Author Topic: WinSPWW2 Soviet Union campaign 1941-45 (summary in 1st post)  (Read 14775 times)

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
Re: WinSPWW2 Long campaign as Soviet Union
« Reply #90 on: 24-12-2013, 00:12:27 »
Any tonks still available? The heavier the better.

Right now here are the tanks we have available:

Tankette: T-27
Light amphibious: T-37a, T-38
Light: T-26 double turret (2 x DT or 1 x DT 1 x DHsk)
Obsolete: MS-1, Vickers Medium
Fast: BT-2, BT-5, BT-7, BT-7m
Fast artillery: BT-2a, BT-5a, BT-7a
Medium: T-26 1933, 1937, 1939
Flame: OT-130, OT-133
Heavy: T-28, T-35, KV-1 1939

« Last Edit: 24-12-2013, 00:12:28 by Christie.Front.Drive »
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 24-12-2013, 00:12:01 »
Kalkalashs and my men were actually pretty busy duing this battle. Horse genitals had to be compared and the HQ had to be impressed by how big they were. There was simply no time for fighting, this time!

Btw, will my unit be able to swap their horses for something armoured with guns, later? Not that my men don´t like their horses, but I fear they might start liking them too much, if you get what I´m saying. ;)
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 24-12-2013, 00:12:36 »
Cavalry is actually pretty useful ingame. same with motorcycle of bike troops.

• View Profile
Re: WinSPWW2 Soviet Union campaign (info in 1st post!)
« Reply #93 on: 24-12-2013, 01:12:12 »
Cavalry is actually pretty useful ingame. same with motorcycle of bike troops.

Yeah I love cavalry. Quick and amphibious and occasionally able to hold their own against regular infantry.

Kalkalashs and my men were actually pretty busy duing this battle. Horse genitals had to be compared and the HQ had to be impressed by how big they were. There was simply no time for fighting, this time!

Btw, will my unit be able to swap their horses for something armoured with guns, later? Not that my men don´t like their horses, but I fear they might start liking them too much, if you get what I´m saying. ;)

I know what you mean. I've spent enough time on farms to know if you're hanging around with horses on a hot day and there's no one around and there's two feet of thick horse cock just hanging there you can begin to have some strange thoughts. I can turn your force into a truck scout company or a mech scout company, riding into battle with T-20 Komsomolets (this is what I would do but it's your call)

Can we get a list of commanders and their respective ranks? Wonder how many we're at now. Eagerly awaiting the next update.
Yes, you should have a list in the first post that lists everyone, what they command and their kills and ranks.  Also their previous lives too.

I update the first post and I will add screenshots of everyone's stats in the next day or two.

Awesome reporting.
It's so great i downloaded the game to try it myself. They said to do the tutorial first with some stuff printed out next to me, i did the tutorial and didn't get too much of what i was doing  :P Maybe i should search that manual next time i try to play it. Another thing that happened is that the bar under in the windowsscreen disppeared when i pressed alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete. Anyone knows how to solve this (win vista)?

The manual is in your directory once you install the game, or you can download it here. It's a big learning curve but once you know the basics it's addictive as hell once you know what you're doing. If you want to learn I'd say read the manual a bit and then try some of the scenarios in the game and learn the basics.

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 24-12-2013, 13:12:03 »
I know what you mean. I've spent enough time on farms to know if you're hanging around with horses on a hot day and there's no one around and there's two feet of thick horse cock just hanging there you can begin to have some strange thoughts. I can turn your force into a truck scout company or a mech scout company, riding into battle with T-20 Komsomolets (this is what I would do but it's your call)
I guess that whole horse cock obsession is even worse during war time, when there´s practically no relief for the men. Besides, Finnland is a cold place, so that would lead to even more weird scenarios when the only source of warmth is your furry companion.
But I guess I´ll go for the T-20s, they sound like morally more safe alternatives. Besides, they´re cute as hell and I´ve got a bit of a weakness for tankettes.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 24-12-2013, 15:12:39 »
It's a big learning curve but once you know the basics it's addictive as hell once you know what you're doing.
I guess I better wait then till my exams are finished  ;D
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 24-12-2013, 17:12:51 »
I guess that whole horse cock obsession is even worse during war time, when there´s practically no relief for the men. Besides, Finnland is a cold place, so that would lead to even more weird scenarios when the only source of warmth is your furry companion.
But I guess I´ll go for the T-20s, they sound like morally more safe alternatives. Besides, they´re cute as hell and I´ve got a bit of a weakness for tankettes.

