Author Topic: Arma II "...one of the most ambitious videogames ever made."  (Read 5933 times)

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
Re: Arma II "...one of the most ambitious videogames ever made."
« Reply #15 on: 30-06-2009, 00:06:26 »
I have to say this game looks incredible. I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30-06-2009, 01:06:14 »
So far I'm extremely impressed with this game. I've only played the demo, and yes the bugs are quite annoying, but overall it's a fantastic experience. Given the level of complexity of the game, I'm surprised it doesn't have more bugs.

The versatile editor is the star of the show. If you want proof don't listen to me -- go on Youtube and just type ARMA II. You'll see hundreds of videos of people making amazing custom missions that deliver some seriously cinematic experiences with no scripting what so ever.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30-06-2009, 03:06:26 »
After looking at some of youtube videos I give this game a much higher rating, definately! The immersion by just vatching gameplay videos is outstanding. Check what I found.

Show video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePrwLMi1fyQ&feature=related

Massive battles (immersion max):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zhS4DuML5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6TnEyrN55I
Online CO-OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaAnCP9GeMQ&feature=PlayList&p=6C61BEF9A7408EAC&index=8

Engine capabilities:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khG8pVEmzO4

I already await of a WWII mod of some sort.  ;D

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30-06-2009, 04:06:24 »
A game like this could be the platform for something approaching the perfect WW2 game. :)

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30-06-2009, 04:06:00 »
Certainly looks impressive. Be nice if they fixed the voice problem though :\. ArmA1 was decent, maybe I'll give this a try at some point.

There are some nice WW2 mods for ArmA1, particularly a Finnish one thats still in development... maybe they'll port to ArmA2.

azreal

« Reply #20 on: 30-06-2009, 05:06:00 »
I must say the demo was fun. Kinda wish they put more time into the aircraft though. I mean the physics are great, but limited controls make helicopters feel like BF2. But I can't complain overall. I really gotta find enough money for this now, cause I want to try the jets/C-130. I like how you can actually load a crap load of guys into vehicles unlike BF2's 8.

EDIT: just beautiful :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyGNwmaFW8I

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30-06-2009, 07:06:59 »
I have played this game, i really liked but it was boring after the first NIGHT!

Lag, i cant remember all my specs but i must says its not an old PC, can run FH2, PR on High etc. I can remember, i have an Nivdia 8600 GT 512mb, 2GB RAM (I think the 2GB of ram is making the game slow)..

The Driving, horrible, just horrible. In MP it lags alot, cars are bs, same whit tanks. COmmanding the tank is the worst thing you can do in the Game, you jus tsay "Right".. tank goes to Right, and then comes back to same position!! wtf!

Sounds. ALl sounds in ArmA sucks.

Effects. Explosions are a bit OK, but the smoke going out of the gun is just horrible. Looks 2D.

Ambient. Is just awesome, i love the  Villages and stuff. I think they made a good thing there!

Combined Arms. A-W-E-S-O-M-E... the idea of a Combined arms is just EPIC! I love that!

Graphics, Exellent!

Still, the AI needs to be fixed, sometimes you end up running alone and all your Teammates looking at you. Its just silly. Needs urgent Sound Mod and WWII Mod hehe

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-06-2009, 07:06:58 »
Lag, i cant remember all my specs but i must says its not an old PC, can run FH2, PR on High etc. I can remember, i have an Nivdia 8600 GT 512mb, 2GB RAM (I think the 2GB of ram is making the game slow)..

Sorry Tore,

but those specs are those of an old PC by todays standards. Iirc you need more than a DualCore to run Arma2 lag free and 2GB of RAM are really on the edge even for a five year old game like PR/FH2 that is BF2. :)

But I agree, without the sound mod that has been released already Arma sounds would suck.

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #23 on: 30-06-2009, 07:06:41 »
I tried to play the demo but naturally it requires shader 3.0 which my X800 doesn't support, and instead of just allowing the user to disable shader 3 features or revert to 2.0 it just completely blocks you from starting the game.

