Author Topic: Some possible coding error  (Read 1159 times)

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
Some possible coding error
« on: 22-01-2011, 09:01:15 »
Well, just make it quick

The green part, 83mmat55 is tank_120mm, but by simple calculation 83mm/cos55 is 144mm?

2,The KT, red part of the pic, is coded as tank_150mm, but shouldn't it be 150mmat50? Leads to 233mm.

Currently the blue part(tank_180mm) is stronger than the red part, I think there's some mistake.

And then the yellow part is just something like tank_120mm. I don't know, but shouldn't that part be the same as blue part? I mean other tanks' barrel don't have weaker material.
« Last Edit: 22-01-2011, 09:01:58 by kingtiger1891 »

Offline [QPS]_Sex_Bomb

• View Profile
Re: Some possible coding error
« Reply #1 on: 27-01-2011, 18:01:46 »
Is the deflection rate really hardcoded in tank models and isn't calculated real time in function of impact angle of projectile and armor plate?

If so, it explains why it is always easier to destroy a tank with a shot to the side, no matter the angle.

Offline Wilhelm

• Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-01-2011, 19:01:55 »
Is the deflection rate really hardcoded in tank models and isn't calculated real time in function of impact angle of projectile and armor plate?

If so, it explains why it is always easier to destroy a tank with a shot to the side, no matter the angle.

Yes, BF2 cannot distinguish the angle of impact meaning a glancing shot to the side at an extreme angle will still apply the full amount of penetration and damage.

That is the biggest issue.

Offline [QPS]_Sex_Bomb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-01-2011, 18:01:21 »
:o

If my memory is right, the good old bf1942 takes the impact angle in account.   I wonder why Dice choosed to let down this crucial feature, even more when you think that combined arms is THE trademark of the battlefield serie.

Shame on u Dice!

Offline Gunnie

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-01-2011, 19:01:46 »
BF2 does not take into account angle of penetration. We have gone through this before several times in the past. I am about to just give up and go find another game engine to mod. You guys are killing me and I feel as if I am just spinning my wheels.

If you arbitrarily inflate the entire area for mass of armor.. ie.. the entire front of a tank to try and take into consideration angles, thickness, etc. Then you have to model the collision mesh to be the exact replica of the tank areas that you are trying to give a specific property to.

ie.. Make it so that the cuts in the triangles/polygons match with the actual areas that you are trying to code to a specific value. This way you could apply the material to the exact area.

This is impractical and not something easily done. Therefore, armor values for a lot of the tanks are setup or were setup to be a value of the entire area in general.

If you notice on your tank picture.. You would understand that fenders and fender skirts are not 120mm thick, nor is the track underneath. If you want realistic values, then we should and could just code the parts more exact in nature so that when someone shoots the fender in the front, you lose half your health or just explode.  As that is a weak area of any tank.

Better yet, just make it so the shot passes through the fender and hits the weaker track then you lose half your health or explode. More realistic?   

However, we do not do that, as that would be just as unrealistic as well. Therefore, we take an average of it all and do the best we can with what the game engine limitations give us.  Granted, it is not perfect and it will never be so. Each tank has a weak spot upon it. It is just how the game engine rewards or does not reward us.

Take for instance the shot trap underneath the mantle of the Panther. Weak spot. We reward the player who happens to shoot that area. Take the King Tiger. The gun mantle is the weaker link there and if you check the armor specks. Should be a little weaker to some degree than the rest of the armor in the gun area.

When I code up the armor values of the tanks. I use real world values and try to take into consideration thickness on a sloped angle as best I can, however, the triangles and polygons of the collision model, still dictate the best course of action as a whole.

These things are what they are. The game engine we work with is, what it is.

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-01-2011, 06:01:53 »
Well, this time is not too much about angle, we all know the engine doesn't count the angle of shots and we accept the fact, so the armor values used are base on general cases, which completely make sense. And let's forget the KT mantlet issue although I think that weak spot is weird, but that's just an opinion right? However the panther glacis plate is 80mm at 55 degree, and the KT glacis plate is 150mm at 50 degree, while in the code, they're just 120mm and 150mm each. Since there's no "angle" factor, I think a more general value is 80/cos55=140mm and 150/cos50=233mm?

Offline Rumia

• Apparitions Stalk the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-01-2011, 08:01:08 »
He is saying
Panther has 80mm front armor but coded as 120mm (angle is counted)
Tiger II has 150mm front armor but still coded as 150m (angle is not counted)

^current material settings are not based on an uniform standard

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-01-2011, 10:01:10 »
IMO even the panther thing has angle counted, there's still a big difference from 120mm to 80mm at 55 degree..