Author Topic: Kangaroo  (Read 4492 times)

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

Kangaroo
« on: 29-03-2009, 18:03:00 »
I posted this in the temp forums but this is probably a better place. :)

It would be a cool vehicle for the canadians and even the british
Quote from: wikipedia
A Kangaroo was a World War II British or Commonwealth armoured personnel carrier (APC), created by conversion of a tank chassis. Created as an expedient measure by the Canadian Army, the Kangaroos were so successful that they were soon being used by British forces as well. Their ability to manoeuvre in the field with the tanks was a major advantage over earlier designs, and led to the dedicated APC designs that were introduced by almost all armies immediately after the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_(armoured_personnel_carrier)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Ram_Kangaroo_1_Bonvington.jpg

azreal

Re: Kangaroo
« Reply #1 on: 29-03-2009, 18:03:08 »
hmmm I thought Kangaroos were created from Priest guns...oh well would be a good vehicle to add IMO.

Offline Kebert Xela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-03-2009, 18:03:24 »
Priests and Rams, maybe even other vehicles?
« Last Edit: 29-03-2009, 18:03:40 by TDP_KillACola »

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #3 on: 29-03-2009, 18:03:33 »
there were a couple priests at first but it was mostly all the unused ram tanks after that afik.

Taranov

« Reply #4 on: 29-03-2009, 19:03:10 »
Not useful for Normandy - first Kangaroo used in october 1944.

Offline silian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-03-2009, 19:03:44 »
102 Priest's were converted into Kangaroo's in Normandy, these formerly served with the Commonwealth 'assault' divisions (the Infantry Divisions landed on D-Day), whose Artillery regiments were comprised only of Priests. However in late July '44 the Americans were facing a critical shortage of 105mm artillery shells, to ease the strain on the supply the three British and Canadian Infantry divisions operating Priests, replaced them with towed 25 Pounders, leaving a large number of Priests surplus to requirements.

Had it not been for the shortage of 105mm shells, it seems highly unlikely that the Kangaroo would've been created. As it was the Priest Kangaroo was vital in improving the mobility of the Commonwealth Infantry divisions, especially during the sealing of the Falaise pocket.

Aside from the Priest, and the aforementioned Ram tank conversions (IIRC produced in September '44 after the Priest's were returned to the Americans), Stuart's and Sherman III's (M4A2's) were converted into Kangaroo's too. The Sherman Kangaroo saw service only in Italy (where no Ram tanks were availible) alongside Priest Kangaroo's.

Taranov

« Reply #6 on: 29-03-2009, 19:03:44 »
Pries - yes, but not Ram Kangaroo ;)

Offline Fülke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-03-2009, 20:03:32 »
Massacre vehicle, when noobs fill it up and charge shooting up in the air with the machine-gun ::)

Biiviz

« Reply #8 on: 29-03-2009, 21:03:12 »
Massacre vehicle, when noobs fill it up and charge shooting up in the air with the machine-gun ::)

Same as all other vehicles.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #9 on: 29-03-2009, 21:03:09 »
I would love to throw a grenade inside those things.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-03-2009, 21:03:42 »
Whenever I see them, I think of a german soldier doing slam dunks into it with nades.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-03-2009, 21:03:29 »
I thought the general idea was "If it was in FH1, it will most likely be in FH2."  There were Kangaroos on the DICE Caen Map, but I'm not sure if they were DICE products or products of the FH Devs.

Regardless, I would like to see it ingame.  The more variety of APCs, the better.  Right now, I never see the Hanomags and Uni Carriers used for anything, especially not supporting fire.  Maybe if we got cooler APCs, more people would use them?

Offline Naga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-03-2009, 22:03:36 »
I don't see a problem with it, it has to be in anyway, because they'll make the M1Priest and all you have to do is pretty much remove the howitzer. Then code in several seats and some other thing's than that's it.

The tournament I am in, bfewaw, had the Kangaroo when we used a points system in purchasing equipment.

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-03-2009, 10:03:49 »
Looks like an interesting vehicle for a latewar map, if it was only used from 44 on. Though, with all the variation present in the late war vehicles, it might be better to leave it out for the sake of simplifying the map, and not overloading it.

I think I remember it from Caen. Jeez its been a long time. Was it only in the Dice version or the FH1 version too?

Offline silian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-03-2009, 12:03:58 »
I think I remember it from Caen. Jeez its been a long time. Was it only in the Dice version or the FH1 version too?

t'was converted by the devs from the DICE Priest, which was a post-war M7B2.