Author Topic: Aviator's License  (Read 2128 times)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Aviator's License
« on: 12-03-2010, 05:03:38 »
This summer I plan on starting ground and flight training for my Aviators License. I know most of the basic stuff from a pilots handbook that my dad gave to me that he used to study with back in the 80's. So before I started and all, any suggestions guys? Also, this is in California, for those of you in Europe its most likely different but the basics are the probably the same.

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Zurich163

• View Profile
Re: Aviator's License
« Reply #1 on: 12-03-2010, 05:03:44 »
 Don't get discouraged, it can (will) seem a little overwhelming at first, but it is all worth it in the end.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-03-2010, 05:03:06 »
Didn't see that haha. I thought you were just making a blanket statement like "I drank some apple juice, going to work at sears this summer" hah. Anyway, no suggestions, it takes a lot, but it's worth it to have I'd say. I don't have mine, but my uncle does.

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-03-2010, 05:03:16 »
:( Too bad i do not have enough funds to get mine ATM.. :-[
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-03-2010, 06:03:06 »
Years ago, a mate of a mate was trying to become a commercial pilot. If I recall correctly, he reckoned the hardest thing was coming up with enough money to feed the plane when he was trying to get his flight hours up.

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #5 on: 12-03-2010, 08:03:08 »
Military is always a good route for that. Its what im doing.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-03-2010, 11:03:07 »
I would say go for it, flying is fun :)
Altough if i look at my brother in law (who is a commercial long distance pilot and instructor) i would say study hard and dont be afraid.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-03-2010, 11:03:14 »
Remember; flying easy... but landing in one piece is hard ;)
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-03-2010, 11:03:42 »
Getting a pilot's licence is not really a huge problem, I tried it myself, but I had to quit due to time issues.
The problems start when you have it, as you have to have a certain amount of flight hours per year in order to keep it. Planes are just so damn expensive. ^^

Now that I started working I finally have the money and time for it and I'm flirting with an Ultra Light Pilot Licence, but on the other hand I am still looking for a nice custom Harley which would be a bit cheaper in the end... damn I hate such decisions...^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-03-2010, 15:03:02 »
This may sound stupid, but get Flight Simulator 2004 or FSX. Learn how the panels and instruments work, and get a semi-feel for the aircraft. Practice makes perfect: if you can land a 747 succesfully in rough weather and poor visibility I'm sure you can handle smaller stuff as well!
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-03-2010, 16:03:25 »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-03-2010, 16:03:20 »
This may sound stupid, but get Flight Simulator 2004 or FSX. Learn how the panels and instruments work, and get a semi-feel for the aircraft. Practice makes perfect: if you can land a 747 succesfully in rough weather and poor visibility I'm sure you can handle smaller stuff as well!

A lot of real commercial pilots in my community play it as well.

And they say it is more difficult because you handle both the work of the Captain and F/Os alone. But at least you get a glimpse of "flying". One of my friends has recently flown his first solo flight in Cessna 172. He spent 7 years with me and friends perfecting our Flight Simulator skills. Finally he took his chance autumn last year. Here are his pictures taxiing to apron (the aerodome is Halim Perdana Kusuma /ICAO: WIIH/IATA: HLP)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/edors/ugal-ugalan/halim_7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/edors/ugal-ugalan/halim_9.jpg

His comments are: the default Cessna C172 flight dynamics are very similar to the real ones i flew. However, the jets (737-400, 747-400) feels funny.

For better big passenger jet simulation, real pilots in our community recommended several third-party payware add-ons like this one: www.precisionmanuals.com
Another good add-ons: www.leveldsim.com
There are no real 767 pilots in our community, but many agrees that this one is the best.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-03-2010, 20:03:02 »
I have a dream to one day get a flying-license. For a small hobby-plane, not like a 747.

I also have a dream to jump with a parachute, I can imagine the feeling of "freedom" when you're in the air like that. Though I know I would never dare
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Kading

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-03-2010, 21:03:08 »
Military is always a good route for that. Its what im doing.

AHAHAHAHA!!! Hey! this guy is gonna be a jet pilot. AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!111!!one!!! Let me guess, gonna do a couple years enlisted then get your credits up to go to fork and knife school?

I'm sorry, I'm sure you'll be a *snicker* pilot in the military.
Break your picks and crack your spades! Dig deep if you want to live!

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-03-2010, 21:03:37 »
M0t0M4n went with the CAP, mabbe you should too.