Author Topic: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover  (Read 23371 times)

[11PzG]matyast

Re: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
« Reply #30 on: 24-03-2011, 16:03:28 »

I'm very tempted to pre-order it but the price is a bit off-putting, particularly with Portal 2 coming out soon too...

It is 36e from a finnish web shop, which is a fair price. I am sure play.com will have a good price up soon.

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #31 on: 24-03-2011, 18:03:25 »
It's £29.99 on Steam and other digital download providers. I can't seem to find a disc copy for sale anywhere on UK online shops.

Edit:

Here's why: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/5151024809

What version of the game is available in my country?
The Collector’s Edition is available in the UK (exclusively via the Ubishop) and throughout Europe.
In the UK the CE is the only boxed version available to buy.
Digital download version of the game is available in the US.
« Last Edit: 24-03-2011, 18:03:16 by Mr_Cheese »

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #32 on: 25-03-2011, 08:03:49 »
It's out in Russia right now and from what I've been reading, it's practically a disaster.

Lots of people are saying it runs horribly even on super-high end computers, with low graphics set.

The devs are claiming that it's because of an "anti-epilepsy" feature that UBI pushed on them at the last moment which practically gimps the entire game, but I'm not to sure.

I'm still going to get it, but I'm not going to be surprised if it's a mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsDs-l9LHA
« Last Edit: 25-03-2011, 08:03:52 by Lupin »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25-03-2011, 09:03:08 »
Ugh. 5 fps on that kind of rig, and it does not look any better than old IL-2 on that detail level?

I would assume that it really requires two GPU's, either on a single card or Crossfire'd/SLI'd, because even the fastest single-GPU cards are not that much faster than 4890. 5850/6850 is maybe 10% faster, 5870/6870 30% or thereabouts, even a 6970 is some 50-60% faster, so instead of 5 fps you might get a whopping 8 fps :P (Figures very rough approximations on the basis of tomshardware.com charts.)

One question is also whether is really requires DX11 (even though it would "run" on DX9/DX10 hardware), which the 4xxx series doesn't, but somehow I doubt that (bearing in mind that the game was originally supposed to come out in 2006...)

Might be better to wait for a patch, or for the computers catching up in a few years.

Offline Pascucci the Whiner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25-03-2011, 10:03:00 »
It's out in Russia right now and from what I've been reading, it's practically a disaster.

Lots of people are saying it runs horribly even on super-high end computers, with low graphics set.

The devs are claiming that it's because of an "anti-epilepsy" feature that UBI pushed on them at the last moment which practically gimps the entire game, but I'm not to sure.

I'm still not too worried, they'll probably fix it in a patch. It kinda reminds me of ArmA II when it was released, it was totally unplayable due to lag issues. They fixed it in a series of patches and now it's great.

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #35 on: 25-03-2011, 10:03:28 »
Ugh. 5 fps on that kind of rig, and it does not look any better than old IL-2 on that detail level?

I would assume that it really requires two GPU's, either on a single card or Crossfire'd/SLI'd, because even the fastest single-GPU cards are not that much faster than 4890. 5850/6850 is maybe 10% faster, 5870/6870 30% or thereabouts, even a 6970 is some 50-60% faster, so instead of 5 fps you might get a whopping 8 fps :P (Figures very rough approximations on the basis of tomshardware.com charts.)

One question is also whether is really requires DX11 (even though it would "run" on DX9/DX10 hardware), which the 4xxx series doesn't, but somehow I doubt that (bearing in mind that the game was originally supposed to come out in 2006...)

Might be better to wait for a patch, or for the computers catching up in a few years.

From what I've read, it doesn't support dual GPUs, and to make matters worse, dual GPUs actually make it run slower. And I don't think it runs on dx11 either.

I'm still not too worried, they'll probably fix it in a patch. It kinda reminds me of ArmA II when it was released, it was totally unplayable due to lag issues. They fixed it in a series of patches and now it's great.

I sure hope so. I've always enjoyed the il2 series and I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for this. Hopefully by the time it reaches England and the States they'll iron out a lot of these problems.

Here's a nice looking screenshot:
« Last Edit: 25-03-2011, 10:03:38 by Lupin »

Offline Bang0o

• FH-Betatester
  • I am Important!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25-03-2011, 13:03:09 »

well at the end of the vid it seemed to run fine. i got almost the same rig, so i am not worried about :D

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25-03-2011, 14:03:13 »
Oh great, they are releasing the game with an Epilepsy filter by demand from UBI.... screw ubi, sorry Oleg, not gonna by this now

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25-03-2011, 17:03:13 »
Wait, what happend to that Storm of War game?

I really dont see the point of limiting the number flyable aircraft. I want to take part of the damn battle damnit, i want to use all airplanes. IL2 with that old AAA Mod was badass, you could use almost every single airplane (Including the millions of Me109s Models ;D) and play WW2 like a real WW2!!

Battle of Britain is kinda boring. Yes you have quite alot of options if it comes with a Full Mission Builder, like attack ships, bombing missions, landings, you name it. But its so, limited, just Britain, Germany and Italy... Thanks but, no.

But i think the Mediterranean will be 1000 times better. It has more nations (Greece, Italy, France, Germany, UK, Australia, US etc) and moar navy. Its alot better imo.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25-03-2011, 17:03:58 »
Wait, what happend to that Storm of War game?

This is it.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25-03-2011, 18:03:37 »
Like I posted above Tore, this is how the original IL-2 started out.  If you didn't play it, then to explain, it was only germans and russians, an IL-2, russian "fighter" and german "fighter" campaign, and that was it.  You couldn't choose what planes to fly, all combat was pre scripted, all planes you'd use were pre-scripted, and, not counting version types, there were only 12 flyable planes.  So this game is going the same route.

On the topic of the "epilectic" issue.  I read through the forums, and it looks like the devs know about it, and are fighting to fix it "within days, not weeks."  So hopefully, it'll be fixed soon....  The main thing is that it apparently does not support SLI.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25-03-2011, 19:03:34 »
I hope it'll cover the whole WW2 then ;D

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25-03-2011, 19:03:12 »
Phoney war, Battle of France, Overlord and bombing the Reich are possible expansions IMO.

Imagine it.. Flying CAS with Typhoons, destroying Tigers and Panthers and other stuff.. Or the Legend of Y-29 AKA Operation Bodenplatte, or fighting the ME-262 in your Mustang.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #43 on: 27-03-2011, 10:03:28 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1s4xGXzVrY

Hurricanes can fly without wings!  ;)

Offline AlexS66

• A fine English gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27-03-2011, 11:03:47 »
I dont like the look of the plane based destruction parts of the plane fall off like the glued on with pritt stick. im sure they will iron out the details. or maybe im looking in the wrong places.