Author Topic: wrt to WaW language censorship?  (Read 980 times)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
wrt to WaW language censorship?
« on: 10-11-2009, 03:11:38 »
 What if any, are the defined rules of the World at War server with respect to language censorship?

I must say that in all my time playing Fh2, I have never been more poorly treated or responded than I just was for asking a simple question that wasn't answered by the admins who were present. I asked "what are the baseline rules for keeping my language in order to meet the censor's warning? ( i got warned for saying "shit" )

no clear and defined response was made and instead I got kicked,

this conduct certainly reflects very poorly on WaW as there are other servers that are clear in their rules and have capable admins who can reflect the wishes of the server community. If there are WaW server rules, I would appreciate having them available and not subject to one man's discretion...

check your server logs to see my exact words but they certainly weren't worthy of being threatened with a ban, much less the other petty conduct the admins exercised. a little clarification on the matter could benefit the rest of the community, as they currently face the threat of bans for saying words like "ass"
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Zurich163

• View Profile
Re: wrt to WaW language censorship?
« Reply #1 on: 10-11-2009, 04:11:47 »
 Well, for starters, the warnings you got were automatic. The server picks them up in chat and then proceeds to reprimand that with a warning, no admin input needed.

Number 2, it clearly states in the server rules scrolling bar that foul language will not be tolerated, and that should set parameters enough for knowing what language you should use and what you shouldn't. We have a diverse community at WaW, with ages ranging  anywhere from 12 to 70 ( No I'm not joking). So to help everybody have an enjoyable gaming experience, we have set these rules (Although some are odd) to do such.

Thirdly, your words weren't what got you banned. After the admin in question repeatedly told you to drop the conversation all together, you continued to bring it up, constantly spamming the chat with complaints about it. Which resulted in the kick.

We have thousands of people come in and out of our server every week, and none seem to have a problem with keeping their language clean. If you don't like this rule you certainly don't have to play here. As stated before, we have the obligation to provide everyone an enjoyable gaming environment so this might mean implementing a few extra rules.

If you'd like to take this further, I'd suggest posting in our forums (instead of here), where we can bring this up to the admins in question and hopefully end this to where both sides will come out on top.

http://www.bfewaw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

« Last Edit: 10-11-2009, 04:11:15 by Zurich163 »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-11-2009, 22:11:19 »
 For clarification,
 I was not spamming chat and the auto censor was not on as people were being given !W (warning) from individual admins. (if you guys want re-print the text of last night and my innocence shall prevail.)

I was threatened in personal chat by the admin in question who said "all language is censored according to my tastes"

if I got a ban, then holy bullshit. I am 31 years of age and my language doesn't necessarily belong on Sesame Street but that doesn't mean that I curse like a merchant mariner.
 People got warnings for saying the word "ass" and for the purposes of clarification i asked for a baseline to work with and no real baseline was given.

One admin said it was "his discretion only" and the other said "anything I couldn't say in front of the wife and kids."

So which one was it??

Admittedly WaW can get a little douche-like at times but for the interest of all public players who happen to join, a little clarification would be appreciated with respect to your server rules and enforcement by its' members.

With only one server on average to access in North American hours, having some junior banning people for using Disney swear words does little to help keep the FH2 alive in our neck of the woods.

This matter can not be taken private, as it is in the public interest to know the official rules of WaW and their expectations of conduct. If they have no interest in publishing their rules, then what reason do they have being part of FH2?

"WaW, Go back to being a private server if you cannot tolerate public players..."
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline [WaW]SoldierFH2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-11-2009, 22:11:56 »
    Official public server rules
WaW Public Server Rules

Welcome to the World at War Public Server

Here you will find the rules for our server that are valid when it is in public play mode.

Quote:
What WaW is:
World at War is a tournament-style campaign game for Battlefield 2 Forgotten Hope 2. Unlike a clan ladder or other online tournament, World at War players will participate in a simulated war, complete with commanding officers, divisions, and a grand strategy map showing the progress of the war from week to week. Think of it as a cross between a strategy board game and a first-person shooter, where you can immerse yourself in realistic WW2 environments and strategy.
We use our public server as our battle server on battle days and it will be passworded then. Only signed up WaW members will be able to participate.

Our public server is for serious play unless explicitly stated otherwise. If you want to mess around, start a local game on your PC.
The WaW-FH2 Public Server encourages Teamwork!

Key rules:
No smacktard behaviour.
No teamkilling or teaminjuring.
No camping (in- and outside) uncappable bases.
No profanity, swearing, or abuse.

Smacktard (acting like an idiot) behaviour of any kind will not be tolerated!