Okay, I changed your force in to a mech scout for for the 9th or 10th battle, I forget. Now they ride into battle on this:

It's a big learning curve but once you know the basics it's addictive as hell once you know what you're doing
I guess I better wait then till my exams are finished  ;D

I would definitely recommend it. But if you're patient it pays off in the end, great game and you can play in windowed mode while you're doing other stuff so it's good for when you're busy and just want to make the day go by faster.

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 24-12-2013, 17:12:33 »
The seventh battle in Finland was once more a delay, and many of the Soviet forces were beginning to doubt they'd live long enough to see another meeting engagement. Most of them were right.

Homer Jay's recce company had some horce races around the rear of the map, their task to protect the Soviet HQ from any Finnish breakthrough during what was sure to be a long battle.

Battleaxe's AA gun platoon was set up in ambush near the middle of the map and took out several Vickers tanks, their papier mache armor not up to the test of stopping even 37mm gun fire. In what was destined to be a much longer battle than the previous defense of the mountainside, a few men under Battleaxe's command suggested simply lobbing snowballs at the Vickers tanks to save their AP shells for real tanks that might show up, Finland having captured several Russian T-26 tanks.

von Mudra's AT gun battery was placed in tall grass towards the middle of the map and took out two Vickers tanks early in the fighting, working with Hjalrdgud's ski infantry company. And by "working with", I mean retreating at the first sign of trouble. Here you can see von Mudra's men, abandoning their guns and fleeing in terror:

Because of the dense woods and high morale of the enemy, flame tanks are often need to barbeque Finnish infantry. Here they worked hand-in-hand (and since none of the boys had been back to their wives and girlfriends in 4 months, occasionally hand-in-pants too) with LHeureux's conscripts company, the Meat Shield Division taking out with rifle fire and hand grenades any Finnish troops that had not been turned into ashes as the Khimicheskiy tanks set the countryside on fire:

In classic piece of strategy, Finland concentrated the majority of their forces in the southern sector where there were the fewest objectives. Musti's BT company and Fuchs' paratroopers had been ordered to guard the high ground there and fighting here was the most fierce that took place anywhere in the battle. Musti lost two tanks to close assaults with molotovs and satchel charges and Fuchs' too lost a dozen men, but they were able to hold the line sufficiently to prevent the dirty Finns from taking any land claimed by the glorious Soviet Union.

Jimi Hendrix had the kill of the battle, knocking out a Finnish Vickers 6s tank at 950 meters not with the 45mm tank gun but with the big ol' 76mm KT-28, and with a HE shell, no less. Serzhant Tankbuster claimed no tanks but helped out Fuchs' paratroopers with heavy fire support.

Most surprisingly and most happily, the best part of the battle was that the Soviet artillery began to come into it's own. Although outnumbered by the amount of Finnish guns and mortars available, the lazy troopers under the command of Oberst's 76.2mm divisional gun battery, Graf Radetzky's 107mm howitzer battery and Afterdune's combo rifleman/mortar force rained down fire on the attack fins with devastating effect, and most notably, learned to relocate after firing. After repeatedly losing 10-20 field pieces each previous battle and sucking up most of the scrilla allocated for force repairs, the Soviet artillery lost just 3 pieces: 2 82mm mortars and one of Born2Kill's rocket battery.

Hot damn, a marginal victory!

The Soviets could not be too happy, though. The eighth battle they knew would be an advance to gain ground in preparation to capture a key part of the forest, and they knew they would be on the offensive for most of the next few days..

