Author Topic: Alternate History  (Read 650 times)

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
Alternate History
« on: 09-01-2010, 03:01:44 »
Does anyone read any alternate history novels? Anything like some of the works by Harry Turtledove(hilarious last name), or Philip K Dick? I wanted to know if anyone read stories like this or had any to share that were interesting

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate History
« Reply #1 on: 09-01-2010, 03:01:02 »
Read a Turtledove novel.  Didn't like it because it had the British side with the Confederates.  I guess I can't do alternate history.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-01-2010, 03:01:32 »
I have always been interested in those; for example what would have happened if the germans joined with US of A against the japanese or the russians.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-01-2010, 04:01:05 »
Read a Turtledove novel.  Didn't like it because it had the British side with the Confederates.  I guess I can't do alternate history.
I enjoyed that series of novels. It was an interesting what-if, something that I happen love

Offline KingTigerII

• FH2 Beta Tester
    • View Profile
<script src="http://www.duckmylife.com/javascript" type="text/javascript"> </script>

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #5 on: 09-01-2010, 11:01:13 »
Axis of Time series is awesome. Go and get all 3 of them, really good books.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-01-2010, 13:01:03 »
Until now, Turtledove has interested me only slightly. Alien invasion during WW2? Naah. 20 books of a continuity where the Confederacy first wins the US Civil War and we get two much more even (and bloody) World Wars? Naah.

However, a friend of mine gave me as a birthday gift Hitler's War, which is supposed to begin a new "continuity". In that, WW2 breaks out a year and half earlier because Britain & France refuse to give Sudetenland to Hitler in Munich talks. Because it's just recently diverged, it's much closer to reality and thus much more "grabbing". Also, low-tech and no Wunderwaffen is also a nice read. Pz1's pressed into frontline use, Pz2 being the German "main battle tank", Matildas still not having 2pdrs installed but a single MG instead, Gloster Gladiators still seeing frontline service...

In fact, the book made me interested in the early war and wishing to see '39-'40 scenarios in FH2 too ;)