Author Topic: Arma II "...one of the most ambitious videogames ever made."  (Read 5937 times)

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
Has anybody played this yet?  I think it is out in Europe already. 

http://www.arma2.com/

About the Game

Building on 10 years of constant engine development, ARMA II boasts the most realistic combat environment in the world. It models real world ballistics & round deflection, materials penetration, features a realtime day/night cycle and dynamic wind, weather and environmental effects. The simulation of a combat environment is so effective, the engine forms the basis for training simulators used by real armies the world over.

Although ArmA II is set in the fictional ex-soviet state of 'Chernarus' the gameworld is actually a 225 square kilometer chunk of the real world! ARMA II's highly detailed landscape is a meticulous facsimile of real terrain, modeled using extensive geographical data. This recreated region is brought to life with spectacular environmental effects and populated with dynamic civilian settlements and wildlife. Wild animals roam the atmospheric forests while the people of Chernarus try to live out their lives among the war-torn streets.

Offline RedSand

• View Profile
Doesn't look very good, to be honest...

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
It certainly looks better than ARMA I but if it runs like shit as well then it's a no buy for me. I really want to like this game but I'm afraid it might just release as unpolished as its predecessor.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
Where can one get the German beta?  I would like to try it out but I have not found the download yet.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Mwew, graphics like COD4 and the overshaking screen is already hurting my hay fever eyes. Must be horrible for people with motion sickness.

But the wild animals, those are genius. Boar, assault enemy positions!
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
I just want to sick the dog on someone. 

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Mwew, graphics like COD4 and the overshaking screen is already hurting my hay fever eyes. Must be horrible for people with motion sickness.

But the wild animals, those are genius. Boar, assault enemy positions!

You can adjust Head bobbing in the options. Arma II is a bit like Arma I. They still have the weird voices and you don't play this game voor the graphics.
I am having fun with it though, going through boot camp, right now.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Where can one get the German beta?  I would like to try it out but I have not found the download yet.

It's a beta which you can buy for 49.95€.
The German publisher really did a dick job rushing this release and on most systems it is bug ridden like nothing before. (Except ArmA1 ^^)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
I read about the bugs too. Would be a shame if this game flops because they released it too early. What is really cool about it is the large viewing distance of 10 km. But I also read in a review that the driving physics fell like "driving on ice" which we know too well from BF2. If that is true its very disapointing. I had big hopes that this could be a candidate for the new FH3 engine in a couple of years.  :(
« Last Edit: 03-06-2009, 14:06:06 by Knitschi »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
I read about the bugs too. Would be a shame if this game flops because they released it too early. What is really cool about it is the large viewing distance of 10 km. But I also read in a review that the driving physics fell like "driving on ice" which we know too well from BF2. If that is true its very disapointing. I had big hopes that this could be a candidate for the new FH3 engine in a couple of years.  :(

Those 10km are only achievable with a Patchfield! ^^
Try 5km with a Quadcore and 2 high end Graphic cards in SLi mode and... 2-3km for us normal users.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
Re: Arma II "...one of the most ambitious videogames ever made."
« Reply #10 on: 03-06-2009, 19:06:04 »

It's a beta which you can buy for 49.95€.
The German publisher really did a dick job rushing this release and on most systems it is bug ridden like nothing before. (Except ArmA1 ^^)

I see they are already selling it on Steam for $50 but the game does not even unlock until the end of June.  I think they will have to at least provide a demo before I would buy it. 

Offline Blitzkrieger

• I are teh L33T
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-06-2009, 19:06:22 »
Drop the money on this and suffer performance problems all on a game that really doesn't look so good?

I'm sticking with Project Reality and COD4

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-06-2009, 20:06:17 »
"Surprisingly", it looked so much better in previews.
And for a demonstration of the "ambitious" AI, watch that video...

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,685486/ArmA-2-PC-Games-testet-die-Militaer-Simulation-mit-Videobeweis-und-Interviews-Update/PC/News/

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04-06-2009, 22:06:47 »
As I said before: I liked Operation Flashpoint though it came with lots of bugs and brought a lot of trouble when playing. But now this engine appears to be 10 years old, only updated to implement better graphics, not tweaking any bug at all. The resistance of Bohemia Interactive to learn is quite amazing. Or whatever they call themselves now. I got the impression that some old men are making the last buck out of what hasn't been maintained in the meantime at all. Even Dice/EA did way better with the BF series.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-06-2009, 00:06:24 »
I played the demo right now and I have to say that the bugs are on a level of annoyance. You have to put a lot of patience to like this game. With all the problems that this game shows I still see a potential here in multiplayer.

So, did anyone tried this game on-line yet?