Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 236348 times)

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1590 on: 14-10-2011, 16:10:19 »
Over half of the FH2 maps have their flags closer to each other than those on Caspian Border. Get over it already. I bet you didn't even try it.

Some maps, mostly the infantry maps. And the big gigantic vehicle/infantry maps have proper flag placement and distance. Saw the new pics of the new BF3 maps? Same tight circle flag placement.
You probably refer to all these super popular 2.0 desert maps ;)

Yeah, the ones that rock with 128 players ... :P
« Last Edit: 14-10-2011, 16:10:00 by Beaufort »

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: 14-10-2011, 16:10:31 »
... Why should a tanker who put in 150 gaming hours in a tank, not have more stuff/gadgets than some n00b who just grabzed himself a tank and went out on a lol-ride?...

I'm curious about your logic here. Why exactly should an experienced player have more gadgets on a tanks?

I certainly agree that experienced players should have an advantage over new players. However, that advantage should come from skill, not arbitrary buffs. Playing Counter Strike I'm lucky to get 1-2 kills a map, yet its not because everyone else has better weapons, its because they've been playing the game for like 10 years and have gotten exceedingly good at it. If a player plays BF3 for 150 hours, they'll know every aspect of every map, vehicle and weapon, which is more than enough of an advantage over a new player who has to consistently check his map just to figure out where a flag is. Good players should be defined by their skill, not the amount of time they've put into a game.

There's not really an realistic argument for it either. If there were still a commander/SL positions, prioritizing high ranking players for these roles would actually be kind of cool, but vehicles and even infantry equipment are relatively standardized. It's really, really strange that a player can jump out of a tank, and a different player can get in, and the tank will have changed in the meantime.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: 14-10-2011, 19:10:54 »

Playing Counter Strike I'm lucky to get 1-2 kills a map, yet its not because everyone else has better weapons, its because they've been playing the game for like 10 years and have gotten exceedingly good at it.[...]Good players should be defined by their skill, not the amount of time they've put into a game.

But didn't you just say that skill comes with time being put into the game? And its the only logical solution apart from EA guys coming to your house watching you play and evaluating you on your success of failure.

Just doing the devil's lawyer here, as always.

So far about BF3 i am thinking of buying it but currently I've spent all my money so it might take a while since i also need to upgrade my PC.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: 14-10-2011, 19:10:22 »
But didn't you just say that skill comes with time being put into the game?

No he did not, he meant that in normal games the reward for playing a lot is gaining skill. Instead of just getting even better weapons to kill newbies with.

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: 14-10-2011, 20:10:10 »
In my opinion, DICE has hit the nail on the head in BF2. I liked the unlocks there, really. But not only you could choose the unlock yourself, i.e. if you really wanted the L96 sniper rifle and not the Barett, you would choose it instead, because they were balanced for two completely different playing styles/missions (like killing a heli pilot, for example).
Moreover, they were never unbalanced. Take the MEC medic. You would pick L85A2 for long combat, G36E for medium-long, but, regardless of whether you had the unlocks, you would choose Ak101 for close combat. Thus the hypothetical "noob" always had to option to choose AK101 and have the same chanced wearpon-wise, as a long-time player with all the unlocks. Even just several months ago, when I last played vBF2, I could see the vets running with Ak101, because they wanted to get the good kit for the situation.
Why not do the same thing in BF3? I mean, a noob gets his coax MG, but a vet can swap it for extra armor, better HE or AP shells, IR camera, zoom, etc. Swap, but not get an EXTRA advantage, as it is supposed to be in BF3 (which is yet to be released and patched).
This option surely would suit both sides. I can even remember one or two noobs saying "you guys all have the cool unlocks", and then the whole server would tell them that the unlocked wearpons are not better, they are just DIFFERENT. I could see literally 99% of the vBF2 players loving the system. Not the same thing with BF3, where it could be as low as 80% or even less.
Proud member of CWC dev team (voice-recording).
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: 14-10-2011, 21:10:41 »
There will be boats  ;D

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/10/14/multiplayer-map-reveal-part-ii.aspx

WORKING TITLE> PARIS
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP011
SUPPORTED GAME MODES> ALL
BRIEF> VEHICLE/INFANTRY COMBAT IN DOWNTOWN PARIS

