Author Topic: Artillery - Raised view point  (Read 759 times)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
Artillery - Raised view point
« on: 21-04-2010, 08:04:10 »
@Drawde:
Do you remember in BF1942 on BOB map you could enter the radar stations and you could spot incoming planes. Can the same system be incorporated for howitzers.
When a bot enters a howitzer, it activates a sort of radar system (similar to the spotting plane). The radar system will need to be expanded over a much larger area and BAAM! All tanks and inf are automatically seen.

What do you think about it? Is it possible to implement this system seeing that Vanilla used UAV's for radar.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Artillery - Raised view point
« Reply #1 on: 21-04-2010, 10:04:44 »
So artillery should play like a UAV/radar station in singleplaye mode?
Did you drink something prior to posting? Words like "baam" always bring that association for me. ^^

PS: The title actually suggests that you would like to increase the hight of the cam looking down on the spot. ;)
« Last Edit: 21-04-2010, 10:04:20 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-04-2010, 10:04:44 »
Personally, I think it might be possible, but it will be a whole amount of code, and I'm not sure any dev or any one skilled enough will put that much work into bots. Stlll, a fresh alternative - Really worth considering

For me, I think there should be a way to increase the view point of artillery further - Howitzers, rocket howitizers, mortar, mobile artillery etc. Planes have an insane LOS from the air - Currently, raising the view point above 15feet somehow blocks the spawn area..don't know how that happens, but it does

If we can find a way to bypass this issue and raise it to plane-level, artillery will be able to fire as far as it can aim. Next problem will be perhaps to introduce a cool down time, lest the guns with Fh2's insane splash radius become over-kill on the batlefield

I keep requesting for artillery to see infantry as the main target, but even with lowered accuracy, I wonder if it will have the active effect on gameplay or will completely imobilize players and kill bots, who don't take cover or dash from incoming arty, wholesale

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-04-2010, 15:04:27 »
So artillery should play like a UAV/radar station in singleplaye mode?
Did you drink something prior to posting? Words like "baam" always bring that association for me. ^^
PS: The title actually suggests that you would like to increase the hight of the cam looking down on the spot. ;)

It was a bit misleading! But....as you probably have read in prior posts Drawde tried raising the camera view point for arty but unfortunately he started experiencing blocked spawn points....so I was suggesting something else! (Now thinking about it doesn't make that much sense at all) And to be frank I was a bit drunk

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-04-2010, 20:04:57 »
Well, there is it..lol

Still, i'm extremely happy others besides myself are considering this at all - I think it can do wonders for AI if arty was active. Maybe we might even get to the dreamy day when calling commander artillery focuses bots on arty guns on the position you request for. Hey, I can hope, can't I?