at exposed vehicle crew) and I haven't really playtested it enough to check for CTDs and map-specific issues.

Any feedback on CTDs, particularly repeatable ones, would be welcome!

Installing the map tweaks minimod is highly recommended, as you'll need to install it to use the SP-only artillery with raised gunner viewpoint. It also has a lot of changes to the map AI scripts, fixes to the "commander spam bug", etc. It's currently very unfinished, many maps don't have custom AI scripts yet, but all those that do are tested and working correctly (to my knowledge)

Installation may be a tricky job for anyone not used to working with BF2 mod archives (you need to open each map's server.zip and add the mod files to it), but I don't really have the webspace/bandwidth to upload a version containing the full server.zip archives for every map (really ought to try using a filesharing site rather than my own webspace) If anyone wants to make a "compiled" version available, feel free!

Feedback on the map mod (probably best in a separate thread) would also be welcome - I'd particularly like to know if the commander spam bug is still present on any maps!
« Last Edit: 24-07-2010, 19:07:44 by Drawde »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: AI minimod 1.3 beta 2 + Map AI minimod 1.0
« Reply #1 on: 08-07-2010, 22:07:06 »
Halleluja!!!! Gotta try this immediately! thanks Drawde!

few early notes:
The POV of the NA British Howitzer is not raised :-( as is the case with the American Howitzer. The Normandy Brit howitzer seems to have an issue too. Although it has raised POV, it can no longer swivel, even with me on it. It raises, and lowers, but it cannot swivel... The ties turn but the gun doesn't

I also think you might want to try the Stuka divehorn I posted on my DL space... Not sure if you have... Since FH2 doesn't currently have a Stuka divehorn with a distant sound variant making the horn sounding more than just a single note, the FH1 which at least gives the change in pitch might be an interesting factor to consider...

I'm loving the Stuka now though, and tank combat, especially in Cobra, is quite vicious now... a-lOv-iit!

I did also note in Supercharge, the commander AI still gives the same orders as before i.e. attack bases far off in the rear (For brits) and spamming the radio with defense commands for the Germans.

Will give more feedback when I try it out more

EDIT: I may need to redo the level patch just to make sure, but it seems some maps have functional arty, while others don't. Arty in Seige of Tobruk is very effective, while the same arty in Superchaqrge i.e. the Brits' doesn't even see as far as the next base.

Did you get to fix mortars fire at infantry cuz they seem to do so as much as they fire at tanks :-)

I did note something odd. The mortar on Tobruk was firing at Germans coming off the ridge as relentlessly as always, but whenI manned the gun, it didn't have raised POV at all... Was that deliberate cuz that would be tres cool i.e making bots see higher, but players limited to what is in Conquest... Same went for the nebelwerfer, which is just a dream come true.
« Last Edit: 09-07-2010, 01:07:01 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-07-2010, 16:07:26 »
I take it all back. The Stuka divehorn sound from AIX pwns! I tried using the FH1 sound and it sounded alot softer and it didn't last long enough, cutting off after only a few seconds. This one on the other hand just scares the hell out of me, even when I'm on the axis side.... The final choice was when i realized the FH1 sound was weaker sounding than the Hurricane engine sound... This one on the other hand is distinctly Stuka

I still note that most forms of artillery have lowered LOS i.e not 15m higher. Still not sure if its just for the player's benefit, with bots benefiting fromt the increased range, or some of them are indeed lowered.

Now I need to check out why some guns, like those on Alam Halfa i.e the German ones don't seem to see the Allied gun positions to fire at them. They actually seem to aim since I've noted that guns don't raise or lower their cannon until they can see something... kinda like infantry pulling out a knife for seemingly no reason

Also noted that, while AT guns seem fine with tanks, even when having to fire prone, they are hopeless against infantry even at close range.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-07-2010, 17:07:24 »
Great job Drawde!! Thanks....will install your patches and will post feedback asap

Edit 1:a) Tested Cobra...howitzers manned but didn't see them fire (probably because americans had taken windmill and started taking over the city) Need to test in more detail.

b) Tested Crete: Woooaahh: Great job on the Stuka siren....at one time I was manning a Vickers gun and I heard the siren approachin then the whistle of the bombs falling. Epic!! - I confess: I flinched just before bombs impacted.
« Last Edit: 09-07-2010, 18:07:04 by Raziel »

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-07-2010, 20:07:01 »
Excellent work Drawde... well I haven’t played much yet, but I'm assuming it’s excellent, because I can't imagine it’s anything less.

