Author Topic: Bot Ratio  (Read 9143 times)

Offline Stryker

• The Local Noob
    • View Profile
Bot Ratio
« on: 24-08-2010, 01:08:47 »
I recently tried to start a local co-op game because punkbusters being a female dog, I se the bot ratio to 60, and for some strange reason all the bots are on the other side. Is there a specific ratio you have to use? And number of bots clearly says 48, yet there are only 31...
« Last Edit: 24-08-2010, 02:08:54 by Beanman1134 »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Bot Ratio
« Reply #1 on: 24-08-2010, 04:08:37 »
The ratio toggle is broken - has been since bf1.5. Try using the toolkit or change the value from the file... Need help with the path and name - someone?

The DL for the toolbox is in the DL sticky for Alam Halfa.

Once you set the number of bots, you need to adjust the Ratio toggle ingame to prevent allied bias.

Set ratio to 64 if you are playing 64 bots to restore numbers to 50:50 with total bot count toggle set to 48.

Hold all else ie. 48 bots, and move the ratio to 96 to get 50:50 for 96 bots as set in the toolbox.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-08-2010, 22:08:28 »
If you don't want to deal with editing files or downloading something additional, you can set the 'number of bots' slider to 32 and the 'Bot Ratio' slider will work as intended.

If you want more than 32 bots you can either do what Djinn suggested, or you can go directly into the 'fh2' files open up the 'AI' folder and open the 'aidefault.ai' file in notepad and change the 31 in the line 'aiSettings.setMaxNBots 31'  to whatever number you want. Of course the more bots you have running around the map the more computing power is going to be needed. So, be aware of what your computer can handle.

I tend to use 47 bots with the 'number of bots' set at 48. That way the ‘bot ratio’ slider works as intended. Any more or less bots,  you're going to have to fiddle with the 'number of bots' slider and 'bot ratio' slider until you find the balance you want. As djinn said the system has been broken since bf2 1.5 patch.

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #3 on: 01-09-2010, 17:09:57 »
Hm, for some reason it don´t works what you told here Remdul. If I modify the aidefault.ai that way to tld nothing happens, and if I modify it that way, how it stands in the file it doesn´t work neither.

So here the question: I want to play together with a friend FH2 over LAN. What have I to modify to get 62bots+2humans ingame by altering the aidefault.ai?
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-09-2010, 20:09:58 »
There are 2 'aiSettings.setMaxNBots' lines in the ‘aidefault.ai’ file. Make sure you are editing the second one. Editing the first one does nothing, might even cause a crash. Dice was nice enough to contain an explanation of how to get more bots in the ‘aidefault.ai’ file itself.

rem To spawn more than 15 bots in SP, use the following lines instead of the three lines above.
rem Note that this is totaly unsupported, it will affect your system's performance
rem and may even crash your game. That being said, you will most likely be able to run a lot
rem more bots than 15 on your system.

You want to use the lines below that explanation. You can also modify the bots difficulty there by changing the 'aiSettings.setBotSkill' line to anything between ‘0.1’ and ‘1.0’. ‘1.0’ being the hardest, but they tend to be unfairly actuate at that level.

If you are editing the second set of lines and it's still not working, than I'm not sure what the problem is. That's the only way I know how to get more bots, and I've never had any problems with it. Make sure there are no typos and or maybe your computer just can't handle that many bots, but I doubt that’s the case.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-09-2010, 22:09:07 »
If you start a coop server its basically the same as singleplayer, only more people can join and you can set the "ratio" of allied vs axis. Look in the file ServerSettings.con in your documents/battlefield2/profiles folder.

Code: [Select]
GameServerSettings.setCoopBotRatio 50
GameServerSettings.setCoopBotCount 16
GameServerSettings.setCoopBotDifficulty 50
GameServerSettings.setAutoBalanceTeam 1

So here the question: I want to play together with a friend FH2 over LAN. What have I to modify to get 62bots+2humans ingame by altering the aidefault.ai?

Try to set the values to 2, 64, 99 and balance to 0.
This should give you a horde of fanatic bots to kill :)

Note: this is not meant to give you more than 64 players max ! Only for setting team ratio.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline 4Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-01-2011, 12:01:24 »
When I tired to make the changes above to increase the bots in SP it didn't work for me.  I tried creating the co-op and ended up with just me in the game??

