Author Topic: Finish the italians  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Re: Finish the italians
« Reply #45 on: 13-03-2016, 16:03:35 »
Operation Herring sounds like a very interesting scenario for a map. I would love to see that one portrayed in FH2 one day  :)

Yup. never tried http://battlegroup42.wikia.com/wiki/4504-Operation_Herring

Could be awesome in a FH2 remake :-)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13-03-2016, 17:03:32 »
Looks like it's scaled too much and arcadish. All Battlegroup42 maps looks the same for me.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13-03-2016, 17:03:38 »
So battle Italians vs Italians?  ;D

No dice on that- they were specifically deployed to not have to face RSI units.
A little like the Japanese Americans who fought on the Italian front, because the US Army wanted to avoid them fighting any Japanese soldiers.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17-03-2016, 21:03:56 »
Operation Herring sounds like a very interesting scenario for a map. I would love to see that one portrayed in FH2 one day  :)

Yup. never tried http://battlegroup42.wikia.com/wiki/4504-Operation_Herring

Could be awesome in a FH2 remake :-)

I looked at the area in Google Earth and it is flat as a table with the occasional village and orchard. Dunno you could make a good infantry map out of it.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18-03-2016, 04:03:15 »
I'd say it's all about design- the battle was, after all, over a bridge or two, plus villages.  Sounds like a good mix of country and town combat, with focal point being the bridge.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 18-03-2016, 04:03:46 »
Pretty much like Pegasus Bridge then, allied paratroopers trying to wrestle a bridge that is important for German defensive line.

Minus the gliders and German counter attack.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18-03-2016, 05:03:33 »
Basically, yep.  The interesting thing is that they were almost entirely armed with Beretta SMGs- so that would make for...interesting combat.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 18-03-2016, 14:03:22 »
Do you know anything about their uniforms? Could the British Paratrooper models we have (maybe with different ammo pouches) be used for them?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 18-03-2016, 16:03:44 »
Yes, they effectively wore British para uniforms.  They also wore British helmets.  Here is a photo of them prior to the attack:

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18-03-2016, 16:03:16 »
Interesting. Sadly it seems to small scale an action to make a proper 100p map out of it, otherwise I would be seriously tempted :D

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 18-03-2016, 17:03:18 »
Well you could always couple it with the British advance to meet them, as Herring was undertaken in support of the British 8th Army's push to the Po River.  So basically hybrid it with British pushing from the south against German defenses, plus Italian para (represented with the assualt kit with a Beretta) spawning behind the German lines around the bridges over the Po).  The Operation itself lasted 72 hours and there was wide dispersal of the italian para on both sides of the bridge, so it wouldn't be unfair to think there were periods during with the Italian para were both fighting behind German lines and fighting alongside the Brits in pushing over the bridges.
« Last Edit: 18-03-2016, 17:03:53 by VonMudra »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 18-03-2016, 17:03:42 »
It sounds like the entire thing would be within the scale of Pegasus, Port-en-Bessin and Purple Heart Lane. So I'd say it isnt too small of a battle to make a map out of.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18-03-2016, 21:03:47 »
Agreed with that, so it works with or without the British army being shown participating too.  Also, this thread still includes my notes about the RSI offensive in late 1944, and the other Italian Royal Army actions undertaken on the allied side at Monte Cassino, the Gothic Line drive, and during the breakout from the Gothic Line.  The best part about those is that for Monte Cassino, the Italians were wearing their standard tropical kit and using their normal weapons (so literally the same as their africa skins), and for the rest of it they wore British uniforms and used British weapons, with the only differences being insignia, beretta SMGs (as well as thompsons, don't think I've yet seen them using stens), and if you show the Bersag/Alpini units, the feather plumes attached to their british helmets.

Basically, you have literally everything you need to make them work already completed.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 19-03-2016, 12:03:06 »
Wow,really special battle
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Not So Civil Engy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21-03-2016, 17:03:39 »
Does anyone actually use the mine detectors?
Pretty useless most of the time as you need to get so close to a mine to detect it, but I've used them occasionally on maps like Mareth (as Brits) where you have major choke points for advancing tanks. Those bridges before the first flags often get mined by sneaky stay-behind squads who can take out tank after tank after Brits have capped the flags. I've saved a few tanks by guarding the bridge as an engineer, finding mines with the detector and taking them out with the wrench.

Would miss them if they're removed, but I would like to see them beefed up so you can detect mines in a much larger radius, if that's possible?

What would actually be neat is if instead of having instant kill minefields for tanks, have the mine fields pre-populated with mines, so that infantry could clear a path for tanks to avoid choke points.