I was going to ask how to add the ai friendly artillery to maps, so I can do so for future maps and maps I'm currently working on, but I figured it out for myself. It's as simple as going into the gameplayobjects.con and replacing the artillery with the '_AI' version. So, '81mm_mortar_m1' becomes '81mm_mortar_m1_AI' and 'lefh18' becomes 'lefh18_AI'... etc. I did notice not all the maps have the ai friendly artillery in, but that’s forgivable given I can't imagine how much work went into just getting things this far.

I'm going to wait to pass this along to the devs until all the wrinkles are ironed out. I may need to make some alterations to make things compatible, but I want to avoid stepping on your work or rendering all the time you've put into this obsolete. So if I do make any alterations I'll post the altered files here first so you can see them before I pass them along. If that's ok with you.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-07-2010, 21:07:35 »
@ Remick
You might also want the devs to consider the way this Stuka works, including the exact sound. The Stuka Drawde adapted doesn't need to turn out its divehorn, but the horn turns on automatically at high speed i.e in a dive.

Ofcourse, since bots don't dive steeply enough, Drawde tweaked it to turn on at a gentle dive speed - So a non _AI version, if the devs choose to adapt it, could have it set to come on at a steeper dive.... It certainly beats what we currently have in Multiplayer both because of the sound, but also because it turns the horn automatically, as it should

The main credit goes to Clivewil, who's work Drawde adapted....

Its nice to see everyone seeing this.... Especially reassuring to know that all this might find a way into the official version.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-07-2010, 09:07:16 »
FH2 Stuka Horn works how it is because the STUKA in the Old plane Physics never reached a speed where the Horn could start automaticly. Could be that this is better now.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-07-2010, 10:07:46 »
 8)

...If anyone wants to make a "compiled" version available, feel free!...
I might just do that. I'll have a look at it tomorrow, then I'll update the sticky.

I take it all back. The Stuka divehorn sound from AIX pwns!...
Nothing induces terror and panic quite like that wail growing ever-louder when you're on the ground... :)

Offline Frysian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-07-2010, 13:07:23 »
Thanks! i'll give it a try on my server! :)

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-07-2010, 21:07:55 »
I definitely prefer the AIX Stuka sound to the FH1 one, it's a much longer continuous sound and changes pitch according to the plane's speed (rather than the pitch change being part of the sound file). It sounds a bit odd if the .WAV file is played outside the game, but the in-game effect sounds spot on. I think the volume/distance fade effect still needs tweaking, though.

The US artillery on Cobra definitely doesn't fire, unfortunately, not sure why as it ought to have line of sight to the farmhouse.

I haven't updated the artillery objects on all the maps (Anctoville, Lebisey, Villers Bocage etc.) but all of the standard 2.26 SP maps, plus those added by Remick04, should be included in the 1.0 map patch. Not all of them have fully updated/fixed AI strategy scripts, though.

For the next version I'll make SP-only versions of the Stuka with the automatic dive siren. Not sure if it would be better for the MP versions to either have the original key-activated siren, or use the same AIX code with the velocity threshold increased, so it only activates in steep dives (as it should realistically, but bots very rarely do steep dives - so the threshold needs to be lower for SP)?

To Djinn - It sounds like you haven't installed the map patch correctly (no AI artillery, commander spam on Supercharge, etc.) Hopefully if cannonfodder can make a compiled map mod available, this will make it a lot easier to install.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-07-2010, 02:07:01 »
Wierd... I had AI arty and mortar for singleplayer versions of all the maps we've been working on,plus 2.0 maps, but not in their COOP versions (Which is what I generally play). So I  had to copy '_AI' to maps like Gazala, Mersa Matru, Alam Halfa and Cobra. It also seems like the Normandy version opf the British 25pdr has an issue. I only tried them in Goodwood and noted their tyres move, but the gun doesn't rotate. it raises and lowers, but it can't rotate left of right... Anyone else note this? Both in SP and COOP Goodwood.

Didn't note firing from it at all in Totalize, nor did I sit on it to check sadly...

Again, did you manage to get the arty to somehow fire from 15feet up while remaining at normal view for the player? In some versions, its clearly noted as being 15 feet elevated, but in others it isn't, yet the bots use it as thought it were and the files confirm that it is... Examples are in Seige of Tobruk's mortar.

Don't listen to me about the Stuka... AIX sound is perfect! Bots dive best in Mersa Matru for some reason, and least of all in Olympus and Alam Halfa

Only other comment I have besides the Normandy 25pdr is that you should see that all maps with custom stuff like the arty and Stuka get a separate type from MP, and work both in COOP and SP...

Nice additions you made... The increased length of spawn for guns, seriously more agressive tanks and aircrafts and the VW Beatle... I feel like I'm playing a more organised form of Conquest :-)

Will still try and see if we can get bots to fly higherand dive steeper... A long shot, but kinda like getting arty firing further i.e a more foward 15feet view, or somehow raising it higher than 15feet... still worth considering...