Your player name:
Names that are offensive to certain groups of people or names that entice people into arguments about religion and/or politics are not allowed.
Names cannot be blank, or shorter than 2 characters in length.
Names that purposely use punctuation to deceive people such as .. or , , , are not allowed.

Language:
Flaming or swearing both ingame or on Teamspeak WILL NOT BE TOLERATED regardless of language.
Saying sexually explicit, racist, discriminatory remarks are strictly forbidden while on our servers. This rule applies to your in-game name. This is strictly enforced and any attempts to bypass it by “purposely” misspelling racist and/or other words not allowed, are still in violation of this rule.

Basecamping:
Entering an uncapturable enemy base for any reason is forbidden, and will result in a warn/kick if its seen.
Camping an enemy main base(uncappable), from inside or out is not allowed. Plane and Arty attacks are allowed.
You may not kill players immediately as they spawn at an uncappable base.

Teamkilling:
Killing members of your own team beyond what may be deemed honest accidents or the result of fog of war.
Intentional Teamkilling for any reason is forbbiden. Accidental Tks should be apologized for.
The intentional attack of teammates or intentional destruction of any friendly vehicle, except in case where you wish to keep the enemy from capturing them, is forbidden.

Taxiing to vehicles:
Using vehicles for the sole purpose of driving to another vehicle.

Random acts of idiocy including without limitation:
throwing grenades at teammates, shooting planes which team members are entering, team killing for a vehicle, bombing your own spawn point repeatedly, parking a vehicle in front of plane or repeatedly taxing to planes, destroying your teams vehicles, etc. are forbidden

Abusing friendly vehicles:
Deliberately stealing a vehicle in use by a teammate whether or not they are in it at the time is forbidden.
Firing at or sabotaging a friendly vehicle because you did not get there first is forbidden.

Player conduct:
Swearing and flaming is not allowed in any way, shape or form.
Harassing a player is forbidden.
Do not idle on the server for more than 1 minute.

Cheats:
Glitching, bug exploitation, cheating, aim bots, speed hacks, wall hacks or other trainers are forbidden. PunkBuster is enabled!

Impersonations:
Impersonation of any member of WaW (players & admins) is forbidden.

In the WaW public server you are expected to listen to your teammates and work as a team. The following tactics are frowned upon:

'Stranding teammates': by taking a multi-person vehicle by yourself when others could use it as well (such as taking a landing craft and leaving your teammates behind).

Violation of Rules:
It is your responsibility to know and follow the rules. If you are unsure, leave the game and read up on the rules.
Proof of violations must be rendered in either screenshots or witnesses when reporting them to an admin. Continued accusations without proof is forbidden.[/list]
If you think you may have been engaging in one of the above activities when you were kicked, please do not take personal offense. Just start up your game and join in again, but make sure to follow the rules.

If you still do not know why you were kicked or banned, you can create a post in our forum thread about it or PM the respective admin that kicked or banned you.

You are responsible for whoever plays on your computer. This means that if your friend gets you banned while playing, we will not lift that ban. It is your obligation to make sure whoever plays on WaW servers using your computer, will play by the rules. No exceptions will be made.

BF2 Server Settings:

IP Address: 174.133.0.58

Rounds Per Level: 1
Round Time Limit [min]: 70
Round Score Limit: 0
Player Limit: 64
Ticket Ratio: 285 %
Spawn Time [sec]: 20
Man Down Time [sec]: 0
Start Delay [sec]: 50
Map Restart Delay [sec]: 20

Friendly Fire: 100%

All Voting disabled
External Views Enabled
Nosecam Enabled

Map Rotation
PunkBuster anti-cheat system enabled.
PunksBusted Master Ban List used.

World at War Utilizes the PunksBusted Auto-Master Ban List System.
If you are hacking on a streaming server you will also be banned from the World at War public server as well as the battle server.

Please see the PsB website (http://www.punksbusted.com) if you wish to appeal a ban.

There for everyone to see.

sheikyerbouti I was the admin who warned you multiple times to calm down and drop the subject. You were starting to insight other players to get engaged in the argument and the chat was getting extremely crowded. Again the rules are in place because of the age of some of the people in our community. Also, what is the point of cursing? I can see if you do it via teamspeak, or voip, or even ventrilo, but what is the need to type it out?

Like you said, your 31 years old. You should know what language is and isn't appropriate. I am 16 and without looking in a dictionary I can tell you the definition of profanity/curse words/bad language/foul language. The official server rules  is rotated throughout the server messages every 30-40 seconds as a link to the official rules thread, which is public for everyone to see.

To make matters worse you loaded back onto the server only to threaten us and leave. I play on all the other public servers and they have pretty much the same language policy as us.