Author Topic: Black screen/startup problem  (Read 6422 times)

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
Black screen/startup problem
« on: 31-08-2010, 19:08:28 »
I have had trouble with this game/mod for the last month or so.

first off here are my specs

asus a8nsli deluxe mobo -  ive tried 2 different ones.   updated to most current bios
amd dual core 4200 +  -I have swapped out everything but the proccessor in this setup
ram -  2 gigs corsair ddr 400 - ive tried many different combos, hyper x, more corsair, less corsair....
vid card - evga 9800 gtx+
2 different hard drives, current one is brand new, and old one is now storage
currently windows xp sp3 -  but have had win 7, and windows xpsp2 previously installed on old hard drive.
MONITOR IS 24 INCH SCEPTRE LCD  1920X1200 60hz.

Here we go...

So i had been playing fh2 alot lately since the latest release came out, on my old system (not gonna type it out)     I decided to get the lcd monitor to ease my aging eyes...

I also got a different computer parts to upgrade.. (listed above)

so finished the upgrade build, had win 7 on it at the time. took it home and everything was working great!  played probably 3 nights worth,  about 6 hrs or so...    then the last night about 1.5hrs into it, i get a blue screen of death... most likely from the failed chipset fan (common problem with these mobos)     and thats where my nightmare began!

even on the freshly installed xpsp3 on a new hard drive, i install bf2,  3cd version..  restart comp.  install 1.41(downloaded 2 different times)  restart comp.  install 1.5 (downloaded 2 different times)  restart comp.   install 2.26 p1 & p2 (downloaded 2 different times)  restart computer

sometimes fh will open up on desktop icon,  but will only let me play single player.  sometimes is wont even open up. it will just go black screen.  sometimes it will crash bf2.exe alltogether...

i try opening up from the bf program file icons,  sometimes it will load up bf2,  and i can play that (like last night, played a couple rounds of blue pearl?  hated it)   sometimes that wont work either.  sometimes it lets me play fh singleplayer (but that sucks too, bots are no fun to kill)

the most common occurance is it stays black screen and i have to ctrl alt delete to close bf2.exe  to get it to go back to desktop...

i have uninstall/reinstall  about 10 times,  each time hoping this would be my trip home..  but alas  no deal.

i have sent in numerous bf2crash reports,  fh2 crash reports...  etc....

« Last Edit: 18-09-2010, 15:09:19 by Thorondor123 »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Grrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: 01-09-2010, 08:09:56 »
That sounds like a firewall problem. Be sure that your windows XP firewall is set to allow the BF2.exe and the FH2.exe to access the internet.
Another thing you could do is set the game to play in windowed mode by adding "+fullscreen 0" without the quotes in the short-cut to FH2. A will should pop up in the background giving you more feedback on the type of error that you are experiencing.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-09-2010, 11:09:19 »
made sure fh2 and bf2 are on the windows firewall exceptions list...

found a way for bf2 to start up,  actually was online playing a round (hated it)   quit bf2 the correct way...

tried fh2,  and it made it all the way to multiplayer server screen and when i clicked to join, it dumped me back to desktop with bf2 crashed report or not to fh...

now it wont do anything but go to black screen  any of the paths to the games... icons etc...

bf2.exe gave exitcode: 00000001
bf2.exe gave exitcode: 0000002a
bf2.exe gave exitcode: c0000005
bf2.exe gave exitcode: 00000063

those are from the fh2 txt file, heres an example....

fh2.exe -- starting log
IsFirstInstance? Yes
MoveIntoPlace: executing task 'move aside vanilla shader cache'
Moving 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/cache' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/cache-vanilla'... Failed (2).
MoveIntoPlace: executing task 'move in fh2 cache'
Moving 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/cache-fh2' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/cache'... Failed (2).
MoveIntoPlace: executing task 'move aside mods/bf2 shader cache'
Moving 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/mods/bf2' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/mods/bf2.tmp'... Done (0).
MoveIntoPlace: executing task 'move in mods/fh2 shader cache'
Moving 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/mods/fh2' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2/mods/bf2'... Done (0).
MoveIntoPlace: executing task 'move aside vanilla shaders'
Moving 'mods/bf2/shaders_client.zip' to 'mods/bf2/shaders_client.zip-vanilla'... Done (0).
MoveIntoPlace: executing task 'move in fh2 shaders'
Taking a backup of 'mods/fh2/shaders_client.zip' to 'mods/fh2/shaders_client.zip.backup'... Done (0).
Moving 'mods/fh2/shaders_client.zip' to 'mods/bf2/shaders_client.zip'... Done (0).
MoveIntoPlace: executing task 'move aside warning video'
Moving 'mods/fh2/movies/warning.bik' to 'mods/fh2/movies/warning.bik-disabled'... Done (0).
Starting profile processing...
Found a profile directory here: 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001', processing...
Cleaning up any old FH2 controls in Vanilla controlmap: 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Controls.con'...
Moving 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Controls.con.tmp' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Controls.con'... Done (0).
Moving 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Controls.con' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Controls.bf2'... Done (0).
Moving 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Controls.fh2' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\KEVINOS\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\Controls.con'... Done (0).
Execing 'bf2.exe +modPath mods/fh2 '
Waiting...
bf2.exe finished. Clearing up...
bf2.exe gave exitcode: 00000001

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-09-2010, 11:09:13 »
should also mention i tried installing bf1942 and it installed ok  but does the same blackscreen crash...   an  EA programing issue?

installed sof2  really old game  and it worked.. ghost recon worked...

ill try bfvietnam later today..  but im guessing since its ea, ill get blackscreened :)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-09-2010, 11:09:25 »
Ah it seems that your vanilla shader cache is either corrupted or missing. You could reinstall BF2 from scratch (you don't need to restart the PC after every patch). Then start BF2 at least once, load a map till you're in game, then quit correctly and then start FH2.