EDIT:
Noted that while static mortars use the elevated POV, deployable ones do not. Also, there is still no love for deployable mgs. I think given it the same 'heat' as static mortars might improve the bots like for them, especially the .30 cal
« Last Edit: 11-07-2010, 03:07:12 by djinn »

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-07-2010, 16:07:31 »
Continuing my review.
Drawde these are not complains. Far from it. I really admire your work and the fact that you are giving Splayer in FH2 much needed life!

Totalize:
6 pounder: manned and firing

25 pounder: Elevated view but no Yaw movements. (As Djinn said Dials move but cannon is fixed)

Nebelwerfer: Fires + doesn't hit windmill. Rockets fly past windmill. (Goodjob!)

Quite a number of bots idling at main base.

I've noted that even though flags are capped bots still spawn at main after they are killed

Lots of Commander spam on Axis side.

El Alamein

Mortars Firing by both Brits + Axis

25 pounder at Brit Main Base manned (unfortunately I didn't see it fire)

Mileiriya Ridge flag capped (Brit to Axis) but map still shows British flag.

Bots repairing my tank  :)

Bots spawning on me (On totalize they didn't)

Bots using VW! Epic!
All in all GREAT job!
« Last Edit: 11-07-2010, 16:07:09 by Raziel »

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-07-2010, 21:07:37 »
Turns out the map patch problem was my fault, I only updated the SP mode files for most maps and forgot to copy them into the Co-Op mode folder as well! - so the co-op files are either unmodified or very out of date compared to the SP ones. I'll fix this ASAP (within the next week at least).

Also will have a look at the Normandy 25pdr issue - I suspect this is a bug with the non-AI/SP version of the gun, as I think the SP one worked OK the last time I tried it.

Only the gunner's viewpoint (and the ranging dials) are elevated, the shots themselves are fired from the barrel as normal. I think the ranging/spotting code also uses the barrel as a reference point, rather than the gunner's viewpoint.

The El Alamein 25pdr is probably just too far away from the enemy lines to fire - artillery gunner bots are still limited by the AI's sight range. If the Germans got as far as the British forward base (they never have when I've played this map) it might fire.

The raised viewpoint doesn't - as far as I can see - increase the spotting range for the AI, it only allows them to see over terrain and obstacles blocking their line of sight. For an artillery weapon which already has a good vantage point (e.g. the mortar on Kidney Ridge, El Al) it makes little or no difference to how effectively the AI uses it.

I'll get round to adding AI versions of deployable mortars sooner or later, this requires a bit more coding than the fixed ones so I left it out for this one. Increased AI priority for deployable MGs is also doable, but will require new AI files for these weapons (not hard to do)

Also, I'm now working on separate versions of the Stuka for SP (with the AIX divehorn activated in shallow dives). As I mentioned before - Do you think the MP version should have the original key-activated horn, or an automatic AIX-style one which only activates in steep dives?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-07-2010, 10:07:49 »
Great to hear Drawde. I personally changed the Normandy 25pdr to the African ones in Totalize and Goodwood, but oddly enough in Goodwood, the bots manned it (Seems like they like the African ones better) but didn't see a reason to fire! It might have had a better result in Totalize, except it didn't get manned at all. Its hard to tell if these are navmesh reasons or preference reasons

Clivewil PMed me a solution for the rockets. I should ask for the files, but I would let him try it out with the other rocket planes before I do.

Noted something in Goodwood. I realize you added some stuff, like the Tiger in Cobra to help the counterattack.. well, in Goodwood, and I'm not sure you did it, but the German bots now spawn in the upstairs room and get stuck... like it used to before Winterhilf's clean-up of that map, yet the map is clearly that clean-up version....

I'm definitely thinking we need to either raise the howitzer's view point higher, or like I said once, moving it foward while still at 15m high might do the trick. The philosophy is that, since raising it loses some close range perspective (Not sure it matters to bots), moving it foward would have the same effect as raising it above 15m, and yet it will also guarrantee bots see further out... if it were possible. Drawde, think its worth trying?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-07-2010, 13:07:12 »
...I think the volume/distance fade effect still needs tweaking, though...
Yeah, I agree. On El Al, most of the time you can hear it wailing and it sounds like it's right above you, yet the Stuka is nowhere to be seen.

Haven't had much time to test many maps, but there's something wrong with the Fall of Tobruk files, it CTD's a second or two after clicking 'Join Game', a couple of times it crashed while it was still loading (didn't notice what % it was at though).

Also, there was only an empty folder for Falaise.