Author Topic: (FIXED) Problems with the Ju87 Stuka (and other aircraft) AI  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
I think I've fixed the "backwards bomb" visual bug caused by this fix, by adding invisible "launcher" objects in the same location as the bomb models, which act as the "barrels" for the bomb weapon. I think this means that bombs don't disappear from aircraft wings when dropped, but this isn't too noticeable when they're in the air (it's better than the bomb models being back-to-front, anyway  ;D )

I'll release a new version of my AI tweak mod soon, including the bomber fix as well as some other changes + tweaks to the AI, particularly tank shell + MG use.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Big favor here. Any chance of getting bots to use the divehorn? I know its not important at all. But it certainly would be icing on the cake. Pretty please.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
Big favor here. Any chance of getting bots to use the divehorn? I know its not important at all. But it certainly would be icing on the cake. Pretty please.

I'll definitely have a look into this (once I've released the next mini-mod version) though I'm not sure if it'll be possible. I'm not sure if there's any way to get the AI to trigger the dive horn at a particular point - since it uses the "afterburner" key, bots might be more likely to use it in situations where they'd have used the afterburner/speed boost in vanilla BF2.
One workaround might be to modify the Stuka sound scripts so that it automatically makes the dive horn sound when diving at speed (all BF1 aircraft had a Stuka-like dive sound, IIRC)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
What about making them use it similar to a 'need to fire' option - That is, the Stuka pilot assumes it needs to 'airbrake' once it starts a strafing run - or a decided attack on a target. Currently all it does is to pitch from its cruise altitude and if allowed to, fires bullets - Perhaps, if a combined logic regarding this attack strategy causes it to 'airbrake' it could turn of the siren

For fighters, they used to use airbrakes, thinking, I suppose that, like their Vanilla BF2 counterparts they were using boosters - For planes like the Hurricane, this made them almost drop from the sky and made them easy targets for artillery

I believe this was changed, so I'm not sure its hardcoded to to use 'airbrakes' or boost after an attack run - Perhaps it can be changed to use it before...

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
...One workaround might be to modify the Stuka sound scripts so that it automatically makes the dive horn sound when diving at speed (all BF1 aircraft had a Stuka-like dive sound, IIRC)
The AIX Stuka's divehorns work like that. They come on when the plane exceeds a certain speed, but to get them to work properly Clivewil had to raise the air density ceiling...

The Stuka sirens (properly named 'the Trombones of Jericho') are fully automatic and triggered by over-speeding; to function properly in a map, the map must have a raised air-density ceiling which is done by pasting 'physics.airDensityZeroAtHeight 5000' without the quotes, at the bottom of the map's init.con
Maybe that's how they worked in BF1?... :-\

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Wait. Is this a possible solution