FICTION> THE AMERICAN INVASION OF RUSSIAN OCCUPIED PARIS IS IN FULL MOTION. THE UPSCALE AREA IN THE 7TH DISTRICT OF PARIS SERVES AS THE BATTLEGROUND.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> Seine Crossing has two sections of Paris split in the middle by the river Seine. Seine Crossing has a number of larger roads for vehicles to patrol, while infantry can sneak through tight alleyways and climb staircases to reach second or third levels inside buildings to reach a better tactical position – unless the enemy takes down the building facades. The final M-COM stations in Rush are placed inside a bank building, which is the largest indoor environments of this map and forces the attackers to slightly

WORKING TITLE> BAZAAR
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP001
BRIEF> TIGHT URBAN COMBAT

FICTION> THE BATTLE FOR CENTRAL TEHRAN HAS REACHED ITS SECOND WEEK, AND WHAT WAS EXPECTED TO BE OVER WITHIN DAYS NOW CONTINUES AS RUSSIAN AND U.S. FORCES CLASH FOR CONTROL OVER THIS ANCIENT CITY.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> We knew we wanted to do something very urban in the city center of Tehran. The fiction has you coming in two weeks after fighting started, so the tight and narrowly built city has a great deal of destruction already when you spawn into the game. Grand Bazaar is a classically mirrored map where both sides have very similar pathways, sideways, and possibilities to traverse heights to get a better view of the action. It’s a very short range close quarter combat map where shotguns tend to be favored.

WORKING TITLE> FOREST
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP007
BRIEF> VEHICLE WARFARE IN LARGE VALLEY

FICTION> A RECON RUSSIAN FORCE HAS SET UP CAMP ON THE TURKMENISTAN SIDE OF THE IRANIAN BORDER AND PROCEEDED TO TAKE OVER THE HEAVILY BUILT UP BORDER CHECKPOINT.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> Caspian Border was meant to encapsulate the classic Battlefield all-out vehicle warfare gameplay, and also to be a lush and green contrast to the more urban and desert maps in Battlefield 3. The border control splitting the map in two was introduced to add an interesting break both visually and gameplay wise in the otherwise beautiful and open landscape. Caspian Border is one of the obvious map choices if you are after the full vehicle experience, as base distances are generally too long to cover by foot. Pretty much every type of vehicle is available in this map.

WORKING TITLE> CANALS
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP017
BRIEF> MIXED COMBAT IN INDUSTRIAL SETTING

FICTION>  U.S. MARINES LAUNCH A STRIKE ON A MAJOR HARBOR BY THE NOSHAHR CANALS ON THE IRANIAN COAST. THE STRATEGICALLY IMPORTANT PORT ALLOWS FOR DEEP WATER VESSELS TO OFFLOAD ESSENTIAL MATERIALS.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> When we set out to do Noshahr Canals, we wanted to contrast the urban and rural with something more industrial. So we set Noshahr Canals up as an industrial harbor, featuring a mix of infantry, land vehicle, and boat gameplay. The attackers in Rush start out on an carrier ship and can reach the beachhead by amphibious vehicles, boats, and helicopters. All of the bases on the map have an industrial theme but still have different styles, like a train yard, dry dock, or airfield. Compared with the larger vehicle maps in the game, this allows for tighter infantry combat.

WORKING TITLE> KHARG
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP018
BRIEF> AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT

FICTION> KHARG ISLAND IS IRAN’S BIGGEST OIL EXPORT TERMINAL. IF THE U.S. CAN STAKE CONTROL OVER THIS ISLAND, IT WILL DENY THE RUSSIANS CRITICAL ACCESS TO IRANIAN OIL RESERVES.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> Kharg Island is our second map with boat gameplay. Thematically it’s representing an assault against Kharg island in the Persian sea, an industrialized island not far from the Iranian coast. The map is slightly more focused on vehicles with longer distance between flags than for example Noshahar Canals. In the Rush game mode, the beach assault begins on the coastline with a well-defended beach you need to break through to create a beachhead for further attacks on the island, before it opens up wider in the later part of the map.

THIS IS HOW WE DO IT
Creating levels at DICE is a democratic affair, and a process that is ruled in equal amounts by art and gameplay design. This in order to not only get a balanced mix of gameplay variations in the game, but also a variety of visual impressions.

