Author Topic: Eyecandy: FH2 Update  (Read 28843 times)

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
Re: Eyecandy: FH2 Update
« Reply #90 on: 12-06-2011, 20:06:52 »
The film grain is really really subtle. It's barely noticeable during gameplay, because it changes every frame. It's more visible in static images for that reason. It also has a purpose. DXT compression and color correction causes slight 'banding', especially in clear skies. The grain hides this. It's also much less than in most games (L4D for example).

The grain also hides the nature of the temporal dithering on the blur.

Also, in the first image (the one with the C47s, is actually an old screenshot with twice the grain amount. I kept it in the update because it was difficult to reproduce in-game. It was just a random image taken at the right moment, I felt it was more honest than posing it.

Either way, our beta testers were really on top of things to ensure it won't negatively affect gameplay, so don't worry about it. Once you get used to it, you don't want to go back. It really adds much to the immersion.

thats good to hear, if it doesnt affect gameplay and it has been reduced from that screenshot then i cant wait :P, can you post a picture of the current effect in the same spot oas the c47 picture? just to show how it changed.

altrough the sniper scope picture kinda looks very granny too :P

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 12-06-2011, 20:06:02 »
Either way, our beta testers were really on top of things to ensure it won't negatively affect gameplay, so don't worry about it. Once you get used to it, you don't want to go back. It really adds much to the immersion.

I think you are right.

But on the other hand: people will judge what they see, and when they see a double blurred pic as first pic, they will judge in a bad way.
This has nothing to do with haters, flamers or whiners.

But its hard to get the real effect when the real effect is not shown.
 :)

What would rock on the other hand would be some pics from the same spot, with the old version, and the new version. Those gamemagazines make those to compare between DX10 and DX11 versions of games.

Offline Remdul

• Reverse Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Pie!
    • View Profile
    • ByteHazard
« Reply #92 on: 12-06-2011, 20:06:28 »
But on the other hand: people will judge what they see, and when they see a double blurred pic as first pic, they will judge in a bad way.
This has nothing to do with haters, flamers or whiners.
Well I could have taken 10 screenshots of the same scene, blended them together to average out the noise, but that's a lot more effort and we don't really do that kind of image trickery at FH. Our images look the way things really are. I wanted to show the FH2 artwork in it's natural beauty without faking anything.
« Last Edit: 12-06-2011, 20:06:15 by Remdul »

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 12-06-2011, 21:06:22 »
I like

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Yoghurt

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 12-06-2011, 21:06:25 »
Epic update! Can`t wait für 2.4.  :D

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 12-06-2011, 21:06:35 »
I keep looking at the pictures.. and I can't help it but it so reminds me of BC2/BF3. especially the desert pictures

*me gusta*

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 12-06-2011, 21:06:11 »
New graphics look so amazing... FH2 already surpassed vanilla bf graphics at the first day after it's realese but I just have compared new screenshots with some random bf2 ones and lol'd

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/15/14384/thumb_620x2000/screen003.4.png
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/screenshotsfh2/news/110612/fh2cc_05.jpg

This needs no comment  ;)

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 12-06-2011, 21:06:22 »
as others said before
still pictures dont make the new effects look as they do while playing, the grain becomes almost not noticeable. on "sunny" light maps you cant see it at all, on darker maps you can see it a bit more.

for me it affected gameplay a little, you can hardly see a guy under a tree in a shadow when he is not moving or firing.
so actual hiding & camouflage (or more like blending in with he terrain) is now much more effective.

besides that the maps just sooooo much better.  when we first tested some africa maps with this, many players didnt even notice the difference towards teh old versions because they haddnt played the maps in a long time.
some side by side pictures made brix be shat.

so dont prejudge the new effects before you have seen them ingame. specially since some of the pictures are quite old and the settings of the new effects are in constant change, depending on feedback to make them the best possible.

as for the snow effects, you will feel your willy shrinking and ballz freezing from the winter cold atmosphere.

edit:
the last pic of jan_kurator is a good example, the grain effect is way less obvious in the current build. that  picture makes it look very bad.
« Last Edit: 12-06-2011, 21:06:53 by Die Happy »
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 12-06-2011, 21:06:34 »
the last pic of jan_kurator is a good example, the grain effect is way less obvious in the current build. that  picture makes it look very bad.
Dude, I compared those screens to show how f*cking amazing are new effects. They look very GOOD imo!  ;D

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 12-06-2011, 22:06:19 »
Yea man great update to make me excited! Give me paaaaaaaatch!

O, one disappointment though, no new playermodel;(.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 12-06-2011, 22:06:41 »
idk, maybe a hd vid of a current map with the new effect to see how much it changes gameplay, im still doubtfull as it looks like and old movie.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 12-06-2011, 22:06:21 »
everybody seems to be noticing the grain but I can't help but love the color correction... there seems to be more contrast now, it gives it a really nice feel. The shadows stand out more, the bright sunny desert looks brighter and the overcast skys just look darker... idk I just kinda love the look of it. It all looks great to me 8)

anyone else love the color correction?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 12-06-2011, 22:06:07 »
For those who asked for screenshots comparing old and new graphics:

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/template/showscreenshot.php?type=fh2screenshot&imagename=Ramelle%20Neuville/ramelle_07.jpg
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/screenshotsfh2/news/110612/fh2cc_04.jpg
^
The shadows stand out more, the bright sunny desert looks brighter and the overcast skys just look darker...

Btw, I also love the color correction ;)

New graphics (contrast&grain) reminds me of enb series a little bit, but looks much better!
« Last Edit: 12-06-2011, 22:06:03 by jan_kurator »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 12-06-2011, 22:06:34 »
Yea man great update to make me excited! Give me paaaaaaaatch!

O, one disappointment though, no new playermodel;(.

The player model is new.

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 12-06-2011, 22:06:26 »
FH2? On par with games like Battlefield 3 and Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad? Oh hell yes, this is delightful.

Based on the new news, 2.4 will be well-worth the wait. I can imagine it now  :o

All hail the FH gods