Author Topic: How to tell my mom I want to be a Marine?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
How to tell my mom I want to be a Marine?
« on: 15-12-2012, 02:12:21 »
The title is self explaining. I've been here for a year already, I already have my green card, and I decided to join. Since I came as a refugee, I was given asylum and full residence. And now, I want to join the Marine Corps as a M1 Abrams tank gunner.

It wont be easy but....my mother, a person that is very stern about the military and always saying that the military are a big problem here, doing war for nothing, and she's very worrysome.

I dont want to break her, but, she will go insane with this. But, I already enlisted, and my delayed fitness program is gonna begin by next week.

How could I do to break the news to her?

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Re: How to tell my mom I want to be a Marine?
« Reply #1 on: 15-12-2012, 02:12:14 »
Don't. Get shot. Let Purple Heart be send to her address. Done.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-12-2012, 02:12:54 »
When I was on the main forum index the thread title was "How to tell my mom I.." and I was sure it would be "How do I tell my mom I'm gay?".

Fortunately, this should be much easier to explain to her. It's your life man, even a mother that actually believes in war and all the rest of it won't be too hot on her son joining the Marines, but she'll get over it. It might be easier to address it in a letter, rather than face to face, so she will have some time to cool off before she says anything about it. When it comes down to it it's your life and it's the only one you'll ever get, do what you want and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-12-2012, 02:12:48 »
run away but put a lifelike dummy in your bed so she just thinks that you're very sleepy for a few years.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-12-2012, 02:12:28 »
To be honest, if she is against military and you are sure that she would not want you to join the Marines at all, just tell her straight that this is what you'd like to do. I can imagine that it's probably really hard, but just be honest and tell it to her calmly.

I'd make sure to meet up with her personally (if possible) and choose a day she has few stress (if possible). The thing that will probably set her up is that you already enlisted and you did not tell her. Guess you should have told your plans earlier, but there's no way back. With every day you hesitate she might be more disappointed. Furthermore express that this is the right way to go for you. Bid her to respect your decision if she's upset.

I'm not a fan of military for myself (especially not of US) but others decisions should always be respected. It might take some time for your mother, but I guess she will respect your decision in some way too. Especially when you talk to her honestly. If you wait or you are not honest and she finds out, she might get angry at you as person not only at the decision which is the way bigger deal. So I'd man up and tell what's going on. Other than that, trust your gut feeling. Good luck ;)
« Last Edit: 15-12-2012, 02:12:07 by Surfbird »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-12-2012, 03:12:41 »
Aren't you from Venezuela?

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #6 on: 15-12-2012, 03:12:01 »

From what he is saying I would assume he is a USA citizen now.

So why do you want to be a Marine?  That would go a long way in helping your mother understand.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-12-2012, 03:12:10 »
 Tell her about the positives,

like the G.I. bill, health and dental care, a pension (if you were to make a career) and most notably, your enhanced path to citizenship.

If you serve honourably, I believe that would help ensure your family is kept in the States.

Tell her you love her and i know your latin, so make sure you bloody well call her every chance you get. Otherwise, she will have your balls in no time.

Good luck,
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15-12-2012, 05:12:55 »
He is Latin, but has a German background, that should count. I know they are very2 rational people.

Being in the military, they'll pay your tuition fees at good schools of your choice when your service is over.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-12-2012, 06:12:21 »
To be honest, if she is against military and you are sure that she would not want you to join the Marines at all, just tell her straight that this is what you'd like to do. I can imagine that it's probably really hard, but just be honest and tell it to her calmly.

I'd make sure to meet up with her personally (if possible) and choose a day she has few stress (if possible). The thing that will probably set her up is that you already enlisted and you did not tell her. Guess you should have told your plans earlier, but there's no way back. With every day you hesitate she might be more disappointed. Furthermore express that this is the right way to go for you. Bid her to respect your decision if she's upset.

I'm not a fan of military for myself (especially not of US) but others decisions should always be respected. It might take some time for your mother, but I guess she will respect your decision in some way too. Especially when you talk to her honestly. If you wait or you are not honest and she finds out, she might get angry at you as person not only at the decision which is the way bigger deal. So I'd man up and tell what's going on. Other than that, trust your gut feeling. Good luck ;)

Thanks for the kind words. I will tell her straight tomorrow, and hopefully after the after shock and the screams, she will calm down once I explain a lot of things to her.

I am a resident now with a green card, meaning, that I can join.

Tell her about the positives,

like the G.I. bill, health and dental care, a pension (if you were to make a career) and most notably, your enhanced path to citizenship.

If you serve honourably, I believe that would help ensure your family is kept in the States.

Tell her you love her and i know your latin, so make sure you bloody well call her every chance you get. Otherwise, she will have your balls in no time.

Good luck,

I'll do that straight, the benefits are really good and will path any way you want to go. Plus, as a former marine after the service is over, you get extreme benefits.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-12-2012, 06:12:01 »

So why do you want to be a Marine?  That would go a long way in helping your mother understand.

She doesnt gets the military as I do, however. Since I was a little boy, I had ALWAYS admired the Marines for their courage, and they are just a few. They are always the first ones and no other military force in the US gets as much recognition as a Marine . Plus, the extreme benefits.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-12-2012, 06:12:52 »
So you want to be deployed to a real battle where the Marines are doing duty?

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-12-2012, 07:12:01 »

Okay, but just make sure you know what you're doing and also, remember who you are.

Good Luck.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-12-2012, 07:12:53 »

Okay, but just make sure you know what you're doing and also, remember who you are.

Good Luck.

Simba?

On a more serious note; it just has to happen Yustax. Personally, I would tell her a couple weeks before you ship off to basic. (or whatever the fuck the Marines call it, their system is completely different from the one I know) 
This way:
1. If she kicks you out, your Recruiter can find temporary housing for you for a couple weeks.

and 2. She won't be able to do anything about it, cannot convince you otherwise, and she'll have a little bit of time to accept it while you are still home.

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-12-2012, 08:12:49 »
Im a little under trained at this time, so I'll do a delay fitness program that they assign to you until you can do the basic stuff to be ready for boot camp. It'll take me a couple of months at least.