Author Topic: Mobile Artillery Idea  (Read 9470 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile Artillery Idea
« Reply #30 on: 26-07-2010, 11:07:22 »
Is it possible to make a dynamic version of the current one? It doesn't use 0-0 as the aim for the spots, but rather it gives you real aims i.e if you spot, a red line or something appears on the dial's Absicca and ordinate, so you need to simply move the gun in the right general direction and fine-tune it to find the red lines as your '0-0'

Also, the dials move as the vehicle does to keep it accurately aiming where-ever... Tied to the cannon ofcourse, so it doesn't matter if the vehicle is on level ground or not, the cannon's ofset will determine how the dial moves to return itself to its correct aim

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26-07-2010, 17:07:21 »
would be nice to have a indicator how leveled the arty is.

yep, I think this is not difficult too... could be a "placeholder" until better systems are devised.

or... could you mix "how levelness" with the dial/cross? That the cross would move to a different position of the screen if your vehicle is not level. So the 0-point of the dial is always aimed at the centre of the spot. (note: if I had to guess, this is too complicated for BF2)

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #32 on: 27-07-2010, 00:07:02 »
would be nice to have a indicator how leveled the arty is.

I thought I already posted in here....Hmmm...  Well anyhow if BF2 can read how a vehicle is rotated then this should be easy to make work.  Just a wee bit of behind the scenes math and it is done without needing to bother the player with other dials.  Barrel needs to be at 70 degrees to strike the center of the arty cam.  The vehical is at a -5 degree downward slope.  Barrel needs to be at elevated to 75 degrees.  Profit.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline 9.Pz Kreuzer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27-07-2010, 20:07:42 »
Can't they just function like the portable mortars?
The difference is that you drive and park it instead of carrying it around  :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27-07-2010, 20:07:13 »
He does have a point there... Drive, hit something that causes it to entrench or whatever, fire, fire, unplug etc... but then I fear you'd ge tthe truck dissapearing or something if you dig in and don't fire before moving on

I want to hear the devs on this one:
As the vehicle moves, the dial keeps adusting to keep the values so that 0-0 will still work no matter how the vehicle is... like how a compass needle always points in one direction with the entire compass being what moves

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28-07-2010, 04:07:22 »
Can't they just function like the portable mortars?
The difference is that you drive and park it instead of carrying it around  :)

Amen,

press deploy button and Artillery is stuck into the ground until it is levelled for fire. It might look a little strange but so what,
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28-07-2010, 09:07:22 »
what about thw dynamix dial idea...?

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28-07-2010, 10:07:16 »
problem would be how to code that .

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28-07-2010, 11:07:41 »
Just a though. But you see how raising and rotating the gun cause the dials to move? How about that also happening with the whole carriage.

Rotate it has similar effect to woving just the gun, moving it foward adjusts the dials like gun elevation, as does the angle of the gun from driving through different elevation of terrain.

Offline 9.Pz Kreuzer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28-07-2010, 11:07:46 »
Simply undeploy and deploy for targets out of reach (side or behind) could also work, the only problem is that target spamming you get - you recieve a target, deploy, the the spotter die and you got a new one beside or behind and then he die... :-X
Solution to that would maybe be to stay far away from action on large maps, but then you lose the point of self-propelled artillery  :-\

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28-07-2010, 11:07:13 »
Just a though. But you see how raising and rotating the gun cause the dials to move? How about that also happening with the whole carriage.

Rotate it has similar effect to woving just the gun, moving it foward adjusts the dials like gun elevation, as does the angle of the gun from driving through different elevation of terrain.

We would need this soon for such things as the infantry support StuG, and frankly the Panzer IV infantry support tank... Let tanks play the roles they were really made for, right? Dial needs to another view ofcourse....I'd say this for howitzers too. You can't use them as direct fire weapons with that thing in their way

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28-07-2010, 17:07:13 »
Using the howitzers for direct fire support isn't that hard if you have a "sights" mode for them. People will know how to lob a HE shell into a window 2km away very soon... but if you have only the arty sight (that of a mortar), you can't even hit a guy right in front of you.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05-08-2010, 07:08:02 »
Ok, got it. Forget about the dial for orientation; a gunner can tell by minimap icon.

Change the elevation dial to represent distance, not just numbers, then mark the minimap also. Each grid and how many meters it represents.

To spot, the binocs will give a perspective as it does now. I say make it one from spotter's view. Simultaneously, the arty spiral warning you get for commander arty appears on the map once the gunner has that spot active. So all know to avoid that area. Also gives the gunner a sense of where on the map the spot is, so he needs only to adjust elevation based on his distance to target and orientation to it.
Switch target and the arty warning switches to that new target.

He can also fire at enemy spots ie the red enemy icons on the map.

Works for all arty imo. And allows gunners to fire in the dark, do basic calculations to represent more complex ones thus making them feel like badass arty crew if their aim is good. The arty warning also gives the gunner situational awareness to help him use descretion.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05-08-2010, 07:08:22 »
Someone finally got what I was triyng to say o:

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05-08-2010, 11:08:02 »
Ok, got it. Forget about the dial for orientation; a gunner can tell by minimap icon.

Change the elevation dial to represent distance, not just numbers, then mark the minimap also. Each grid and how many meters it represents.

To spot, the binocs will give a perspective as it does now. I say make it one from spotter's view. Simultaneously, the arty spiral warning you get for commander arty appears on the map once the gunner has that spot active. So all know to avoid that area. Also gives the gunner a sense of where on the map the spot is, so he needs only to adjust elevation based on his distance to target and orientation to it.
Switch target and the arty warning switches to that new target.

He can also fire at enemy spots ie the red enemy icons on the map.

Works for all arty imo. And allows gunners to fire in the dark, do basic calculations to represent more complex ones thus making them feel like badass arty crew if their aim is good. The arty warning also gives the gunner situational awareness to help him use descretion.

That sounded easy, but it would not really work if the target is of different elevation of yours. Arty trajectory is more than just distance...