Author Topic: New maps made as variations of the old ones  (Read 703 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
New maps made as variations of the old ones
« on: 25-06-2019, 15:06:01 »
It has recently come to my attention that FH2 features a few maps depicting locations where the battles spanned several months, sometimes even years.

Over the course of that time the battlefield often changed significantly, new units were brought to the front, as well as new equipment.

One notable example in FH2 is Siege of Tobruk. The map is not a very loveable one, because it features a frontal assault against very well prepared defensive lines. Leading to a very unique flavour of constantly being bombed by artillery and tactically retreating for the defenders.

I would like to suggest making a  variation of this map with reversed roles.

The Australians were eventually relieved in their trenches by, between others, the Poles, several months after the battle depicted in FH2.

Their uniforms can basically be made by reskinning the current British North Africa uniforms.

I suggest making it a night map focused on close quarters trench fighting. For example make the Italians dug in on the opposite side and maybe even an Objective mode map where the Poles need to destroy some radios in enemy territory?

It would be a welcome change from the currently often hated Africa maps with nowhere to hide from the "laser guns" from the sky.

It seems to me this kind of map should take less time to make as most of the assets and statics are already there, just need to strike a good layout for interesting gameplay.

What do you guys think? Opinions, suggestions are very much welcome!

References:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Independent_Carpathian_Rifle_Brigade
http://www.polandinexile.com/icrb.html
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: New maps made as variations of the old ones
« Reply #1 on: 25-06-2019, 16:06:50 »
As a Pole I'm against reusing old 2.0 map as it is a rather cheap move IMO (Poles thought against Italians in different sector), unless you are suggesting a completely new map to portray that properly, then I'm all for it. I was actually thinking about it, as it should be a fairly easy map to make indeed, but I was convinced people would hate another African map (and another Tobruk to add to that!).

I'm kinda surprised you suggested it  :o
« Last Edit: 25-06-2019, 16:06:12 by jan_kurator »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-06-2019, 18:06:02 »
As a Pole I'm against reusing old 2.0 map as it is a rather cheap move IMO (Poles thought against Italians in different sector).

Fair enough but given current manpower issues I'm certain many would happily overlook this "slight" inaccuracy.

Besides, how many variations of "defensive rings in mostly flat desert" can you think of?

I was actually thinking about it, as it should be a fairly easy map to make indeed, but I was convinced people would hate another African map (and another Tobruk to add to that!).

I believe people hate Africa maps because they're open, often bland looking and tanks and planes absolutely dominate them. Let's face it most people in FH2 play infantry, whether by choice or by force. And infantry fights are often boring in Africa. I'm sure people wouldn't mind a slightly more infantry focused Africa map ( but not a shoebox level like Tunis )

And why are you surprised exactly? I love most of the Africa maps and absolutely adore seeing often underrepresented nations featured in FH2  ;)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-06-2019, 18:06:10 »
Fair enough but given current manpower issues I'm certain many would happily overlook this "slight" inaccuracy.

Besides, how many variations of "defensive rings in mostly flat desert" can you think of?
FH2 is about the opposite though. We do not overlook inaccuracies, we're trying to represent stuff as real as possible, so it's either done properly, or we not all. Polish sector wasn't flat btw, Poles manned positions similar to the ones that are portrayed in Siege of Tobruk, though Italians were entrenched on a hill infront of them, sperated from Polish troop by small canyon (it was the Tobruk's far western flank).

I'm not sure if you understand current mapower issues btw, you seem to think there are no mappers left and we need some half assed solutions to introduce new content into the mod. Truth is, current development is focused on Eastern Front, and then a completely new front that will follow. No one wants to "waste" their time on NA at this point, no matter how easy making such map would be.