Author Topic: Motherboards, and other comp stuff  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
Motherboards, and other comp stuff
« on: 01-01-2011, 08:01:04 »
Well I had once posted that I was planning to upgrade my PC, and I was originally going to try out something Intel related, but the price was killing me so I went back to the very competent AMD. I don't have the largest budget, but I am planning to get a Phenom II X6 1055T processor, but I need some other parts that I haven't decided(Graphics card, HDD, RAM), but mainly a motherboard (the other stuff I at least have an idea), but suggestions on those are also welcome. I am trying to build something cheap that can multitask with games and work, mostly for school. I already have a case, and a DVD drive I plan to use, but the rest of the stuff is not yet owned/decided upon.

So if anyone can help me with my decisions, that would be great. If I forgot to mention something (doing this late at night so I may have forgotten something) please ask. Oh, and my budget is roughly $550-$650, or €400-€500.
« Last Edit: 01-01-2011, 08:01:48 by Desertfox »

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
Re: Motherboards, and other comp stuff
« Reply #1 on: 01-01-2011, 09:01:24 »
What sort of software you want to run? Heavy stuff? Photoshop?

Offline Bang0o

• FH-Betatester
  • I am Important!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-01-2011, 12:01:35 »
GigaByte GA-890XA-UD3

you will need a 890fx chipset for that phenom sixcore sixcore
« Last Edit: 01-01-2011, 12:01:03 by Bang0o »

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-01-2011, 15:01:51 »
As for software, mainly just word, a little gimp, and 3dsmax when I learn how to use it.

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-01-2011, 16:01:28 »
look at the 6870 for your new videocard, its around $225
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-01-2011, 17:01:54 »
Remember, for video games, always spend more money on the graphics card rather than the CPU. The CPU is better for other things like encrypting .rar files, not for getting smooth FPS.

Offline Vernah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-01-2011, 20:01:55 »
I would stick with a quad core processor if anything. Six cores won't be used for all applications, whereas quad cores are now being utilized by more programs.  I would go with the 3.4 ghz AMD quad core processor than the six core, or an intel quad core.

The AMD 6870 would be the perfect choice, they're good on power, powerful and if you feel you need mOAR power you can just throw another one in there or even a 3rd. They're very good on power :D Just make sure u get 700+ power supply to handle multiple GPUs.

Motherboard, just make sure it's compatible with crossfire and the AM3 socket, unless you are going to go intel. Intel CPUs are more powerful...but also much more expensive.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-01-2011, 01:01:41 »
GigaByte GA-890XA-UD3

you will need a 890fx chipset for that phenom sixcore sixcore

You could also try an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

Remember, for video games, always spend more money on the graphics card rather than the CPU. The CPU is better for other things like encrypting .rar files, not for getting smooth FPS.

Veto! Any mid price video card will be fine. I do it just the opposite way. I spend more money on the CPU, looking for it to last an average of 5 years, while I'm fine with 3 years on the videocard. Within 3 years, development on video cards will have made a huge leap forward, giving you superior hardware at a decent price that can be exchanged much more easily than the CPU which is often affecting also mainboard and memory and thus requires the OS to be renewed. But there is nothing more easy than installing a new videocard.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-01-2011, 06:01:37 »
I chose the hexa-core for some longevity. If the quad core will last I will consider, but  eventually more applications use the hexa-core yes? As for graphics cards, I was going for something about mid-range, not too high priced.

Offline Vicious

• I belong to Naughty Club
  • Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-01-2011, 07:01:02 »
just from a quick look at the intel i5 560 is the same price and the cache is 2MB bigger, it runs on less energy... thus cooler... i'd go with intel. seems amd is clearly beat.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-01-2011, 07:01:38 »
 AMD is always the better choice, especially when you consider that you can have a 3.2ghz tripple core for 75 euros .... which is all you need for gaming.

I wouldnt buy a hexa core if the most taxing thing is gaming, buy an AMD 955 and spend any money save on a better videocard.
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-01-2011, 09:01:13 »
The 955 was actually my backup choice. Now I need to finalize my decision on what mobo to get...

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-01-2011, 11:01:31 »
...the price was killing me so I went back to the very competent AMD...
All I can say is, fuck INTEL's overpriced shit.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition (3.2GHz Dual core - Socket AM3)

I bought this CPU because it's actually a quad-core with 2 cores switched off, and rumour had it there was a good chance you could unlock those extra cores if you had the right mobo.

Well...that and the unlocked multiplier.

Had to bump the voltage up a bit to get it there, and put an aftermarket cooler on it to keep temp's down, but I ran it at 3.96GHz for a couple of months and it didn't miss a beat.

(I did turn it up as far as 4.027GHz, and it would boot up ok, but it'd reset itself every time I tried to stress test it... :P)

Then I successfully unlocked both cores, but I haven't really tried to find it's limit as a quad. I just turned it up a bit (to 3.5GHz) and left it at that until I get some half-decent RAM:

Not bad for a hundred dollar CPU... ;)

...you will need a 890fx chipset for that phenom sixcore sixcore
U bin drinkin' bloke?

Check Gigabyte's site...most, if not all, AMD chipsets support six-core CPU's.

To answer your question DF, I'd suggest Gigabyte's GA-880GA-UD3H, it's about $125 down here so should be about the same over there...

Unless you plan on going for a Crossfire/SLI setup in the future, in which case I'd go for a GA-890FXA-UD5 (about $205)

- http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=3628,3519

You also might want to look into getting an SSD. It may not have the capacity your after for the money, but you can always add more hard drives later.

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-01-2011, 12:01:11 »
Why get an SSD? (Not very knowledgeable about them to be honest).  I only plan to do to my new CPU like I did this one when it comes to overclocking, which is just a little to increase performance, but nothing to extravagant, so I can just use the stock cooler. I was curious to know if there was any specific type of Ram that was good, I was just looking at some  OCZ or Patriot, about 4-8 gigs or so.  I am really liking the GA-880GA-UD3H, nice price, and it seems to have just what I want.

Right now my thoughts are

Mobo: GA-880GA-UD3H -$109.99
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 unlocked Black Edition -$139.99
RAM: Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) -$99.00
HDD: Not sure yet, want something with large capacity though - hopefully $100 or less
GPU: Not completely sure, but something that is good enough to run anything out there well. - around $100-$150

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-01-2011, 16:01:43 »
i would buy the 870 board instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443

It ditches the onboard videogpu for 8+2 phases instead of the 4+1, means it stays cooler , more OC headroom etc.