Author Topic: Will hip fire also works on M1919/mg42 in next update?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline ctbear

• View Profile
I saw the video for MG34 hip fire, I'd like to see those two also do the same thing

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
Re: Will hip fire also works on M1919/mg42 in next update?
« Reply #1 on: 07-03-2015, 04:03:28 »
I'm going to let you down lightly as I imagine there will be people ready to jump down your throat upon seeing this.

No - this isn't something that will be implemented. These weapons weren't fired from the hip or if they were it was extremely rare - it therefore doesn't represent a realistic use of the weapon. Portrayals of hip firing such weapons tend to be limited to 'reenactors' who want to look like Rambo, and films that want to portray soldiers as Rambo.

The truth of this act is that it would be highly inaccurate, impractical and wasteful. In reality these weapons were used by crews of between 2-6 men - only one of which would carry the weapon, the rest would carry ammunition, tripod, spare barrels, their own rifles, binoculars etc. In FH2 by selecting the machine gunner kit you are essentially taking on the role of 3 different men in real life.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-03-2015, 12:03:11 »
I'm going to let you down lightly as I imagine there will be people ready to jump down your throat upon seeing this.

No - this isn't something that will be implemented. These weapons weren't fired from the hip or if they were it was extremely rare - it therefore doesn't represent a realistic use of the weapon. Portrayals of hip firing such weapons tend to be limited to 'reenactors' who want to look like Rambo, and films that want to portray soldiers as Rambo.

The truth of this act is that it would be highly inaccurate, impractical and wasteful. In reality these weapons were used by crews of between 2-6 men - only one of which would carry the weapon, the rest would carry ammunition, tripod, spare barrels, their own rifles, binoculars etc. In FH2 by selecting the machine gunner kit you are essentially taking on the role of 3 different men in real life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzaKWuMj7os&feature=youtu.be&t=43s

:P

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-03-2015, 12:03:36 »
It's mainly a balance thing.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-03-2015, 13:03:11 »

Fair enough, but it is also true that the weapons could be rested on different objects when firing, not only in the prone position. I don't see how arbitrarily eliminating one way to use it because of "realism" warrants eliminating other ways of usage, certainly not because of "realism".

I believe the ability to deploy heavier weapons, even if visually in "thin air" would help with the current severely limited and unsatisfactory gameplay that the MGs now offer. Just doing what FHSW did would be an improvement, in the deployed position a player can't move, and there's a small animation/deviation delay while deploying. That way it will mostly get used correctly... Don't know how possible it is to limit movement in BF2 but at least huge deviation jumps would make it useless for Ramboing...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-03-2015, 16:03:18 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzaKWuMj7os&feature=youtu.be&t=43s

:P
A nice example which shows that 99 out of 100 times the MG was used in crews of at least 3 men, thanks for posting  :P

Offline ctbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-03-2015, 06:03:58 »
It actually works.................MG42:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B57dW3A-DT0

M1919:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolF3NnezTU

M1919 use the same ammo as BAR right? So I guess hip fire does work on it, not a hard thing, and it has slow ROF which can made it much easier to control

Offline TheSpectre

• I will h(a)unt you down
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-03-2015, 18:03:39 »
I also think that this is mainly a balance issue. as seen in the video above you can very well do it, and even if it was used that way in 1 out of 1000 cases, it was still possible and, even if extreme rarely, used that way.

I think the balance issue could be easily handled with on paper.
Give it another weaponslot like the bar has for hip and tripoad.
Add a 2 seconds build up time to simulate the soldier going in and out the right stance for hipfire when switching the weapon slots.
This will make him immobile and therefore exposed to aimed fire.
Round it up with an adequat level of inaccuracy.More or less accurate burts burst up to 70 yards like mentioned in that video sounds reasonable.
What also helps versus abuse is limiting it to a 3/4-round burst in which shots 2-4 are considerably less accurate than the first one.
That and the fact that you wont have an ironsight will make sure there wont be any mid to lang range abuse. Expect for "tryhards" who would put a small dot onto the middle of their screen. Which you also could counter with a random deviation for the first shot that is alsways slightly around the point you really are aiming at.

Anyway after such a long pause ("North Africa times") i couldnt care less about these things. I'm so happy i can enjoy the best mod ever created (after dota :D) with or without hipfire from mg42s! :D
« Last Edit: 10-03-2015, 18:03:18 by TheSpectre »

Offline ctbear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-03-2015, 04:03:13 »
I like DOD's machine gun system, hip fire caused extreme high recoil, but still be well used in emergency combat, no need for prone first than fire
I also think that this is mainly a balance issue. as seen in the video above you can very well do it, and even if it was used that way in 1 out of 1000 cases, it was still possible and, even if extreme rarely, used that way.

I think the balance issue could be easily handled with on paper.
Give it another weaponslot like the bar has for hip and tripoad.
Add a 2 seconds build up time to simulate the soldier going in and out the right stance for hipfire when switching the weapon slots.
This will make him immobile and therefore exposed to aimed fire.
Round it up with an adequat level of inaccuracy.More or less accurate burts burst up to 70 yards like mentioned in that video sounds reasonable.
What also helps versus abuse is limiting it to a 3/4-round burst in which shots 2-4 are considerably less accurate than the first one.
That and the fact that you wont have an ironsight will make sure there wont be any mid to lang range abuse. Expect for "tryhards" who would put a small dot onto the middle of their screen. Which you also could counter with a random deviation for the first shot that is alsways slightly around the point you really are aiming at.

Anyway after such a long pause ("North Africa times") i couldnt care less about these things. I'm so happy i can enjoy the best mod ever created (after dota :D) with or without hipfire from mg42s! :D

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-03-2015, 09:03:19 »
I don't think the hip fire would be a problem, if the gunner is big (strong) enough... and the German player models are quite beefy.

https://youtu.be/O5MAg5feoUQ?t=9m3s
« Last Edit: 12-03-2015, 09:03:19 by nysä »