Edit: That is at least what I read from the error log, but the black screen really hints at a firewall problem which is odd. The EA Masterservers are up and running again today, so the problem on that side should have gone by now. How up to date are your drivers?
« Last Edit: 01-09-2010, 11:09:19 by N24Reporter »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-09-2010, 17:09:52 »
Ah it seems that your vanilla shader cache is either corrupted or missing. You could reinstall BF2 from scratch (you don't need to restart the PC after every patch). Then start BF2 at least once, load a map till you're in game, then quit correctly and then start FH2.

Edit: That is at least what I read from the error log, but the black screen really hints at a firewall problem which is odd. The EA Masterservers are up and running again today, so the problem on that side should have gone by now. How up to date are your drivers?

First off thanks for helping me!!!

My drivers are up to date, had to redo them when i replaced mobo's...  twice....
I figured I didn't need to restart after every patch, but since the other 8 or 9 times I have uninstalled and reinstalled didn't work, I would try that.  when I uninstall I do it as complete as I can. bf2 uninstall,  then I do searches for the word bf2  and then the word fh2.  delete all the files it finds..  then do a registry cleaning..   one strange thing is that fh2 is never in my programs list in add/remove programs.. is that normal?  I thought it used to be in that list as well? It shows up when I click start programs,  but its never in the add/remove programs!?!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-09-2010, 06:09:30 »
First off thanks for helping me!!!

My drivers are up to date, had to redo them when i replaced mobo's...  twice....
I figured I didn't need to restart after every patch, but since the other 8 or 9 times I have uninstalled and reinstalled didn't work, I would try that.  when I uninstall I do it as complete as I can. bf2 uninstall,  then I do searches for the word bf2  and then the word fh2.  delete all the files it finds..  then do a registry cleaning..   one strange thing is that fh2 is never in my programs list in add/remove programs.. is that normal?  I thought it used to be in that list as well? It shows up when I click start programs,  but its never in the add/remove programs!?!

No worries that's what the forum is for.
Did you delete your BF2 Folder under /my_documents/my_games/battlefield2/ as well?
FH2 uses an installer but it just decompresses files into your bf2/mods/ folder and copies a FH2.exe file into the main folder so the devs never deemed it necessary to write a registry entry for it. It could well be that you never really updated your faulty FH2 version if you only uninstalled bf2 via the uninstaller and then reinstalled it in the same path. Did you delete your bf2 installation path as well?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-09-2010, 07:09:27 »
yeah, i deleted everything on my computer that had the word bf2 or fh2 in it.. 

so i got home from work tonight,  still not working,  i used the bf2 uninstall from the cd.  and didnt bother deleting any other files than what it did on its own.

then reinstalled bf2,  1.41,  1.5,  fh2  parts 1&2.

restarted computer  only once ;)      tried with fh2 icon on desktop =  black screen..

went to start all programs, fh2  = loaded fh2..  so i played some single player,   everything working great...    decided to try my luck at multi  player and it worked, i played a few rounds on wolf.. had no issues at all.. 

disconnected from wolf,   then went to quit fh2  and it crashed durring the quit..

im going to try fh2 again..  desktop  first,  then other one....

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-09-2010, 07:09:10 »
Hmmm a short question, are you now back with Win7 or WinXP SP3?

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-09-2010, 07:09:02 »
xpsp3

so now just a few minutes since my playing fh2,   desktop fh2 - blackscreen

start all programs fh = black screen

start  recent programs list =  fh2 opened up,  got to multiplayer tab, but while servers were auto refreshing   it totally locked my computer up, had to restart....

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-09-2010, 07:09:09 »
now all 3 previous starting places = black screen

opened up program files, eagames, bf2 and tried going in through that fh2 icon,  and it crashed back to desktop  and asked if i wanted to send a report..

i must have some sneaky bug that keeps moving around....

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-09-2010, 08:09:12 »
What exactly do you mean by 3 starting places? The icon on the desktop and the exe in the game folder, but what is the third one you use?

You are running WinXP SP3 as admin aren't you?

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-09-2010, 08:09:47 »
desktop is one,  start all programs fh2  is another starting point,  start recently used programs is another, and all the way inside the bf2 program folder is another fh2 starting point..

sorry if that confuses you.. i would love to only have to use the desktop one...  but if that doesnt work i move on to the other options  :)

yes xp sp3  i am admin,  there arent any other profiles or users...

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-09-2010, 09:09:33 »
just tried again,  first using desktop icon..   was black screen for a few seconds then kicked into fh2..  online worked too, i joined 762 server to test a bit,  all my settings were the same,  but i had to optimize again, even though my settings were the same....

all ran smoothly once loaded (took long time due to optimizing.....)

and this time didnt crash when i disconnected or quit fh2

this is weird!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-09-2010, 09:09:01 »
Ah ok, those are all shortcuts pointing to the same file, so it shouldn't make a difference.
Have you already tried this:
Another thing you could do is set the game to play in windowed mode by adding "+fullscreen 0" without the quotes in the short-cut to FH2. A will should pop up in the background giving you more feedback on the type of error that you are experiencing.

You can add this to the shortcut by rightclicking on it and then under properties/shortcut you enter that +fullscreen 0 to the run under Target after the exclamation marks ("). It should then read: ...BF2.exe" +Fullscreen 0
« Last Edit: 02-09-2010, 09:09:07 by N24Reporter »