::)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-06-2009, 07:06:47 »

Sorry Tore,

but those specs are those of an old PC by todays standards. Iirc you need more than a DualCore to run Arma2 lag free and 2GB of RAM are really on the edge even for a five year old game like PR/FH2 that is BF2. :)

But I agree, without the sound mod that has been released already Arma sounds would suck.

Well, i tought my PC will be able to run it good. I can run it, not like i wanted High High.. hhee.

Same thing happens between GTA IV and ArmA II, both are in my PC atm, one, GTA, needs a zombie mod urgently. And the other, Arma, needs fixing and WW2 :D

Offline BUNNY

• Crapping in your foxhole
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-06-2009, 12:06:40 »
Bought it, played it, lovin' it  :)

Offline Big Lebowski

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-06-2009, 12:06:09 »

Sorry Tore,

Where would one find this sound mod for ARMA II ?  :)

Offline GoldFingero

• El GoldFingero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-06-2009, 13:06:03 »
Played the demo, and I loved it!

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07-07-2009, 01:07:02 »
Played the demo. First thing I noticed:
Splash Screens layout is the same since Operation Flashpoint. Engine Copyrights: 1999-2009. Basically the hardcoded engine itself has not been modified. Only textures have been improved since ArmA and updated with eyecandy like particle effects. Basically some Direct X7 layout with different map textures for night and day. Static Object shadows are pre-computed and have been added to the map textures to improve performance. Accordingly there is no night and day change, the sky is static. Multiplayer-mode of the Demo reveals nothing really new. Looks like Developers counted on the community to advance multiplayer-modes like Warfare.

Also the AI is still the same as 2001. Played a mission and followed my squadleader into combat. Squadleader is advancing forward leaving his men behind, but is waiting for the player. Accordingly it is up to the player now to make the squadleader wait for the rest of his men. Standard expression: "Where are you?" Vehicles are still loosing track of the road at waypoints, getting stuck at obstacles. The game retaliates on the developers for not improving the hardcoded engine or AI itself. Instead of improving the AI, the worst waypoints on roads have been mitigated by re-arranging the road according to the runs that AI controlled vehicles are taking when following waypoints. This makes road layouts look more unrealistic, with the roads trailing the scenery like mathematical vectors. The HUD font size have been increased, giving the impression of playing on 800x600 while actually playing on greater resolutions. Ironsights are still less usable than the 2D Crosshair, accordingly crosshair is the first choice. Overall, the game appears to be gaudy.

Sounds are ok, speech is worse than ever. Example: "Enemy Soldier, 2 hours, south-west of my position." What the heck happened to the good old expressions like "Enemy soldier, 2 o'Clock, 50 meters."? Seems like the game has been synchronized by a gospel choir. Soundmod required.

Usage of hardware itself has not changed. The game is hungry for processor memory and harddrive speed, video performane depends on the setting. Recording footage with fraps still forces the framerate to drop intensively, as fraps is still making huge use of CPU and the harddrive itself.

Honestly, I wonder what happened to guy who hardcoded the engine. He seems to be lost since Operation Flashpoint. What happened to him? Lost in a traffic accident? Drunk himself to death? Developing great engines for other developers? Without tweaking the core of the engine itself, the rest of the developing team can only fix textures, map layout and softcoded gameplay elements. And that is what they are doing. Though ten years after the development of the engine, it is outdated and screams for an update. No wonder they did not find a publisher for a game with an engine that had seen better days. And no wonder the current publisher rushed the release, hoping to make some money with the game as long as the engine is still half-decent and presentable.

After all, "...one of the most ambitious videogames ever made..." is on a strong decline towards meaninglessness. Ten years ago one could easily connive at the weak details, honouring the overall concept of the game. Nowadays all I see right away are the details that annoyed me before, which I cannot miss any longer, not being equalized by an innovative concept of the game itself anymore.

Installing now, more to come in a few days.

Charming: OFP

Not charming at all: ArmA2

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07-07-2009, 18:07:34 »
I checked with my local shop, and it costs 49.99 USD. You guys paying 49.95 € are paying much more than american audiences. If I'm correct, $12 USD is equal to 10€.