Switching back to creating an SP game, as that's the one I want to increase bots on.  when I changed the FH2 defaultai as per the earlier post I ended up with fewer bots (scratches head) not more!.   I actually ended up with 8 players aside instead of the origjnal 16 aside SP match (32 players total).  Dont know how that happened so went back to the original ai file.  

Following Remick04 post - to be clear - you need to change the lines that follow after the REM comments - is that correct?, not the 3 lines that come before?  The comment reads - "rem To spawn more than 15 bots in SP, use the following lines instead of the three lines above."  - that suggests you need to replace the lines above which didnt work for me.  I'll try chnaging the lines below next but I'm sure they were already set to 64??? and that was only gcreating a 16 aside match.  Sorry for the confusion on this just want to get it working correctly.

If I can only increase the bots by creating CO-OP game how do I go about doing that exactly and do I need to download the server files as well as the client files?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 05-01-2011, 12:01:28 by 4Edge »

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-01-2011, 13:01:34 »
Djinn said that the ratio sliders are broken since BF2 1.5. So you have to change them via the config files and make sure that you don´t use the sliders in game anymore or they get overwritten again. Maybe you even need to make them read only to prevent overwriting.

Also make sure you edit the right serversettings.con file; I got one in profiles\default and another in profiles\001; the 001 is used in my case (see profiles\Global.con)..
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-01-2011, 20:01:48 »
What happened is this. The slider has been set to 48 bots so once bots are 47 or less (48 when with player), the slider should work fine.

BUT
The aidefault.con in ai folder for fh2 is set to 31 (32 when with one player). This descrepancy is the issue.

Setting it to 47 fixes that.

If you want more than 48 players, you are going outside what Dice wanted, so you need to bias it by adjusting the ingame toggle after setting the bot count in aidefault.con

Since 48 is the normal i.e almost 50, adjustment is easy.

64 bots at 50:50 ratio needs the slider to be at aproximately 64 to restore.

The max bots you can have is about 100. Even if you dont care for balance, the squad names run out, so you would get extra bots, including players not getting squads.

The aidefault.con needs to be fixed by the devs to agree with the ingame slider ie. Set to 47 rather than 31.

Offline 4Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-01-2011, 16:01:34 »
The above makes sense.  I eventually got 96 bots working once I corrected the aidefault.con (second set of lines) as instructed.

Don't know if I had it balanced or not but with 96 bots its one hell of a firefight! 

Quad CPU was at approx 21% load and handling it fine on full everything but my gfx card struggled slightly for brief seconds of intense explosive action - great fun though.  Have shwitched back 64 but might take it back down to 48 so the slider works ok as described above.

On Villers Bocage, the ally bots all rush for the tanks then get stuck trying to negotiate the first hedge - not so clever - shame as its a nice map.

I didn't appreciate the effort that had been put in by various devs to get SP to where it is - thanks guys,  its well worth it.

Gets my my vote for mod of the decade  ;)

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-01-2011, 17:01:53 »
Didn't appreciate?.... or did :P

I'm glad you figured out how to change the number of bots. It is really easy to do, but really hard to explain how to do correctly. I may set the default to 47 bots for future releases to avoid too much confusion.

Also if you havn't yet check out the SP downloads thread, it has some fixes to current maps, like Villers. If you have already downloaded the fixes and the bots are still getting stuck, then thats do to poor navigation skills of the bots which hopefully will be improved.

SP download thread --> http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=6539.0

Hope you continue to enjoy the game  :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-01-2011, 17:01:18 »

On Villers Bocage, the ally bots all rush for the tanks then get stuck trying to negotiate the first hedge - not so clever - shame as its a nice map.

There is a fix for this. Should be in the Singleplayer DL files. The Villers Bocage got an overhaul after the final build was finished, so it doesn't come with the Stock map, as does Lebisey and a few others. Find this DL and plug in the files (Its a dirty fix, I know... but note that its fixed in the next build), and tanks should be rushing through those hedgrows like a WW2 footage ;-)