Author Topic: Tanking in 2.4  (Read 8411 times)

Offline bjack

• in_ur_base, campin ur planez
    • View Profile
Tanking in 2.4
« on: 01-08-2011, 20:08:38 »
Seeking discussion on tanks since 2.4!  Please share/confirm/dispute your experiences here.
Updated

I have one-shot a King Tiger, straight on side shot with 90mm HVAP (in the M36 Jackson).   I was able to one-shot the Jagdpanther frontally at long range with 90mm HVAP.  Regular 90mm did about 75% health damage to the Jagdpanther frontal.

Jumbo vs Panther:  Panther can't penetrate the frontal Jumbo medium/long rage.
75mm Sherman can do heavy damage to a Panther from the front if you bounce a shot around the front track!

6 pounder/57 MM (Falaise pocket):  57mm APDS penetrated but did not kill frontal Stug nor Panther medium/long range.

« Last Edit: 06-08-2011, 19:08:24 by bjack »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: Tanking in 2.4
« Reply #1 on: 01-08-2011, 20:08:23 »
Threads like this are bit pointless. Just quessing and speculating, while we could just test them on lan server.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-08-2011, 07:08:21 »
Seeking discussion on tanks since 2.4!  Please share/confirm/dispute your experiences here.

I have one-shot a King Tiger, straight on side shot with 90mm HVAP (in the M36 Jackson).  Also if I recall correctly, I was able to one-shot the Jagdpanther frontally at long range with 90mm HVAP.

Jumbo vs Panther:  Panther can't penetrate the frontal Jumbo medium/long rage.

These are perfectly correct.

Offline Mobilis_in_Mobili

• VC Firefly & Achilles Crew Apply Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-08-2011, 20:08:09 »
I've used the 76 and 75 shermans, plus the 75 cromwells to place hits on the rear end of the panthers and tigers; but no instant kill in several cases.  I realize the 75ers might take two or more, but why does the 76 fail?... but can someone provide a "hit block" to show where not to aim on the rear (i.e. chassis versus?).  I want to know the best in game places to hit the rear with the 76; I don't need to hear about the historical reality.
Breakfast of Champions: Tigers, Panthers, Pumas, Stugs, & Panzerfausts-on-Legs.

Offline bjack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-08-2011, 04:08:20 »
Here's the King Tiger mesh.  I don't really know what I'm doing or how to interpret.  Perhaps shooting from behind hits the same thick armor as the sides?  Turret or onto top of deck are weak spots?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-08-2011, 12:08:09 »
Here's the King Tiger mesh.  I don't really know what I'm doing or how to interpret.  Perhaps shooting from behind hits the same thick armor as the sides?  Turret or onto top of deck are weak spots?

Indeed as KT had the same armor thickness at the rear. But I'm confused as it looks like the turret has the same armor thickness all around? Or is it because of the angle system?
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-08-2011, 03:08:06 »
the turret of KT is surely a soft-spot that I'll always target it with any kind of weapons (AT gun/bazooka) unless I got the 76mm gun which 2 shots a KT in the side, don't ever try to challenge a KT frontally or to let it have any chance of running away (because when it seek revenge you're done). Somehow curiously the M9 zook is the most effective weapon against a KT as 3 well-placed shots would destroy it.

when shooting at pzIIIs with 6 pounder frontally, shoot at the turret, hull is easier to hit but usually bad angles therefore cannot 1s1k.

I have absolutely no idea how to 1 shot 1 kill stugs with a lower-calibre gun as you often need two shots even to the rear.

panther G is a tough nut to crack with a 75mm gun as you cannot one shot it from the side with good angles, if it is frontally facing you (the hull), check whether you can shoot at the side of turret, else, don't waste your ammo.

When you shoot at a crusader III with a 50mm gun I do not advise shooting at the turret.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-08-2011, 03:08:07 »
If you are close to the panther, shoot the commanders cupola. Killed few Panthers that way (esp. effective with Jumbo)
Also When shooting it from side aim at the tracks, shouls be 1s1k then. (Cromwells 75 does that)
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-08-2011, 07:08:37 »
If you are close to the panther, shoot the commanders cupola. Killed few Panthers that way (esp. effective with Jumbo)
Also When shooting it from side aim at the tracks, shouls be 1s1k then. (Cromwells 75 does that)

cromwell is 1s1k but a regular sherman only badly damage the panther G, tested many times on local.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-08-2011, 14:08:54 »

I have absolutely no idea how to 1 shot 1 kill stugs with a lower-calibre gun as you often need two shots even to the rear.

What do you call a lower-calibre gun? I played on Cobra yesterday. Frontaly the StuG can be taken out by a 76 with one shot with a well placed shot between gun and hull. But I advise not to attack a StuG frontaly, because the chance of getting killed is much higher, than to kill him. When you are facing his side with a Sherman (75mm) shoot at his tracks under the skirts and the chance of 1S1K is quiet good also on longer ranges.
This are only my experiences from a round on Cobra maybe someone experienced something completetly different.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-08-2011, 20:08:59 »

What do you call a lower-calibre gun? I played on Cobra yesterday. Frontaly the StuG can be taken out by a 76 with one shot with a well placed shot between gun and hull. But I advise not to attack a StuG frontaly, because the chance of getting killed is much higher, than to kill him. When you are facing his side with a Sherman (75mm) shoot at his tracks under the skirts and the chance of 1S1K is quiet good also on longer ranges.
This are only my experiences from a round on Cobra maybe someone experienced something completetly different.

I'd never try to engage any armor from the front no matter how big gun I get - I am talking about a side or rear hit with the 75mm sherman.

Now it becomes a dilemma whether to shoot that stug in the ass/side or not - what if I didn't kill him? He'll turn, and if I don't have room to maneuver (sometimes I'm in some kind of ambush-cover that I can't move around, mostly would be stopped by a tree or some stupid stonewalls), I'll be dead 70% of the time (as always, another friendly round would kill it).

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-09-2011, 14:09:35 »
As I mentioned: if you shoot at the tracks of the StuG from the side with the 75 mm under the skirt, the chance of killing it is not that bad. Ofcourse it is some kind of gambling, but not more, than in other tank fights. I had several more ridiciolous moments even with APC's or other tanks, than engaging a StuG with a Sherman (75mm). The engagement from the frontside with 76 mm is more a worst case thing than a real tactic. The best thing is to get as close as possible to it's front or rear with the 75 mm Sherman and to hope for not getting detected by the StuG -> then you can 1S1K the StuG. It is the same as with any other tank. Though you are mostly done, if the StuG has detected you. Panther is more difficult in my opinion. Best thing is to team up with other tankers to give the possibility to flank. This works fantastic especialy on maps like Alam Halfa or Cobra, where the you have much space but still some corridors.

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-09-2011, 15:09:15 »
I fired shots at a panther gun mantlet with a 76mm sherman, didn't kill it. Panther fires at me, it bounces off. I fire again, it bounces off. Panther fires again, i'm dead meat. I thought 76mm should punch through with ease?
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline bjack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-09-2011, 18:09:59 »
I fired shots at a panther gun mantlet with a 76mm sherman, didn't kill it. Panther fires at me, it bounces off. I fire again, it bounces off. Panther fires again, i'm dead meat. I thought 76mm should punch through with ease?

The trick vs Panther is hitting center of the front-facing track.  75mm does enormous damage there.  One 76mm shell there might be a kill.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03-09-2011, 18:09:42 »
Tank tracks are not weak points in Fh2. that is an urban legend. The Panther A has a weak spot on the lower gun plate though.