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 24-12-2013, 17:12:34 »
I helped with Glorious Fire SUpport. I make the Motherland proud.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 24-12-2013, 17:12:30 »
Damn these flamethrower tanks reap through those forests!
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 24-12-2013, 18:12:14 »
Plokhaya Zadnitsa!!!!!

bad ass in russian

;D

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 24-12-2013, 18:12:52 »
How do you use your artillery? Do you have it set up in some sort of direct fire mode or do you use the bombarding option with spotters and so forth? Because I've never managed to turn artillery into an effective killing machine, unless there's a lot of it.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 24-12-2013, 19:12:20 »
How do you use your artillery? Do you have it set up in some sort of direct fire mode or do you use the bombarding option with spotters and so forth? Because I've never managed to turn artillery into an effective killing machine, unless there's a lot of it.

It depends on the battle.

For meeting engagements, advances, assaults, landings or river crossings (any battle where I'm on the offensive) I usually set my artillery up as far from the front as possible but keeping in mind the range of my guns. It can get tricky when some of the lighter stuff only has about a kilometer of range (50mm Russian mortar for example is just 800m). Don't underestimate smoke either, if you have to advance over an open space it helps to be patient, fire some smoke at the other end of the field and then halt your troops just behind the smoke, so they're ready to fire when the smoke clears.

For defensive battles, I still usually set up away from the front but sometimes it pays to set up your artillery in direct fire. Bear in mind it's not like FH2 where you can't direct fire mortars, you could do that in real life and you can do it in WinSPWW2 and it can be very effective: set up a battery of 107mm mortars in the woods overlooking a bridge the enemy is likely to use and if some juicy truck-laden infantry come rolling along, direct fire is going to be way more effective than plotting artillery the old fashioned way (because direct fire is accurate and instantaneous, while normal plotting of arty takes a few turns and is less accurate). Remember that it's worth firing a few mortar shells at tanks even if they are unlikely to damage the vehicle (although they can of course), because sometimes the tank has a sniper or a rifle platoon or a desant team or something riding on it, and you can destroy and rout that infantry squad even if you do no damage to the tank.

Fields guns are underrated in direct fire as well, and work nicely as emergency anti-tank guns. They aren't tremendous but our force has 76.2mm, 107mm and 122mm cannons and howitzers, all three of which can go through 20-30mm of armor, blow off tracks, break the main gun on the tank, etc. Even if you aren't doing damage, you pound an enemy tank thirty times in five minutes with shells like that and they're going to fall back. Forward observer teams and vehicles are better at calling artillery in than normal troops, but remember they are expensive and they aren't for fighting. Spot and run.

I'm assuming you're playing your own campaign on WinSPWW2? One thing I learned on their forums that's important is that relocating your artillery after it fires: if you do a battle right now you'll notice that after 10-15 turns, there will be a few spotted enemy arty pieces in the enemy's side of the map, even though you have no troops there to see it. That's because WinSPWW2 allows you to locate enemy positions by sound, and this simulates how in real life you would have a rough idea where the enemy batteries are if they fired enough times. But this works in the same way for you, so buying some support trucks is a good idea to fire a few salvos and then high-tail it out of there to a new location. Take some time before the round starts (when you're deploying your troops) and try to find a good spot for your arty where you can fire and then move to a new spot in a few turns. Normally I'm too lazy to do this and I lose all my arty :D.

A couple other tips in case you didn't know:

• Artillery is slightly weaker on snow (but only slightly)
  • You don't necessarily need to kill enemies to get rid of them: if they're hiding in a building and you collapse that building with arty, they can get pinned, suppressed, and might even retreat. By the same token, if they're hiding in a wooded area, bushes, underbrush, etc. artillery and mortars can sometimes start a fire, and soldiers in a hex that has fire in it do not fight as well anymore
  • My favorite: artillery can destroy bridges and thoroughly fuck over the enemy advance if the bridge was key to their strategy. The heavier the better, a light mortars and field guns won't do much but if you spot a wooden bridge for a barrage with 25-pounders or LeFH 105s, a direct hit can break the bridge. Stone bridges are tougher, but heavy arty like 150mm SiG or 152mm Russian guns can take them out. And if there are enemies on the bridge, they fall to their deaths into the river :D

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 24-12-2013, 20:12:47 »
Plokhaya Zadnitsa!!!!!

bad ass in russian

;D

LOL that's so off.
Hahaha.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 24-12-2013, 21:12:27 »
Did that list of tonks still available mean ones in need of a commander?  Can I be in charge of the obsolete tanks?