Author Topic: Variable Tank Speed  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
Variable Tank Speed
« on: 11-04-2013, 19:04:21 »
I was wondering if its possible to give tanks variable speed?  I was thinking that if you push the shift button, it would slow tanks, or other vehicles for that matter, to the same speed as running infrantry.  This would allow tanks and infrantry to work together.  Now tanks just rush ahead leaving infrantry with no cover and the tanks get ambushed.  This way they could advance and cover eachother, this would be most benefitual to assault guns, since they have no turrets and worked closely with the infrantry.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Variable Tank Speed
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2013, 20:04:26 »
Funny how the same threads repeat each year... and each year the devs conlude x is pointless to add because nobody would use it...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-04-2013, 20:04:47 »
I think it is possible, as the bike goes faster if you press shift.

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-04-2013, 20:04:07 »
Funny how the same threads repeat each year... and each year the devs conlude x is pointless to add because nobody would use it...
I searched for it before I posted so buzz off!  This IS the suggestion thread, so I WILL suggest my ideas.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-04-2013, 20:04:37 »
I searched for it before I posted so buzz off!  This IS the suggestion thread, so I WILL suggest my ideas.

Not trying hard enough I guess... took me 20 secs and two keywords "slow tanks" to find this...  ::) ;)

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=16374.0
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=1664.0

EDIT: Reading those old threads, I noticed something... Our beloved Devs actually listen sometimes... :o
« Last Edit: 11-04-2013, 20:04:59 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-04-2013, 20:04:05 »
Use a gamepad to play as a tanker, assign sticks to throttle. Problem solved. You can go from walking pace to full speed to crawling and from the top again.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-04-2013, 21:04:46 »
EDIT: Reading those old threads, I noticed something... Our beloved Devs actually listen sometimes... :o
Ah, you see... this thread served a purpose anyway ;)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-04-2013, 22:04:40 »
Use a gamepad to play as a tanker, assign sticks to throttle. Problem solved. You can go from walking pace to full speed to crawling and from the top again.

I was thinking of buying a pad just for this, anyone know how the tanking is with it? I imagine it could be pretty neat.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-04-2013, 23:04:55 »
I use it and its pretty fucking cool. Pretty accurate moves and you can move as much as you want without the need to move around your hand all the time as with using mouse. If you can find a cheap Gamepad with two axes and enough buttons go right for it! Only set backs is that you cannot use free cam ( at least i havent found a way) and assign some button to TS but that is fine for non tourney public play.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-04-2013, 09:04:16 »
Just a quick question as I never was good at console shooters at all. How do you mange to hit a fast moving target like running infantry with your coaxial mg? In consoles, you have that small auto aim that helps you to lock on target but I don't think that you have this in FH2. So, how do you do that? When I shoot on consoles, I always sway around the target (again, I am not good at all but I never saw precise, quick movements on consoles).
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #10 on: 12-04-2013, 11:04:51 »
I can adjust my speed. Formula 1 players would know. It's called tapping the accelerate key slowly, not pressing it all the time.  :P
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-04-2013, 12:04:08 »
I can adjust my speed. Formula 1 players would know. It's called tapping the accelerate key slowly, not pressing it all the time.  :P
I do this too, but it´s not as god as a key for slow driving. Your vehicle is shaking a lot and it looks weird.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-04-2013, 19:04:35 »
Just a quick question as I never was good at console shooters at all. How do you mange to hit a fast moving target like running infantry with your coaxial mg? In consoles, you have that small auto aim that helps you to lock on target but I don't think that you have this in FH2. So, how do you do that? When I shoot on consoles, I always sway around the target (again, I am not good at all but I never saw precise, quick movements on consoles).

This all comes down to tactics. Tanks are best used to deny a sector of the map to an enemy, as a supporting vehicle. Too often do they get wasted on suicidal charges into built up areas where they are sacrificed for little gain. The open country is a tanks best friend. To move around effectively undetected, always look for the low ground. Avoid silhouetting yourself on top of a hill. Paying attention to your surroundings, you can move into position while keeping a relatively low silhouette, and if your lucky you'll find a location with a clear field of fire and good cover and concealment for your tank.

Once you've moved into position, fire a few test rounds to range your shots, both with MG's and with your gun. Select some reference points for these. Find easily identifiable landmarks to shoot for, and score a hit on them, once you have done that, you will be able to fire at other objects that come on line with them. With a machine gun on the tank, this goes for trucks and infantry. If you already know how high to elevate the gun for a specific range, it becomes easy. Stick your gun out in front of the target, spray a burst, move to the next one.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-04-2013, 19:04:57 »
Thank you, Archimonday ;D Now that I re-read my text I see that one can misinterpret it pretty easily. I meant, how those gamepad people manage to this with their gamepads because I always felt that the movement of gamepads is rather sluggish and inaccurate in comparison to a mouse.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-04-2013, 20:04:41 »
actually the way tanks handle currently gamepad is better than mouse at least imo.