At the start of the design process, the artists mocked up a number of creative briefs together with level designers Inge Jøran Holberg, Diego Jimenez and Niklas Åstrand. These briefs explain the gameplay type and idea, story and visual theme. Everyone on the Battlefield 3 development team was encouraged to vote for their favorites among the briefs and also add ideas of their own. From there, prototypes of the favorite levels were produced in so called “pods” -- pairs with a level designer and artist per map -- so the team could play them to see which ones were the most promising.

Then, the team as a whole weighed the maps against one another to see which ones would make the most compelling and diverse package to ship the game with. We finally ended up with the 9 cherry-picked multiplayer maps you can read all about here today and in yesterday’s blog post. They’re the best of the best, the maps that shone the brightest in our playtests, and the ones that combined bring out everything we want both veteran and new Battlefield players to experience in Battlefield 3 multiplayer.

Oh, and did you know there's a sand castle on one of our maps in Battlefield 3? This classic easter egg has been present in many Battlefield maps through the years. See if you can find it!

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: 14-10-2011, 22:10:00 »

Get out of here STALKER!

That reminds me of Rostok (Wild Territory) in Shadow of Chernobyl.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: 15-10-2011, 09:10:36 »
Damn it...

Now I have to try and resist the urge to read about the maps...for almost two whole weeks. :P

Although I did read far enough to see this:

Caspian Border:
...It’s quite simply one of the biggest multiplayer maps we’ve ever played in an FPS, or any genre for that matter...

- http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1086719/battlefield_3_multiplayer_map_by_map_guide.html

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: 15-10-2011, 13:10:47 »
*deletes posts*

Yustax is banned from posting to this thread until he has played the game.

OK have fun!
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: 16-10-2011, 02:10:55 »
Alright, I cleared stuff with thorondor.

How mortars work:

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/621026-battlefield-3/60633542?page=1 

"Yeah it's pretty cool...Once you select it and it's set on the ground, a mini-map shows up on the bottom left of your screen and you can easily select where you'd like the mortar round to go. Almost seemed a little too easy actually lol."

"The underwhelming splash damage was definitely still there : / I felt the same way when I played the Beta, but maybe if you equip that explosive damage perk it'll make more of an impact? (I forget what that perk's called)"

"One more thing about the mortar other than what I mentioned above, it REALLY leaves you open to gunfire and snipers depending on where you set it down. The animation of getting out of the mortar took a little more time than I would have liked it to, but I suppose that's in there to balance it out?"

"It's not really like the BC1 artillery guns, your view doesn't really change : / Rate of fire was pretty slow, and coupled with the animation of getting into and out of it, I wonder how many people will stop to use it..."

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: 16-10-2011, 04:10:23 »
Like one of those guys there, I to was underwheled by the splash damage of rockets. They take out one piece of rubble like im launching fucking cannon balls instead of HEAT rounds.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: 16-10-2011, 05:10:05 »
Geez. Thanks for such a good compliment. And Im just angry that it doesnt feel like BF, that's all.

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: 16-10-2011, 07:10:14 »
There shouldn't be a huge explosion in case of HEAT. Sure, if you load a HE rocket into your RPG-7 (PG-7VYa, OG-7V), you are supposed to get a nice explosion. HEAT round is just a narrowly-shaped jet stream of very hot combusting materials. In a way, you can think of it as a regular AP shell, i.e. you get a hole, that's it. I can't say much about other HEAT charges, which can be coupled with regular HE to disrupt the active explosive armor on the tanks.
Proud member of CWC dev team (voice-recording).
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: 16-10-2011, 07:10:47 »
And Im just angry that it doesnt feel like BF, that's all.
You didn't play it no?
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: 16-10-2011, 08:10:29 »
You didn't play it no?

It feels like another game. And yes; I did play the beta in a friend house since my pc is sucky in where I am right now. Feels different, I dont like vehicle unlocks, some basic features like the map was broken, squads and all. Also, you still have the basic features that were toned or changed down for casuals.

But that's just me, depending on the changes they do for the final game and the "features" that are still yet to come, not on release actually, then maybe I'll buy the game...but I really wish that the community make their own mod tools, would be amazing.

Well I'll stop talking here, feel free to keep posting, I wont be doing any complaining.

BTW, third seat in tanks it's confirmed to be a tank commander; he has infrared vision, I dont know if smoke grenades and he can zoom too.

Check the latest op firestorm gameplay to see it.